Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 7:10:59 AM EDT
Just rented a beach house for October:

This is on North Swan Beach which is north of Corolla, NC. Only accessible by 4x4

Anyone been to Corolla? Is anything still open in October???
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:13:31 AM EDT
Remember to look out for..............

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:16:43 AM EDT
I thought you were going to ask about concealed carry options for a speedo.

I'd go with a S&W J frame.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:41:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

getreligion.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/jaws.jpg

Sgatr15

oh....I'm not actually going in the water.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:49:47 AM EDT
I doubt things will be completely closed up. October is "fishin'" time, the gulf stream moves back towards shore and the water is still (relatively) warm.

Every trinket and junk store may not be open, but the groceries,gas, and eats places will still be open. They may have reduced hours so take that into account.

If you don't have kids and hate crowds plus want a cheaper stay, late September early October is probably the best time to go to the beach.

Oh yeah, and from those of us stuck at work, have fun you bastard!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:55:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

getreligion.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/jaws.jpg

Sgatr15

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LesBaer45:
Every trinket and junk store may not be open, but the groceries,gas, and eats places will still be open. They may have reduced hours so take that into account.

and the restaurants will likely also have cheaper prices
at least in the myrtle beach area they do
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:58:27 AM EDT
NOVAGator,

If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost to rent that beach house?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:59:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LesBaer45:
I doubt things will be completely closed up. October is "fishin'" time, the gulf stream moves back towards shore and the water is still (relatively) warm.

If you don't have kids and hate crowds plus want a cheaper stay, late September early October is probably the best time to go to the beach.

Oh yeah, and from those of us stuck at work, have fun you bastard!

ding ding ding! winner!

I done just about every type of fishing all over the world, but no surf casting. Is it worth my time in Oct or has everything run already?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:03:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

Anyone been to Corolla? Is anything still open in October???

Not a lot. Shops and maybe a few restaurants.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:06:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
NOVAGator,

IM sent
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:00:52 AM EDT
Forgive my ignorance, but when is hurricane season over on the east coast? Is it over by Oct?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:05:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
Forgive my ignorance, but when is hurricane season over on the east coast? Is it over by Oct?

Nuh-uh. Still a good chance of a blower in October.

Corolla around that time of year should be pretty dead. Windy as hell though. That's a NICE house too, I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:16:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
NOVAGator,

IM sent

Could I have the same information? (plus number of people that the house can fit and how long you can rent it for) It would be highly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:46:16 AM EDT
Here's the company I rented from:

www.twiddy.com/

They have tons of houses. You can get houses that sleep 20+

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:47:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:

No, It extends thru October.

I got the insurace. Prorated refund in the event of evacuation.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:30:17 PM EDT

I done just about every type of fishing all over the world, but no surf casting. Is it worth my time in Oct or has everything run already?

I go in Sept/Oct. Stay at Rodanthe or Avon on Hatteras. Fishing CAN be great.
The Labrador Current comes down from the north, and the Gulf Stream up from the south. They meet at Cape Hatteras which is what formed Diamond Shoals. If the weather has been stable, no storms or Nor'Easters, then fish will be there. Around Corolla, Bluefish and Striped Bass would be most likely. IF the water is still warm enough-and clean-some of the other species may be there. But if the water has been roiled and "dirty", there will not be much of anything close to shore.
It is a great time of year to buy tackle if you think you would like to continue visiting. There are a bunch of shops in the Kitty Hawk/Nags Head/Whale Bone strip.
I highly recommend the Wright Brothers Memorial and museum.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:35:56 PM EDT
You will LOVE Corolla this time/that time of year! The weather is still warm enough to sit on the beach in a bathing suit AND the crowds are gone! The fishing gets better and the merchants are serving larger portions before they close for winter. I've been going to the OBX since I was in diapers and now take my kids. If you feel froggy....take a day/overnight trip to Ocracoke, south of Hatterass. (two hrs south) A tiny fishing village, you have to take a 30min ferry ride to get there. It's where Blackbeard the Pirate was ultimately killed. (We have a cottage rented there the last week of August!) Miles of open beach, requires 4x4 to access.
Top Top