Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2010 8:59:39 AM EDT
If you think gold is in a bubble, you might be wrong.

The bubble is in treasury bonds.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:02:56 AM EDT
What did you buy it at? How much have you sold?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:03:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sd_norske:

What did you pay for ammo in 2005 - and have you sold it yet?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:16:20 AM EDT
I started buying gold at $1000.00 last year and silver at $15.43. That puts gold up about 27% and silver at about 31% in the last 14 months.
China silver buying is up 4 fold in the previous year and this is what is said to be the largest effect on silver prices. From what I read silver should top $22.00 by the end of 2010 and as high as $27.00 by 2012.
I'll be a buyer in ETF's or PM stocks on any future dip.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:27:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 9:27:49 AM EDT by RRA_223]
Gold is up $27 right now... $31 intra-day peak. that's big - even at current prices. wonder what's going on?

Marketwatch:
Day low $1,246
Day high $1,277

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:28:46 AM EDT
This could be worse than Y2K.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:31:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1903pa:
China silver buying is up 4 fold in the previous year

Why are they acquiring silver?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:33:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 30calslut:

That is correct, watch the yield curve, it will sneak up and hand you your ass on a plate.
No real safe havens right now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:53:34 AM EDT
In before someone says you can't eat it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:56:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

Ammo and gold aren't even close to the same thing.

These threads are always the same. "Hey guys. I bought a bunch of gold at $1000 and now it's at $1250. Look how smart I am!" OK, but how much money have you actually made? None. Now take the guy that bought at $300 and sold at $1000. Could he have done better? Sure, but he's not going to do any worse. Gold, just like everything else, isn't a good investment unless you actually make money.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:58:54 AM EDT

These threads are always the same. "Hey guys. I bought a bunch of gold at $1000 and now it's at $1250. Look how smart I am!" OK, but how much money have you actually made? None. Now take the guy that bought at $300 and sold at $1000. Could he have done better? Sure, but he's not going to do any worse. Gold, just like everything else, isn't a good investment unless you actually make money.

Gold is a store of value. A rental property or stock of a company or a small business with good cash flow is an investment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:04:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lokt:

Probably industrial uses.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:06:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 30calslut:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-14/yen-rises-to-15-year-high-on-speculation-kan-to-win-vote-stocks-fluctuate.html

Stocks, Treasuries, Gold Gain on Fed Bond-Purchase Speculation
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:37:04 AM EDT

?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:59:00 AM EDT
I three-bagged on Palladium today.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:21:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By whoanelly:

Gold is a store of value. A rental property or stock of a company or a small business with good cash flow is an investment.

Call it what ever you want but it won't change the fact that the spot price is irrelevant until you sell it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 2:24:18 PM EDT by Veracity]

Yes.

Unfortunately, every gold thread goes off track because few people seem to understand that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:24:06 PM EDT

Call it what ever you want but it won't change the fact that the spot price is irrelevant until you sell it.

This. Gold isn't "worth" $1250 an oz if you can't go out and get someone to buy it from you for that
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:25:26 PM EDT

Why not? Same as why do people want gold?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:25:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LazarusLong:

This. Gold isn't "worth" $1250 an oz if you can't go out and get someone to buy it from you for that

The same can be said of the USDs in your bank or your wallet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:35:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Veracity:

I can go out now and buy anything with those USDs.. Can't say the same for gold. And before you say something about how if some catastrophe happens and the USD is devalued then gold will be superior. Doubt it, most people have no idea what gold is worth and wouldn't take it. About the only thing gold is worth a damn for is preserving wealth when leaving a country or in extremely long term situations.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:31:54 PM EDT

Manufacturing electronics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:37:37 PM EDT

Gold and silver are money, and there are always neigh sayers like you around to tell us gold bugs we don't know what we're doing. Save your dollars if you want, but the interest you receive from a bank doesn't even come close to the rate of inflation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 3:53:26 PM EDT by Oliver]
This is just one of many
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:52:55 PM EDT
With Obama all things are possible
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:07:09 PM EDT

Gold and silver are money, and there are always neigh sayers like you around to tell us gold bugs we don't know what we're doing. Save your dollars if you want, but the interest you receive from a bank doesn't even come close to the rate of inflation.

You're missing the point. The price doesn't matter if you aren't selling. How much money have you made from gold in the last 5 years?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:10:25 PM EDT
Gold is up $27 right now... $31 intra-day peak. that's big - even at current prices. wonder what's going on?

Marketwatch:
Day low $1,246
Day high $1,277

What's going on?

The dollar is taking a sh*t. Remember the basic rule of inflation? Excess money chasing too few goods means the price of goods go up.

So, where's that excess money coming from? Every dollar spent by the Federal gubmint and every stimulus bill devalues the existing dollars including those in your retirement, your investments, your savings and future earnings. Thank you Obama & Congress.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:11:41 PM EDT
I thought I timed it right buying at $400 and selling at $800.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:21:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

How fucking old is that?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:24:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By capnrob97:
I thought I timed it right buying at $400 and selling at $800.

No frowny face for doubling your money.
None at all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:26:10 PM EDT
I'm wondering if the gold bubble is gonna burst before our economy...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:27:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By warhorse:

How fucking old is that?

2010 - Y2K = 10 years

What do I win?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:32:20 PM EDT

Yes.

Unfortunately, every gold thread goes off track because few people seem to understand that.

I agree, but right now (and later??) those investments have negative rates of return. Suddenly, a store of value seems pretty nice. And no, bonds right now are not a store of value, they are a comprising loss of value. Gold at least doesn't seem too fucked up....... Besides gold has much to go before it hits its $2000+ levels it reached in 1980 when you account for inflation.

Though, if you want to put money into a usable commodity with near certainty of increasing in value, ammunition would be a nice choice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:33:53 PM EDT
Au actually hit $1275.70 today.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:45:10 PM EDT

For silver bullets, duh!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:50:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rich_V:
Originally Posted By warhorse:

How fucking old is that?

2010 - Y2K = 10 years

What do I win?

...A gold coin...?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:55:22 PM EDT
I'm betting gold will be sinking dramatically in the next 1-2 years. It's driven up now, but it can't stay up forever. That's my opinion, at least.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:57:33 PM EDT

Most likely the direct results of QE2 in action (or 3, or 4, depending on your definition of Quantitative Easing). Maybe two of my profs were right and inflation is finally going to kick in... (if so, should of loaded up debt in grad school as suggested)

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:59:30 PM EDT
Sold some gold and silver on Monday. I did a FTF sale with APMEX. Very nice folks and painless transaction.

Oh by the way, I made a very nice return on investment. I love the metals thing. Makes me feel more in control than dealing with
the stock market, especially right now. It can be done if you are patient.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:00:41 PM EDT
The only time gold becomes the ubercurrency is if you're countries economy takes a shit and you need to smuggle wealth out of the country.

If the US economy ever took a serious enough shit to warrant this, the rest of the world wouldn't be doing much better...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:03:44 PM EDT

I can go out now and buy anything with those USDs.. Can't say the same for gold. And before you say something about how if some catastrophe happens and the USD is devalued then gold will be superior. Doubt it, most people have no idea what gold is worth and wouldn't take it. About the only thing gold is worth a damn for is preserving wealth when leaving a country or in extremely long term situations.

Ok, you win.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:03:49 PM EDT
Circuit boards were one thing, but a hell of a lot of silver is required to produce the new LED flat screen TV's.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:18:11 PM EDT

As is the price of everything, really, unless you're trading on margin. No one here is trying to sell gold to arfcom members though, so everyone should just do what seems right to them, and we'll see how this debate gets resolved in the next few years.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:21:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 5:22:17 PM EDT by patriot73]
Two reasons why I can't wait for the gold bubble to pop.

1. Because it will be an indicator that the dollar is improving, which will mean the global economy is running to the dollar again for shelter, which means the US economy is improving

2. Because then I will get to point and laugh at people that held their gold despite gold being a historical loser.

High gold prices is the kind of thing that coined the term "cut off your nose to spite your face"
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 5:26:14 PM EDT by RRA_223]

Ok, you win.

How much is that ammo bought in 2005 worth - if you shoot it or never sell it?

These fucking arguments go round n' round all day.

The mother fucking cliff notes are: "gold" in recognizable form is more readily converted as a reservoir of wealth than any other object on the face of the Earth. For thousands of years. Cars, ammo, food, real estate, paper money - all of it fluctuates, depreciates or is easily consumed; however Gold is not. Yes, it goes up and down - but so does all of that damn paper we all have so much trust and faith in.... lol. Seriously.

Thus, Gold (and silver) have stood the test of time - and tend to stick around even beyond the industrial uses we find for them. Being completely recoverable helps too. Doesn't mean in ten years it will be time to convert back to the Dollar (or the yen...), but right now, and over the past 5 years, gold has been clearly a better investment.

There is no point in bragging or arguing, other than to state the obvious. Now "long term" is anyone's guess... but right now? Gold is pretty damn hard to beat. Personally, I am not into Gold as I am paying off debt - but if I had a lifetime of wealth to protect, it would be a different story. Maybe this is the TOP - and Patriot and Sherrick will have a field day. Good for all of us.

But most "Gold bugs" can wait for that 10% dip, sell into the "recovery" and still come out way ahead of those hanging onto cash.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:44:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 7:54:28 PM EDT by 1903pa]

You're missing the point. The price doesn't matter if you aren't selling. How much money have you made from gold in the last 5 years?

You'd think I was bragging if I told you, and I probably would be, but I'm too superstichious to tell how much money I've made. selling PM's.
Your probably not a stock trader, so I understand your's and many other non stock traders doubt, but trading in PM's can be the fastest method to make a profit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:07:00 PM EDT

You'd think I was bragging if I told you, and I probably would be, but I'm too superstichious to tell how much money I've made. selling PM's.
Your probably not a stock trader, so I understand your's and many other non stock traders doubt, but trading in PM's can be the fastest method to make a profit.

I'm guessing you're not making fast money buying physical gold from Apmex. But there's lots of money to be made in the up and down swings in PM, if you can time it right.
Top Top