Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2006 11:51:24 AM EDT
So what's some of your favorite beers? I got the chance to finally try Fat Tire, man that stuff is good. Can't wait to be able to buy it out in California when I move. I just tried Abita Turbodog last night, not bad at all. Nice chocolaty taste to it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:01:35 PM EDT
That's a tough question...kinda like asking what movie stars would you like to sleep with? Far too may to list.

You're on the right track with the New Belgium stuff (Fat Tire). I used to work in the brewery, and back then we used to get 1+ free cases a week of label-reject stuff; awesome fringe benefit of working at a brewery.

You can't go wrong with other Ft. Collins, CO breweries either - there was a time when it was the micro-brew mecca. If you can get ahold of it, Odell's makes some great beer as well. Try 90 Schilling, EZ Street, Cutthroat Porter, etc. Grew up with one of their kids, and used to drink the heck out of their beer, as well.

Really can't go wrong w/ Odell's or New Belgiums depending on personal beer style preferences - they have a beer to meet most tastes.

If you get a chance on your way to CA, stop through Fort Collins, there are at least three other microbreweries there (and a dozen or more throughout the State). You should be able to get any of the big ones at any liquor store in CO and surrounding areas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:01:59 PM EDT
If you can find them, Sprecher Black Bavarian and New Glarus Spotted Cow (both from Wisconsin) are favorites. I also like the occasional Le Fin de Munde (The End of the World), mainly for its cool SHTF label.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:02:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:35:31 PM EDT
Sam Adams
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:36:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Carhlr:
Sam Adams

+ 1 billionty
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:39:53 PM EDT

Best beer on the PLANET!

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:41:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:
media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper144/stills/22k15528.jpg

Best beer on the PLANET!

Coors Light is better!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:43:40 PM EDT
Great Lakes Brewing Company's Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

Best beer ever.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 12:44:24 PM EDT by 338winmag]

Sam AdamsPointe beer

There fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:45:02 PM EDT
Chimay

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:45:31 PM EDT
All of it.....Try it all!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:45:59 PM EDT
Yuengling and Shiner Bock
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:56:04 PM EDT
If your moving out to Cali then you'll get a chance to try 'red tail ale' made by the Mendecino Brewing company as well as 'black hawk stout'. They make like 6 or 8 different beers. Good stuff.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:56:15 PM EDT
Tumners.... Really good beir.........WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:58:05 PM EDT
Newcastle Brown Ale
yum
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:04:38 PM EDT
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Ale
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:07:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 1:16:16 PM EDT by HoustonHusker]
My wife and I went downtown to the Flying Saucer a week ago, and they have 240+ beers from all over the world there-a little less than half on tap.

We joined their club and once we've tasted 200 different beers we'll get a plate on the wall or ceiling with our names on it. The only 'gotcha' is that you can only count 3 new beers per visit even if you might drink 5 or 6.

It's going to take quite awhile to complete it, but I've never been anywhere like this before, and the staff is like walking beer encyclopedia's. They are just unreal.

www.beerknurd.com is their website, but they're continuing to grow into other states.

HH
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:08:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:08:50 PM EDT
Go for some of the specialty Sam Adams beers. They make soem REALLY good beers that appeal to a wide range of tastes. I really like Brown Ale, Black Lager and Hefeweizen, and strongly reccomend all three.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:09:56 PM EDT
best beer=cold+wet+free

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:12:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildlandFirefighter:
All of it.....Try it all!!!!!

+1!!!! If I have to recommend a beer that everyone has heard of but not many have tried it's Guinness, but make sure it's from a tap or one of the Draughts (can or bottle). The crap in the bottle that's charged with carbon dioxide is revolting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 1:15:44 PM EDT by viper5194]
Augustiner Braeu Edelstoff , the best beer I have ever had. Brewed and imported from Munich, Germany since 1328 AD... The only beer I now drink and alot say its the best in the world. Only place I have found it is in Cincinnati Ohio in Jungle Jims food market.

A little history lesson:

The history of Augustiner Braeu, due to about 670 years of tradition Munich's oldest brewery, has begun in the year 1294, as the cornerstone of the Augustinian Monastery was laid on the Haberfeld (Field of Haber) at the Neuhauser Gasse (Lane to Neuhaus). It is documentary acknowledged that already in the year 1328 a brewery existed within the monastery and an excellent beer was brewed there. This did not change in spite of a major fire in that year which spared the building. Therefore 1328 is considered as the foundation year of the Augustiner brewery, which is thereby the oldest of all existing breweries resident in Munich.

Since the brewing house's first day and until the secularization in the year 1803, when many Bavarian monasteries were put under state control by Napoleons' reforms, the very well-known beer had continually been brewed there. It was then sold in the internal tavern, very popular because of its high spirits, since the monastery possessed both brewing and selling rights. Moreover the brewery was exampted from any taxes, a bonus from the prince for the extraordinary quality of the monks' beer.

After the takeover of the monastery by the state and the walkout of the brotherhood, the brewery was denationalized and moved then in 1817 to the Neuhauser Straße (Road to Neuhaus) 275, in the meantime NR. 27 and situated in the pedestrian precinct of Munich. The brewing house has been accommodated in the second principal firm only until 1885, later the restaurant took its place and still stands there nowadays, although rearranged at the beginning of the 19th century by the well-known architect Emanuel of Seidl.

The next area housing the brewery should become the Kellerareal (cellar area) at the Landsberger Straße (Road to Landsberg), nowadays NR. 31 to 35 and also location of the "Braeustueberl", where the brewery is still situated today. This last and in the meantime well-tried move is to owe to the Wagner family, particularly to Mr. Anton and Mrs. Therese, who bought 1829 the company and thereupon led it as a private brewery, as all their successors have done up to now.

In the course of its history, Augustiner Braeu got over some wars, a privatisation and many extensions without ever forgetting its philosophy or risking the quality of its beer. This has made of Augustiner Braeu an important element of Munich's culture as well as of its restaurants and beer gardens - mainly the Augustiner-Keller (Augustiner Cellar) and the Hirschgarten (Deer Garden) - places of old-Munich's typical social life and cosiness.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:17:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:19:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Anteverius:
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Anteverius/bigfoot.jpg

+1 Hell yeah, that stuff rocks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:20:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:21:27 PM EDT
Yuengling or go home!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:22:37 PM EDT
I don't think you can get it outside of the midwest area around Minnesota, but Grain Belt Premium is my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:24:55 PM EDT
billy beer..

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:26:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By viper5194:
Augustiner Braeu Edelstoff , the best beer I have ever had. Brewed and imported from Munich, Germany since 1328 AD... The only beer I now drink and alot say its the best in the world. Only place I have found it is in Cincinnati Ohio in Jungle Jims food market.

A little history lesson:

The history of Augustiner Braeu, due to about 670 years of tradition Munich's oldest brewery, has begun in the year 1294, as the cornerstone of the Augustinian Monastery was laid on the Haberfeld (Field of Haber) at the Neuhauser Gasse (Lane to Neuhaus). It is documentary acknowledged that already in the year 1328 a brewery existed within the monastery and an excellent beer was brewed there. This did not change in spite of a major fire in that year which spared the building. Therefore 1328 is considered as the foundation year of the Augustiner brewery, which is thereby the oldest of all existing breweries resident in Munich.

Since the brewing house's first day and until the secularization in the year 1803, when many Bavarian monasteries were put under state control by Napoleons' reforms, the very well-known beer had continually been brewed there. It was then sold in the internal tavern, very popular because of its high spirits, since the monastery possessed both brewing and selling rights. Moreover the brewery was exampted from any taxes, a bonus from the prince for the extraordinary quality of the monks' beer.

After the takeover of the monastery by the state and the walkout of the brotherhood, the brewery was denationalized and moved then in 1817 to the Neuhauser Straße (Road to Neuhaus) 275, in the meantime NR. 27 and situated in the pedestrian precinct of Munich. The brewing house has been accommodated in the second principal firm only until 1885, later the restaurant took its place and still stands there nowadays, although rearranged at the beginning of the 19th century by the well-known architect Emanuel of Seidl.

The next area housing the brewery should become the Kellerareal (cellar area) at the Landsberger Straße (Road to Landsberg), nowadays NR. 31 to 35 and also location of the "Braeustueberl", where the brewery is still situated today. This last and in the meantime well-tried move is to owe to the Wagner family, particularly to Mr. Anton and Mrs. Therese, who bought 1829 the company and thereupon led it as a private brewery, as all their successors have done up to now.

In the course of its history, Augustiner Braeu got over some wars, a privatisation and many extensions without ever forgetting its philosophy or risking the quality of its beer. This has made of Augustiner Braeu an important element of Munich's culture as well as of its restaurants and beer gardens - mainly the Augustiner-Keller (Augustiner Cellar) and the Hirschgarten (Deer Garden) - places of old-Munich's typical social life and cosiness.

I had this stuff when I was in pittsburgh. It's a good beer. I wish I could remember where I ordered it. My all time favorite has to be boddingtons, though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:43:56 PM EDT
Anchor Steam out of San Fran - great beer! you'll thank me for suggesting it
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:55:15 PM EDT

I was going to say that too.

The reason why is that the grocery stores (that normally don't stock it) are carrying it now. Get it while they have it!

It is a beer for men who know how to drink and not turn into an idiot. If you are a woman trying to master this advanced beer, you will probably sleep with several strangers before you learn how to drink it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 1:57:40 PM EDT by blacklisted]

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:

I was going to say that too.

The reason why is that the grocery stores (that normally don't stock it) are carrying it now. Get it while they have it!

It is a beer for men who know how to drink and not turn into an idiot. If you are a woman trying to master this advanced beer, you will probably sleep with several strangers before you learn how to drink it.

I saw this stuff at a grocery store near my house (CA, SF Bay Area).
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:59:36 PM EDT
Whatever gets you drunk the quickest? Wait you mean for sippin?

Well then I like Sam Adams.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:37:34 PM EDT

Sam Adams

Don't have to tell me, I'm a MA native

Their Summer Ale is still my favorite, and IMPOSSIBLE to find down here. Hope I can find it in Cali...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:38:08 PM EDT
Lebatt Blue? It's my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:50:27 PM EDT
Personal fave is Snake River Pale Ale, but its a beer local to Jackson, WY. You can probably find it at good stores all over the Western states though.

Also, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Just as good and easier to find.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:52:48 PM EDT
St. Pauli girl
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:55:05 PM EDT
Killians Irish red
Alaskan Amber

Im a real fan or red beers
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
Its all good
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:02:06 PM EDT
Chimay
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:04:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:42:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
Yuengling and Shiner Bock

You obviously have a great taste in beer.

Also I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Shiner Heifeweizen, and Czechvar (The REAL Budweiser)
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:43:59 PM EDT

That's some good stuff!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:47:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Chimay

+87

Ommegang is a decent cheap alternative

and..

Newcastle!