Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 11:59:57 AM EDT
I have the biggest motor available for my cart (upgraded it from the stock motor last year), and it has enough power for most situations, but sometimes I need a little extra umph.

I can't find a supercharger small enough for my golf cart motor.  I am not interested in running nitrous (even though there are kits for that for golf carts).

Would putting an electric blower motor on the air box give me enough pressure to make a difference?  I would only use it when I need a bump in power, so I am not worried about draining the battery.

about the only other thing I thought of was removing the head and having a few thousandths machined off, but I don't want to void the warranty since these little motors are pretty expensive.

I can't run an open exhaust because of noise restrictions where I use it.

anything I am not thinking of?

thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would check out buggies gone wild forum.. lots of ideas over there..

I personally have an ezgo with an aftermarket B&S 23hp in it..

just my .02
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
wrecked toys . com

Find yourself a hayabusa motor...

i think 150+ hp will do just fine without any forced induction.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Buddy of mine put a snowmobile motor into a golf cart.  Used it to pull stumps!

You might be able to supercharge a small motor on the cheap by using one of those air pumps that pumped air into the exhaust manifolds of late 70's-early 80's GM vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a buddy back home who put a snail on a go-kart and that thing was scary fast....I swear he's gonna put on one his lawnmower one day when he gets bored....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
could get a small turbo on ebay
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Is the suspension stiff enough to support the massive balls it takes to drive that thing? That looks like death on wheels!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#8]
So, Back to my original question:

Will an electric blower provide enough volume to add power to a small engine??
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

could get a small turbo on ebay

That is a good suggestion. I believe the turbo smart cars have tiny turbos on them. That would probably work well for a golf cart. proper fueling would be an issue I would think though. Of course if the OP was already talking supercharger, perhaps he has something in mind?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

AFIAK no...and it may take power away

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No.

While there have been some successful electric superchargers (on city buses), think of how much power it takes to compress air in the home shop compressor. A small battery could never do that amount of work. The work load is a percentage of overall output.

For example, to achieve 100HP out of a 50HP engine, the blower will draw about 20- 30HP, depending on supercharger efficiency.

Put another way, if you make 10HP now and want 15, you would need a 5 to 6HP electric motor and an efficient supercharger and drive system. That would require a battery system capable of 375-425 Amps continuous for say 60 seconds. (3-4 large car batteries would do it). That electric motor would be quite expensive, as would the tiny blower and drive system.

A micro turbo, on the other hand, could work quite well.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the biggest motor available for my cart

how many CC (or CI) is it?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Honestly,
Your best bet IS to go nitrous in such a small motor. If you restrict the shot size you will be safe. Basically you will find it hard to find a blower or turbo small enough for you application and if you do it will cost an obscene amount of money to make it work.

With a very small nitrous bottle with say a tiny jet like 10-20hp and a solenoid you could be "boosted" in no time. Usually you should try an keep the shot below 40-50% of the original hp rating of the motor you are working with.

I know a little bit about turbos. I did my final year engineering thesis on turboing diesels and I built a 400hp-at-the-wheels SVT Contour, so I know what it takes to make them work reliably.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the biggest motor available for my cart

how many CC (or CI) is it?

ar-jedi

400 CC.  13.5hp  it is seriously undertuned since obviously 400CC's are capable of making way more then 13.5 hp.

I was also thinking of maybe taking off the head and having it machined a thousandth or 2 to get the compression up.

I stayed with the stock motor upgrade (I know there are V twin kits available) since I use it daily at work and I need to keep the pedal start intact.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Honestly,
Your best bet IS to go nitrous in such a small motor. If you restrict the shot size you will be safe. Basically you will find it hard to find a blower or turbo small enough for you application and if you do it will cost an obscene amount of money to make it work.

With a very small nitrous bottle with say a tiny jet like 10-20hp and a solenoid you could be "boosted" in no time. Usually you should try an keep the shot below 40-50% of the original hp rating of the motor you are working with.

I know a little bit about turbos. I did my final year engineering thesis on turboing diesels and I built a 400hp-at-the-wheels SVT Contour, so I know what it takes to make them work reliably.

Yes, nitrous would be the cheapest and easiest, but i wopuld really prefer some sort of supercharger.  Don't want a turbo as i don't want to mess with the exhaust and turbo lag is no good for off road.  i need the instant boost of something belt driven.

I just haven't found a small enough supercharger which leads me to nitrous.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#16]
With 400cc and only 13HP, there is massive room for improvement. However, most, if not all of that increase will be in the area of additional RPM at similar torque levels.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#17]
new clutch springs and drive belt for torque.

and I'm sure you've already opened up the governor.

I haven't found much in the way of golf cart engine upgrades for my wife's cart.  Less restrictive air filter, clutch springs and drive belt (regear), basically removed the governor–– gave me more than enough lulz when she put the pedal to the floor and got wide-eyed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top