Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/20/2018 4:08:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2018 4:09:12 PM EDT by Reaperatm]
So long story short I’ve been a cop for St. Louis County Police for nearly 3 years, my wife and I have decided to move to SW Florida to be closer to my family in Naples.

A couple questions for my fellow FL guys (and girls), what departments should I be looking at and where should I stay away from?

I’ve looked at Naples Police, Collier County so far, and FT Meyers. I looked at Tampa (which looks very close to st Louis County in terms of pay and retirement) but we’ve decided that’s too far north.

Any info would be helpful, thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:19:33 PM EDT
not Broward county.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:32:40 PM EDT
I don't think they will hire you. They have an import agreement with NY and NJ to supply all their personnel needs.

Seems like West Palm would be a nice place to work, though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:41:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2018 11:00:50 PM EDT by ColtRifle]
Buddy of mine started with Collier County earlier this year. He seems to like it so far.

I think he applied at most of your listed PDs and Marco Island. It's hard to get hired down there from what I understand.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:55:57 PM EDT
North port is hiring, just went through a class with some of their guys
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:13:29 PM EDT
The SOs and the University's will be on the same state retirement system. Its not the great system it used to be but it does offer some added flexibility if your first department choice was a bad one some cites are part of the state system as well.

I filled in on a oral boards recently and the quality of recent LE applicants in North FL was astoundingly bad. I thought they were playing a joke on me and I was in the middle of a Dave Chappel Pop Copy skit. Sun glasses around necks, polo shirts, untucked shirts, cowboy boots not even dress boots. The answers and demeanor were just as bad as some of the appearances.

It's so bad one local agency is offering a $5000 signing bonus for certified applicants. Lots of details to qualify but it's a bad job market for police agencies trying to fill in north florida at least.

No one down that way seems to have a bad rep. Know folks that are or were happy in Pinellas, Sarosota, Collier, Polk, Naples.
Top Top