Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 3:56:46 PM EDT
I've got tickets to see the president tomorrow in Troy, Ohio. While I was picking them up, they gave out a flyer about the rules and regulations. Don't bring your own signs, we'll provide them, where to park, be early, stuff like that.

Ohio has had ccw for about 3 months now. There was nothing about it on the "rules."

I asked the guy "I don't see anything on your flyer about concealed carry?"

His eyes got big and he leaned back a little.

I added, "I guess it's off limits but I thought I should ask?"

"Oh yeah!" was his reply.

Eh, whatever. I guess I could understand why, but...well, it's a little weird to be told I'm "trustworthy" except when the president is around...

Still, really looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I personally don't see the big deal about being CCW in a rally that the POTUS is at.

However, we are currently in the middle of WWIII and as such, Executive security has to be a top domestic priorty.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Your balls are obviously a hell of a lot bigger than mine, or you be ate up with the dumbut, and I don't mean nothin bad about that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I was packing (1911) when I met Reagan years ago.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Carry anyway.

Have someone behind you snap a picture of the guys doing the screening when you are in line to go through the metal detector, right as you empty your pockets onto the table.

I walked through the detector with my belt(buckle) on, and got the wand treatment. I thought I was going to be wrestled to the ground when the officer found my cigarrettes in my pants pocket.

Oh, yeah. Have the friend post pics here. You'll be tied up for a while.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've got tickets to see the president tomorrow in Troy, Ohio. While I was picking them up, they gave out a flyer about the rules and regulations. Don't bring your own signs, we'll provide them, where to park, be early, stuff like that.

Ohio has had ccw for about 3 months now. There was nothing about it on the "rules."

I asked the guy "I don't see anything on your flyer about concealed carry?"

His eyes got big and he leaned back a little.

I added, "I guess it's off limits but I thought I should ask?"

That'll get you on 'the list'. You can look forward to strip searches at airports, being tackled at political meetings just before a handshake, 4am raids on your home, etc...

Just kidding (probably). Enjoy the grip-n-grin
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If they let you say hi to the pres with a gun in your belt our country is gone.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I was a volunteer when he came to town. If it is raining expect to leave your umbrella outside too. We were instructed to keep an eye out for Kerry infiltrators. We had to search for signs and double t-shirts. It was kinda cool but some of the volunteers let te power go to thier heads.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
DO NOT CCW TO AN EVENT WITH THE PRESIDENT.  My buddy was telling my that an off duty police officer was arrested at one of the trips he was on (mostly because he was a dick about it).  The only guns in a presidential event are secret service and local LE that are WORKING.

If they're nice, you may be allowed to go back to your car and try again, but I wouldn't push your luck.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
um... can someone cite a specific law that would be broken?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Protection of SCOTUS regardless of who is in office is taking very seriously.  Don't believe me, just ask the Tampa Bay policeman, AA.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was packing when I shook Bob Dole's and Colin Powell's hand during the Dole campaign. Even said hi to the secret service guy because he recognized me. Freaked him out at first because he couldn't place where he knew me from.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

I am confused, Are you going to be metting the president Bush? And if so your going to do so with a gun on you. Sorry I wasnt clear.

If this is the fact I say Why the fuck to you
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was packing when I shook Bob Dole's and Colin Powell's hand during the Dole campaign. Even said hi to the secret service guy because he recognized me. Freaked him out at first because he couldn't place where he knew me from.

Bob

Bob, you are now my hero.

You be...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Do not do it.

I had a scare a couple years back when my uncle passed away.  Hillary came to his funeral along with Bill and their Secret Service detail.  I had my Glock under my suit because the funeral home wasn;t in the best neighborhood and I wasn't leaving a gun in it.  I tried to be very non-chalant as they stood in front of me offering their condolences - by the way they were pretty genuine that day, my uncle was a big time labor leader and they were genuine friends.  Probably the only reason I didn;t get noticed was my cousin is a Syracuse cop and half the people there were cops in uniform and detectives and off-duty cops... there were no kidding at least 100 firearms in that funeral parlor at that moment.  Still, I would not have wanted to be made...

I went to a small event at the Kennedy Center back around 1995 and Hillery gave a speech.  No metal detectors and almost no visible security (I only spotted two SS agents).   Made me wonder if anyone cared about her security.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
DO NOT CCW TO AN EVENT WITH THE PRESIDENT.  My buddy was telling my that an off duty police officer was arrested at one of the trips he was on (mostly because he was a dick about it).  The only guns in a presidential event are secret service and local LE that are WORKING.

If they're nice, you may be allowed to go back to your car and try again, but I wouldn't push your luck.  

Bingo!  I was in uniform.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll bet half of the pre-schoolers that Bush was talking to on 9/11 were packin heat...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm spending time with the family this weekend, but would love to go see the President fly out of Toledo durring the the air show! Picture perfect moment. I hear he is stopping by a high school in Lima, also.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo!  I was in uniform.

Yeah me too Carter, Reagon, Bush

Carter, Reagon uniform

Bush Plain Clothes
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, I havent met a POTUS since Nixon......

Besides, Reagan was the only one I really would have loved to meet....

Oh, and W
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:54:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Damn, I havent met a POTUS since Nixon......

Besides, Reagan was the only one I really would have loved to meet....

Oh, and W

One of the biggest moments of my entire life.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Just by talking about this on an internet forum makes me think that the SS is in route to your home already.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't know about other states, but in Georgia it's illegal to carry at a public gathering.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Didn't Elvis get into the oval office with a .45?  (a gift for Nixon)
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to carry my M14 at the whitehouse several times a week. It was unloaded, of course. But still a firearm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#34]
First, I would consult Ohio's CCW laws.  Ohio's laws are still restrictive enough that it may be prohibited to carry at public event such as a political rally.

Personally, I wouldn't carry at this particular event.  I think it's asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I would advise against a CCW any where around the President.  

It wouldn't be fun getting taken down by the SS when you walked through the metal detector.  I'm sure they take you down hard and fast.  

Don't forget.  The government gave you permission to carry.  The SS take it way faster.  It's not a right to carry concealed, it's a privilege.  

Be safe, leave it home.  

Stormtrooper I also carry into the white house every day.  My house is painted white.    

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Try the law of common sense.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#37]
CC-fuckin-W?  Try bringing in a pro-Bush sign with a short stick attatched to it and see how the SS Uniformed Division acts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#38]
During the former administration I carried concealed while driving by the hotel where the President was staying. Again when the President was flying out of Boise in his G3 we were obliged to land while Airforce one was operating. Both my rider and I were armed (as we always are) and watched the Presidential jet take off while we stood and watched from the other side of the runway, the opposite side from SS security. I was not impressed with security that day. The nearest SS agent was over a quarter of a mile away. We were closer to the G3 at takeoff than the SS ground contingent was.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#39]

That'll get you on 'the list'. You can look forward to strip searches at airports, being tackled at political meetings just before a handshake, 4am raids on your home, etc...

There is NO list.....and your name isn't one IT.

MT
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Trust me.  I would not carry to a Presidential event, period.

Just trust me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I went to a small event at the Kennedy Center back around 1995 and Hillery gave a speech.  No metal detectors and almost no visible security (I only spotted two SS agents).   Made me wonder if anyone cared about her security.  

Bush 41 had at least 8 with him at Cirque Du Soliel.  Of course, it was post 9/11 and he and Barbara were very jumpy.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try the law of common sense.  

There is a federal law that prohibits weapons (except those authorized) within so many feet of the President and VP, I think something like 1500 feet . Nope, don't know it because it is not my job to enforce it.

Met Ford as a kid, and watched Reagan speak during the 84 campaign. Then Governor Bush used to park at my intersection when he came to games, and occasionally dad would be there, too. I also helped shut the Interstate down for him once on the way to Crawford, but he has other means of getting there now.

The USSS is very frigging serious about presidential security. Don't carry at a presidential event unless you want to have a very unpleasant experience.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Geez, folks, I never said I intended to carry! I was just surprised that they left such a big / important issue off thier flyer of rules and regulations. I've never been to something like this before. They had metal detectors going in, kinda like the airport but not as strict.

The announced crowd was 20,000. I guess it's possible...I'm not a very good judge of such things. I didn't get close enough to shake hands or anything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Geez, folks, I never said I intended to carry! I was just surprised that they left such a big / important issue off thier flyer of rules and regulations. I've never been to something like this before. They had metal detectors going in, kinda like the airport but not as strict.

The announced crowd was 20,000. I guess it's possible...I'm not a very good judge of such things. I didn't get close enough to shake hands or anything.

Good, glad to hear you didn't pack. Sorry for not understanding. You can see where we were coming from then about the carry issue. We all figured you wanted to be by the pres with a gun in your pants.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Some years ago, when the senior Mr. Bush was
Vice President, I was assigned to do a  TV "live shot"
for the noon news during his visit to a major southern
city. This was in the eighties and the environment was
a bit different when it came to security. It was tight,but many
of us who had frequent contact with POTUS and VPOTUS were
issued Secret Service passes. Took a while to get them, but they did
expedite access to events.(Still have it..an odd looking credential).

With that as background, I carried to the event. When I got to the metal
detector,I declared and was told I could not enter the secure area with a
gun.  Fortunately, my neighbor was working the other access detail. He was
with ATF. I called him over and he took possession of my gun until the event
was over. There was no hassle and no problem.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Good, glad to hear you didn't pack. Sorry for not understanding. You can see where we were coming from then about the carry issue. We all figured you wanted to be by the pres with a gun in your pants.

I still think your original comment was way off the mark.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#48]
The President in speaking at Fort Meigs, Perrysberg. On ABC 13 and CBS 11 out of Toledo. Big ass # of supporters there.[
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#49]
The reported crowd in Troy was 20,000!!! (I think the town population is like 25,000).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top