Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/5/2002 6:52:18 AM EST
does any one here suggest a good battery operated radio for emercency news etc, somthing more durable than a garden variety transister radio?
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:05:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/5/2002 7:05:43 AM EST by cgwahl]
Its funny, the best radio I ever got was the one my parents got free from Readers Digest. It has AM/FM...CB attachment, listen to airplanes and emergency vehicles (cops, fire) and even has TV which works nice when out camping in the tent trailer (yeah we don't rough it to the point where we're going in the woods) and the picture is horrible so you turn volume down and turn the radio on...get the news and stuff. Few other things as well it can do that I can't remember... If you want, when I get home I can try to dig it out of the trailer and tell you what brand/model it is...although I doubt that'll help you much since I think its 20 years old...[:)]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:11:19 AM EST
I'm not an expert, but I was reading in Jim Benson's old American Survival magazine awhile back, and AM/FM broadcasts in the USA is going to be heavily censored is something serious is happening. Witness during the invasion of Graneda a few years back, there was a total news blackout by the US Govt. They suggest a short wave radio reciever so that you can recieve programs from of-shore USA. In the same story, they said that during WWII the USA govt tried to control short-wave radio receivers, but found that to be totally 100% unworkable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:12:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:14:06 AM EST
i was planning to pick up the grundig yacht boy when i had a chance. (any comments on that would be welcome.) it's battery powered, compact, has am/fm, short wave, single side band. i dont know if there is an armored version or any type that would be more durable then a regular radio.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:16:54 AM EST
Yeah, I have a portable marine radio on my boat which is very durable, water proof and portable is there a version which does the same for vhf/uhf am fm??
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:19:13 AM EST
In the Jim Benson American Survival article, I distinctly remember reading about as one of the recommend AM/FM short-wave sets to get.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:39:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:37:20 AM EST
Problem is that it looks like one good rainburst and its out of commission.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:35:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/5/2002 10:37:01 AM EST by GodBlessTexas]
Get yourself a Yaesu VX-5R or VX-7R ham radio. They receive just about everything up to 1Ghz, excluding amps cellular. That gives you reception of HF shortwave, AM, FM, Marine, Public Safety, Government and weather bands and anything else that falls within the 50Mhz-1Ghz range, as well as HAM transmit ability in the 50Mhz, 144Mhz, and 430Mhz bands. The only differences between the VX-5R and VX-7R are the fact that the VX-7R is waterproof up to 3ft for 30 minutes, while the VX-5R is only water resistant but cannot handle being submerged. Also, the VX-7R can receive on two different bands simultaneously, where the VX-5R cannot. VX-5R: [IMG]http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/handheld/VX5R.jpg[/IMG] VX-7R: [IMG]http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/handheld/products/vx-7r/vx-7r_lg.jpg[/IMG] To give you some idea as to their size, each of those radios will fit in the palm of your hand. I'd take a scale picture of the VX-5R, but I was forced to sell it when I ran in to financial troubles, but until I sold it, it was a integral part of my SHTF supplies. I don't think there is a better handheld radio on the market than the Yaesu VX-7R for a SHTF situation. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:08:06 AM EST
[url=http://www.grundigradio.com/product/shortwave_radio/fr_200_emergency_radio/fr_200_emergency_radio.asp]Grundig FR 200 Emergency Radio[/url] AM/FM/shortwave AC power, AA battery, or handcrank [img]http://www.grundigradio.com/product/shortwave_radio/fr_200_emergency_radio/BFR200.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:45:14 PM EST
Sangean ATS-909 has searved me well. Very good battery life and not too expensive. AM/FM/LW/SW/MW. Got mine through Amazon.com.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:54:00 AM EST
i picked up one of the yachtboy 400s of ebay. it shoudl arrive in the next day or so. i'll let you know my impressions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:03:05 AM EST
I shucked out a couple hundred for a Grundig Yacht Boy. Its a shortwave receiver as well. Probably the best money I have ever spent that wasn't gun related. Lebrew
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:00:13 AM EST
I really want somthing durable, light weight (portable), and water resistant. Price is not the major factor and the a Yaesu VX-5R or VX-7R seems the best bet, but they seem to be super specialized and off the beaten trail. Two issues: 1.: are these transmiters/walkie talkees as well (kill two birds w/one stone) as receivers? 2.: are there other major brands... like motorolla that heve similar products but better service and more distributers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:02:58 AM EST
You all seem to be fairly knowledgeable about radios. Can any of you recommend some web sites that have info and comparisons of various radios? Is there an radio version of ARFCOM? I'd like to do some background researc of my own.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:25:23 AM EST
I found a lot of good info, links and reviews at: http://www.stupidscannertricks.com Cool radio: http://www.projectblack.net/popsci3.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:32:47 AM EST
one of the best sites i've come across is: [url]www.dxing.com[/url] there are tech articles on radio basics in the blue side bar that should help you get comfortable pretty quickly. there is a sw receiver survey there as well. at the bottom of the page is a link to the universal radio online catalog. browse through that and you should find a ton of info. [url]http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/index2.html[/url] hope that helps!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:37:03 PM EST
[IMG]http://www.threestoogesonline.com/images/PPJoeBoys.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:45:08 PM EST
btt
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:45:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By osprey21: I have this one.. [url]http://www.tldm.org/products/BayGen/default.htm[/url]
View Quote
I bought one of those for my dad for his birthday a couple of years back. It's pretty good and actually runs for 30 minutes on a single charge.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:58:46 PM EST
I got the Grundig. It includes a generator for recharging batteries and a flashlight. It give you AM, FM, and 2 common shortwave broadcast bands. Excellent buy for the money. The problem with 50 MHz and above reception is that it is typically very range limited. Long distance (DX) propagation on the 6 meter band (50 MHz) is usually via sporadic E layer skip, as I recall, and this is not dependable. The higher you go in frequency the worse it gets until you run into line-of-sight only frequencies. The way around this is repeaters, but who knows if they would be operating in a SHTF scenario. On the other hand, around-the-world reception is reliable at night in the 3 to 10 MHz spectrum and during the day in the 14 to 30 MHz spectrum. The technician class ham rigs are suitable for local communications only. However, I would want to get the big picture as well. Get as much general coverage as possible, and make sure you've got a way to generate power for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:01:57 PM EST
The most expensive thing I've ever bought, in relation to my financial situation at that time, was the Grundig YachtBoy. I bought it for my dad who's abit of a shortwave freak, to supplement his bigass solid state sw/mw rig which he aquired as a young adult. This baby is *sensitive*. It can't reach out as far as his big rig can, but almost, which was an amazing feat to us and we played around with it. I think it also does some sort of filtering with DSPs, because the sound is really clear, clearer than I'd logicly expect it to be. Regular FM is of course, excellent, when the YB is hooked up to my home audio rig. It searches frequencies faster than I've ever seen, and it's programmable to quite a degree. It's small enough that my dad now carries it in his briefcase *whereever* he goes. He in fact barely uses his old rig now. We travel alot together, I'm happy to say, so we take it on business trips, vacations with our families, to foreign countries and to boonies everywhere. It works. It doesn't hog batteries, though I can't remember how long it will last... it has outlasted any continuous use we've needed for it. But is it rugged? No. It's not even as rugged as my first generation Palm. The YB is not something I'd drop from even 6". In my mind, the ideal degree of durability is my cheapy Nokia cellphone which gets thrown around the room a good lot (those with young children will understand). Would this survive a SHTF scenario? Yes, if we were holed up in a fixed location with spare batteries or a power supply or if I have a solar charger. Is that good enough to meet my SHTF-spec? No.
Top Top