Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 4:49:23 PM EDT
Right now i'm playing either Titleist HP Tour SF or Nike Mojo.  I seem to get a little more distance out of the Mojo's, but can spin the Titleist better around the green.  I prefer the Titleist for putting b/c I draw lines through the name on the side to align putts and the Mojo logo is too big.

Poll coming!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i play with whetever i get in the big bag from sports authority.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Titleist, Maxfli, Nike - From left to right on what I use most.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I proclaim this thread to be teh gay!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought the Nike Tour Accuracy. They seem to be good balls.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Titleist ProV1 or if I can find them the Titleist HP2 Tour.
I also like the new Callaway ball but you couldn't give me anything nike.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I only play Titilest ProV1x.  I like the feel and the distance and I use the X because I hit the ball high and I put a lot of spin on the ball.  I am able to control my trajectory and spin better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly ProV1x because a friend gives me a dozen every year. But I like the Calloway Black (HX Tour?) better. That legendary 'stripe on the ProV1 has done me wrong more than once.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]

I play the Mojo also. A decent distance ball that doesnt spin too much for driving.
Read that as yeah, I fade it a tad.
I also play whatever else I find while looking for those faded Mojos.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mostly ProV1x because a friend gives me a dozen every year. But I like the Calloway Black (HX Tour?) better. That legendary 'stripe on the ProV1 has done me wrong more than once.

I used to use the line to line my putt up but I stopped doing it.  I switched putters and can see the line without using the ball.  As far as hitting full shots I don't pay any attention to the line/logo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to use the line to line my putt up but I stopped doing it.  I switched putters and can see the line without using the ball.  As far as hitting full shots I don't pay any attention to the line/logo.

Weird, I just started using the line on my putts about a month ago and have knocked around 4-5 putts off my round each time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Pro V1x
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I can hit a Bridgestone Precept farther than anything else. That's all I use now. When I rarely get to play.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Tiger Woods pulls into a gas station and says fill 'er up.
Attendant says this sure is a nice car.
Tiger says watch this and he pushes a button and the trunk opens
Attendat says "Wow, this car sure has everything!"
Tiger says watch this and he touches the seat and the seats reclines
Attendant says "Wow, this car sure has everything!"
Tiger says watch this and he pushes a button and the hood opens
Attendant says "Wow, this car sure has everything!"
Finally it is time to pay, Tiger takes his hand out of his pocket to get the money and lying among the change are some golf tees.  
Attendant points at the golf tees and says "What are those?"
Tiger says " Those are to put your balls on while you are driving."
Attendant says "Wow, this car sure does have everything!"
One of my Dad's favorites........I was a golf orphan.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weird, I just started using the line on my putts about a month ago and have knocked around 4-5 putts off my round each time.

What ever works!  It was taking me too long to get that ball lined up.  Works a lot better for me to use what the putter gives me.  Also good job with the improvement on the putting.  You don't have to knock the ball a long ways to score well.  If I can ever get to the point were I can start draining the 8-12ft birdie putts, I will probably quit my job and play golf for a living, however I suffer from the yips reallly bad so that isn't going to happen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Maxfli Noodles. Al Dente.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If I can ever get to the point were I can start draining the 8-12ft birdie putts, I will probably quit my job and play golf for a living, however I suffer from the yips reallly bad so that isn't going to happen.

I'm like you but with my chipping.

I hit the ball long off the tee, my approach
shots are pretty good, and I can putt. But
give me a 15-75yd shot into a green and
I'll take three shots from there 9 times
out of ten.

Case in point: In league last week, I was
20yds off of a par 5 in two...chipped it off
the back of the green and ended up eating
a 6.

Considering that I am currently a 11.6
index, I'm sure that I can shave 6 strokes
off that if I could get up-and-down more
than once a round.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I play whatever ball I find while looking for the one I just hit into the woods.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I play the Mojo. I used to play whatever I found, but switching to a single ball helped my game. Makes it a lot easier to judge distance of flight and ball reaction when it lands.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I can ever get to the point were I can start draining the 8-12ft birdie putts, I will probably quit my job and play golf for a living, however I suffer from the yips reallly bad so that isn't going to happen.

out of ten.

a 6.

than once a round.

You have the same problem that 99% of all golfers have-including the pro's.   Instead of trying to get within 20 of the green on a par five, hit your second shot within a range that is comfortable for you.  Most pro's lay it up between 100-115 yards so they can hit a full SW in.  I do this now and it has cut at least a stroke off my game.  This works on the par 4's as well.  If the hole is 335 yards long and you drive it inside the 100yrd range, and have trouble hitting the green, take a 3wd or 3 iron and leave it 125 yards so you can hit a full wedge or 9 iron.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used the line through the ball method and averaged < 24 ppr for like 5 years.

Worked for me.

(can't golf anymore)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ever works!  It was taking me too long to get that ball lined up.  Works a lot better for me to use what the putter gives me.  Also good job with the improvement on the putting.  You don't have to knock the ball a long ways to score well.  If I can ever get to the point were I can start draining the 8-12ft birdie putts, I will probably quit my job and play golf for a living, however I suffer from the yips reallly bad so that isn't going to happen.

I started keeping track of the # of putts I took during a round about 3 months ago, and couldn't believe how many "wasted" shots I had on the green, so I really started working on my putting.  Like you it seems like it takes forever for me to line up putts, hit them, etc... but i don't care as long as I am 1 and 2 putting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

out of ten.

a 6.

than once a round.

Isn't that the most frustrating thing?  You travel 500+ yards in 2 shots, then take 4 going the last 20 yards.
To work on this I try to get out to this big field on campus and just hit my pitching wedge around for about an hour or so at 20, 30, and 40 yards.  Like Hokie said, I also lay up around 50 yards away from the green when I can, so I can hit a little 3/4 pitching wedge shot that I love.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Hmm, not suprising Titleist is #1, but i'm suprised noone is primarily playing any of calloway's new balls.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#24]
The 'stripe' on ProV1 have given me a mystery extra 15 yards on iron shots occasionally. I think it plays on my mind more than my clubface. I definitely put the stripe at the equater when I'm on the tee box.

For you guys with short game problems, I was taught a chipping method back in 1994 that works VERY well. I can email it if you are interested. Its great for around the green, but as the earlier post intimated, the REAL problem areas are usually the 'pitch shots' between 10 and 85 yards out. Nothing rattles my cage on the course more than having a 12 yard pitch shot left if I shortside the flag. Absolutely nerve racking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Isn't that the most frustrating thing?  You travel 500+ yards in 2 shots, then take 4 going the last 20 yards.
To work on this I try to get out to this big field on campus and just hit my pitching wedge around for about an hour or so at 20, 30, and 40 yards.  Like Hokie said, I also lay up around 50 yards away from the green when I can, so I can hit a little 3/4 pitching wedge shot that I love.

Yeah, I've been working on it all year with various
degrees of success. No consistency yet. I try to
lay up to a happy distance, but when you are 20yrds
away, you should be able to get the ball a helluva
lot closer than if you were 100 (partial PW distance).

I picked up The Short Game Bible by Dave Pelz.
I'm going to work on those exercises all winter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Pro V1X.  Just switched over from a regular Pro V1 and kept spinning it too much.  It would check up on chips and I could not get the ball to roll no matter what I did. So I played the X and also hit it lower. Wound up shooting the best game of my life three weeks ago............67.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Wound up shooting the best game of my life three weeks ago............67.

Very nice!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#28]
thanks.  Yep that's my two passions.............guns and golf
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

same here
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

In my dreams! I've been stuck at 8 handicap for 3 years. I guess it would help if I actually played regularly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

same here

Me too.  Every Feb. I have to go new gun, new irons or new driver.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Whatever I pull out of my bag.

Haven't bought a ball in something like 3 years.  I think I've still got about 3 dozen Strata's in storage.  I bought 13 dozen at one time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#33]
ask your mom, she plays with my balls more than I do.

Couldn't resist a mom joke. I'll probably get banned for this one...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What did you shoot on the back 9?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I play whatever ball I find while looking for the one I just hit into the woods.

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#36]
My wife and I are members at a privite club in Dallas, but I've never played a game of golf in my life.
How bad is that!  One of these days I'll take a lesson or two, but until then I'll continue to enjoy the
view from the 19th hole.

X
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my dreams! I've been stuck at 8 handicap for 3 years. I guess it would help if I actually played regularly.

I shot a 67 a few years ago, though the course was unbelievably easy.  It helps to shoot low when all 4 par 5's are straight and only 490 yards.  I was hitting 7 and 8 irons in to them.  I am usually good for 73-77 with some rounds going as low as 70 my worst round of the year was 81.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I shot a 67 a few years ago, though the course was unbelievably easy.  It helps to shoot low when all 4 par 5's are straight and only 490 yards.  I was hitting 7 and 8 irons in to them.  I am usually good for 73-77 with some rounds going as low as 70 my worst round of the year was 81.

Very good! My low round this year is a 79.  My last 3 rounds have been 83, 85, 82.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

same here

I've played golf since I was about 9 or so, then played competitively in High School.  Then I became a golf professional and got through about half-way of the PGA training program and got burnt out.  Took about two years off where I didn't even watch golf on tv.  Now the bug has bitten me again and I'm starting to play and practice more.  It's still only a game to me though, before it had become my life, and I didn't enjoy that.  I got interested in guns when I was 21, went out and bought my first pistol and the rest is history.  Now I have a bunch.  I shoot about twice a month and am even starting to learn how to customize my 1911's by myself which is quite rewarding.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#40]
hello;

social handicap is 8, when $ involved, 4 or less.  today's score was a 74 (par is 72), playing from middle tees, (6550yds.)  the nxt gives good distance, will not roll very much when you hit the green.  the sleeper is top flite's womens ball.  same distance off the tee, will roll @3-5 feet when you hit a green.  $14.95 at wally world.  i'm just a middle aged retired fat guy, how many strokes will 'ya give me?

rp
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]

I'm on staff with Callaway.  I prefer the HX Tour...the new HX 56 spins a little too much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Noodle Long + Soft

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Pro V1. Tried some of the new Srixon and they are long.  Nike can take American educated and America hating brit (small b) Paul Casey and go to hell.  They will never get a dime of my money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

same here

I've played golf since I was about 9 or so, then played competitively in High School.  Then I became a golf professional and got through about half-way of the PGA training program and got burnt out.  Took about two years off where I didn't even watch golf on tv.  Now the bug has bitten me again and I'm starting to play and practice more.  It's still only a game to me though, before it had become my life, and I didn't enjoy that.  I got interested in guns when I was 21, went out and bought my first pistol and the rest is history.  Now I have a bunch.  I shoot about twice a month and am even starting to learn how to customize my 1911's by myself which is quite rewarding.  

I have sort of the same story.  Started when I was 5 and played competitivly in HS, my coach was a dick and it caused me to loose intrest and I would only pick up the bag once a month.  Now days I play 7X a month and we all play for a friendly wager, that helps me fuel my competive fire.  If I applied myself I think I could be one of the better amature golfers in the state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top