Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2001 5:14:16 AM EDT
I've been in the guard for going on 2 years, as an 11B (Light Infantry).  I always knew this was a possibility, but now that the time is really here I'm starting to get scared.  I don't have a problem going, because it's the right thing do, and it's my duty as an able bodied American.  Not to mention the fact that these bastards deserve to die a horrible and unspeakable death.

The thing I'm scared about is how my wife is going to take it.  I know shes going to have a very tough time while I'm gone, and thats what hurts me.  Not to mention what it would do to her if I didn't come home.  

I'm sure at this point it's a matter of when I get called up, not if we get called up.  I think she knows I'm probably going to go, but I don't know how to talk to her about it or what to say to her.  If you guys have any experience like this, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not a religious person, but god bless America.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I'm not a religious person, but god bless America.
View Quote

They say there are no atheists in fox holes. [}:D] Just kidding - alittle levity for ya.

Remember man - it is OK, it is human to be scared.

Also remember, true courage is not the absense of fear. It is the ability to get the job done in spite of your fear. And I have every confidence that you will.

If you want, I will pray for you specifically. If not, know that I will be praying for all our soldiers collectively.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude, I'd be worried about you if you weren't scared. What kind of person doesn't feel the natural emotion of fear when confronted with the possibility of having to put themselves in harms way? Bon chance mon frere.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
HKer,

Just remember Bro, it's okay to be scared.  But it's what you do while you're scared that counts.  

-SARguy
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If someone in your shoes were NOT scared, then there is probably something wrong with them.  

I'm not in your shoes and I really have no great words to say, but Remember your training and stay safe.

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I probably going to NY next week to help identify bodies... I'm a little anxious about that!  What if the acts of terror arent finished yet?  What if more buildings collapse around me?  This is voluntary right now, but what if my Army Reserve Unit sends me to Faghanistan?

You bet I'm scared too... you're just a little further along in your deployment than I.

I have no desire to perish either, here's what helps me... I believe my life is in God's hands and I pray his will be done.  I think that volunteering my time right now and if need be to serve overseas during this time of crisis will help others.  IF its his will to take me during this time, there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

Where do you stand with your salvation?  (not preaching, just giving you something to ponder)

As for my wife, I'm concerned about what will happen to her if I dont return too...  All you can do is make sure your SGLI is maxed out!  Take out more insurance if you can afford it.  Make sure she has all the right contact numbers of your unit.  Help her with the little things before you go, for example if she doesnt know how to mow the lawn, show her how to crank the mower, dont take these little things for granted.

It also helps to give financial stability.  I do all the bills, so I typed up a paper with ALL of our creditors, including the phone/elec/cable bills, etc... with account numbers,addresses and phone numbers should she have any questions or problems.  

I guess I've prepared my wife for as less inconvenience as possible.  Get her in touch with your unit's Family Support Group, I think every unit has one?

Just some things to think about, stay safe.
M.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you or your wife have relatives near-by?  Or at least some close friends for support?  Don't treat her like a child, but start building a support network so she will not feel totally abandoned if you have to leave and make it clear to her that you are concerned for her well-being.  Your unit may also have a family support group to help out when you are gone.  Please, please tell me that your SGLI is up to date.  If you don't have a will in place, now would be a good time to look into it.

In my case, we don't have family close by, but we have some close friends here, and our church is very supportive too.  Right now, neither of us are ignoring the hardships that we will have as a family if (or when) I go, but at the same time, we both agree on the importance of it.  Of course, we have done this a few times already, but it still isn't easy.

Strength and Honor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont know what I am feeling right now. I am also infantry, in the Marines.

I have a combination of feelings between "excitement before the big game," and I guess you can say it's fear, but a different kind. Sorta like when you fall on waterskis, youre like, "oh shit! here it comes..." (not sure if that made sense to anyone else)

I guess the only time I REALLY get scared is when I think about what I will be doing. Not because I'm worried of getting wounded or dying, but because I'm afraid of failure. I'm a squad leader, and sometimes I wonder if I am ready. I know that no one can be ready for war, but am I ready to take my squad out on patrol in COMBAT for REAL??? We're talking REAL enemies, REAL rounds, REAL killing.

Failure is my only fear.

Semper Fi
See you on my flanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top