Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 3:50:32 PM EDT
OK folks,

I've got an event upcoming and want to lose 10 to 20 pounds in a few weeks.    Throughout college and law school, I averaged 165 to 175lbs (not bad for my 5'11" frame), and worked out a lot.   Since graduation, I've been less active than I used to be and am now up to about 188lbs.  

I've been researching various diets, and pulled out my old nutrition notes from a class I took back in college.   I'm trying to come up with an approach that factors in one very significant fact:   I enjoy eating.  Its a social activity for me, and since I mostly quit smoking, deals with the lingering oral fixation most smokers have.  

Based on this information and my research, I've devised an approach the probably most closely approximates the "caveman" diet.

What I'm  doing here will be to eat only unprocessed foods, fruits, veggies, meats, etc.   But without anything that is processed.   If I can't "process" it myself, then I'm not eating it.   So, that means all sugars, corn syurps, softdrinks, etc., are out.   It also means that flour is out unless I buy whole grans and myself put forth the work to mill it into flour.   Pasta:  out.    Cereals:   Out.   Anything that comes in a "wrapper":  out.

The only "cheating" I'm going to do is to take a multi-vite, a heavy Vit. C vit, and some calcium supplements.

I'm not going to eat on a "schedule" but rather, only when I'm hungry.  I'll be "grazing" a little more.  

No new exercise, as that's part of the problem.   My schedule is so crazy I simply cannot get away this month.  

Today, I've had the following:    Breakfast:   2 eggs, scrambled.   Glass of water.   Lunch:  None.   Afternoon snack:   A half-pound of carrots and two gala apples.   Dinner:   A grilled chicken breast.  

Will it work?  Who knows...  watch this space for updates.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I see you finally "get it"??

Good for you, pass it on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
muslix type whole grain cereal is ok right?

Eat millet, its good for you. you can grind it in a coffee grinder.

Makes a malto meal like mush.  a lil natural honey and self churned butter from your dairy cow since you won't be drinking PROCESSED milk and yum yum.

I don't eat enuff good food. I want too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I was on a paleolithic diet for about a year. It works, you'll come to love either leafy greens or Metamucil though .  I lost 20 or so lbs on it and then just switched to a low fat diet with plenty of exercise.

Edit: watch the apples and other fruit.  If you're going with the paleo theory, you have to take into account that nearly all fruits are genetically engineered (if you want to call it that) for sweetness nowadays - this meaning high sugar content.

Edit again: recipes here
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been on Atkins for 2.5 weeks now and the only thing on your list that I haven't had are the carrots and apples...I feel about 400 times better and have lost 12 pounds.  About day 3 I thought I was dying a slow and painful death, but I recovered on day 4 and have no regrets.  Like yellow said, make sure you eat some fiber and be aware of the sweet fruits...tomatoes included.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Isn't that the so-called 'Paleo' Diet?

I'm certain that it will work.

Just do the Low Carb Diet. I've lost 67 pounds in the last 8 months with it.

Eric The(Paleo)Hun

PICS??????
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I did the Basic diet.  Lost 20 lbs in two months, now I feel much better than I used to.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Who processed the chicken breast?  Did ya just go out to the coup and wring it's neck?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Eric, you're an inspiration!

For those doing the low-carb thing, may I recommend the Carb-Control bars and shakes by EAS. Things are awesome, and certainly take the edge off the sweet-tooth thing, with 2-3g of carbs each. Their brownies are simply KILLER!.

BTW, avoid their Carb-Control fruit drinks!

Good luck! Can't wait to start again myself!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's some more info on the paleo diet.

I've got a copy of this book:

It is interesting, and has a large bibliography.

www.neanderthin.com/site/
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For those doing the low-carb thing, may I recommend the Carb-Control bars and shakes by EAS. Things are awesome, and certainly take the edge off the sweet-tooth thing, with 2-3g of carbs each. Their brownies are simply KILLER!.

BTW, avoid their Carb-Control fruit drinks!

Good luck! Can't wait to start again myself!

Thanks for the info about the the EAS stuff...I have looked at them and was a bit leery about trying them.  They are cheaper than the Atkins brand, so I think I'll give em a shot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to help!

I strongly recommend all the bars except Blueberry and Cookies and Cream, but that's just me.

The Chocolate Brownie flavor is awesome, as are the Apple Cinnamon ones. Lemon Cheescke are an aquired taste, but great after one or two.

The BEST are the Double Chocolate Crisp Nutrition Bars. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

The shakes are all good, but again, the juice drinks SUCK, especially Citrus Splash.

All of the good ones take a LITTLE getting used to. Maybe one or two, but that was just me.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]
A way to have some sweetener is using honey...not the wimpy cooked and killed honey...get the whole straight from the bee's mouth honey.

They make a sort of bread that is nice to have with your egg...called Ezekiel...it is made from sprouted grains.

I lost 40+lbs in less than 3 months by just eating correctly.

MT
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK folks,  

Based on this information and my research, I've devised an approach the probably most closely approximates the "caveman" diet.

How do you know what kind of diet I have?

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Did the Neanderthin diet for a few weeks after seeing it on TV (and I don't watch TV, wife told me to check out what was on), and thinking that made more sence then anything I had every heard about diet.  Was quite the experience, really did enjoy it.  After the first couple of days I went hog wild and ate four meals a day, and up to a pound and a half of venison a sitting.  Started dropping pounds like crazy, then my appetite fell back to more like normal.  No carrots on that diet, all roots are a no no.  Hate carrots any how, hehe.  The main thing I have against Neanderthin is that you have coyote poop, yuck.  Liked Neanderthin a alot better then the low fat diets, always feel like I am starving, and am deprived and that I need to kill something while doing low fat.  Am now on the "Ekie diet" (lots of bacon, venison, butter, cheese, nuts, etc), and am quite happy with it, am six foot and have dropped from a max of 210 to a current 175, and eat all I care to, and have no plans to ever changing what I now eat.

I go back to the Neanderthin diet when the wife ain't around, it freeks her out ya know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Going to have to side with ColonelKlink as far as a proper caveman diet goes, and take it a bit further.  Your caveman body ain't going to make it on a few genetically altered roots/fruit (sugar bombs) and a couple of bird eggs and part of some freek modern domestic bird.   Like he said, not enough calories, and certainly no were near enough fat and protein.  Going to need some red meat to do the caveman body good, go kill something and eat that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Did the Neanderthin diet for a few weeks after seeing it on TV (and I don't watch TV, wife told me to check out what was on), and thinking that made more sence then anything I had every heard about diet.  Was quite the experience, really did enjoy it.  After the first couple of days I went hog wild and ate four meals a day, and up to a pound and a half of venison a sitting.  Started dropping pounds like crazy, then my appetite fell back to more like normal.  No carrots on that diet, all roots are a no no.  Hate carrots any how, hehe.

I can't find my copy of the book right now, but I thought he mentions roots as allowed foods as long as they don't require cooking to eat. you can still cook them, it just has to be possible to eat them raw, so carrots ok, potatos not.

The main thing I have against Neanderthin is that you have coyote poop, yuck.

I tried it for a couple of months, and my shits were so lofty and firm that I didn't even have to wipe. I'd run some paper across as a check after taking a shit and it was always clean.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My Neanderthing book is packed, am in the middle of moving.  But, the way I remember it is, if something can not be consumed raw, that it is not considered food (like you said).  He goes on to strike other foods off the list, carrots being one of them.  Something about root type foods.  Gee, and I thought my poop post was a bit graphic, LOL.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh-heh-heh.  I hope you are talking about both the weight-loss and the very nice chick!

Well, I'm certainly not talking about your greying hair, buddy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top