Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2005 3:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 8:19:53 PM EDT by SevenMMmag]
My pistol shooting virginity that is.

Tomorrow is the first day of my college mandated physical education classes. I picked Introduction to Pistol Marksmanship mainly because I never really got the opportunity to shoot handguns back in home.

So....what should I focus on? Any tips? Advice? do's and dont's?

Thanks

UPDATE:

Today, we finally went to the range. Our instructor is absolutely amazing and is a diehard 2nd amendment supporter, something I would never expect to see in a faculty member at our school. He has a large collection of both guns and motorcycles, is a competitive shooter, and a instructor for both pistol and skeet/trap shooting at the local gun club.

Basically, today we went to the range and he talked for about an hour and a half about range safety, ettiquette, behavior, and operation. He introduced us to the two weapons we will be learning on: the Smith&Wesson K22 and the Ruger MkII. We spent quite a while learning about how the guns worked, how to manipulate everything, and did plenty of dry firing.

Today, we only fired 10 rounds at 50ft. as a short introduction to pistol shooting (we will be shooting about 100-150 rounds a week starting next week). I didn't shoot that great, but better than 8/10 other guys there. I put five rounds in the black and the other five in the 6 and 5 ring. My grouping was basically a straight line from the 6 o'clock position right up to 12 o'clock, which the instructor attributed to too much tension on the grip. Any other possiblities?

For this course, we'll ultimately learn and compete in 50ft. slow fire, timed fire, and rapid fire events. Also, he will bring in a gun from his collection every week for us to learn about and shoot after each session. Next week, he's bringing a black-powder pistol. he'll follow that up with a Garand, 1911, Ar15, and who knows what else

This, undoubtely, is the best college course ever.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:41:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SevenMMmag:

Thanks

isn't that the classes job?

best advice?

HAVE FUN!!
(no shootin' classes when I went to school!!)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:41:50 PM EDT
Watch the front sight. Squeeze, don't yank the trigger, and the gunshot should surprise you.

Concentrate on two things: The sight picture, and the pressure on the trigger. Ignore everything else.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:42:15 PM EDT
Well since it's a class I'm sure they will teach you everything you need to know to shoot safely and accurately. Just listen to your instructors.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 3:43:07 PM EDT by Ardenner]
Just remember to hold it sideways. Fortunately UT doesn’t have a physical education requirement. (I do work out every other day, I just prefer to do it on my own time.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 3:45:19 PM EDT by TKoProductions]
WHAAAAAAAAAAATTT??????

Your college offers Marksmanship classes?

Such a thing is unheard of in CA. Our colleges won't even let us form marksmanship clubs!

Liberalism officially deprived me of the "college experience."
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:46:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TKoProductions:
WHAAAAAAAAAAATTT??????

Such a thing is unheard of in CA. Our colleges won't even let us form marksmanship clubs!

Yes, interestingly enough...it surprised the shit out of me considering we are smack dab in one of the most liberal towns in the US.

Besides pistol marksmanship, we also offer skeet/trap shooting and rifle marksmanship
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:47:05 PM EDT

Your college offers Marksmanship classes? Such a thing is unheard of in CA. Our colleges won't even let us form marksmanship clubs! Liberalism officially deprived me of the "college experience."

You should move here! Texas is the greatest state in the Union!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:48:35 PM EDT

WHAAAAAAAAAAATTT??????

Yes, interestingly enough...it surprised the shit out of me considering we are smack dab in one of the most liberal towns in the US.

Besides pistol marksmanship, we also offer skeet/trap shooting and rifle marksmanship

You lucky son of a bitch. Enjoy it, cause I know I sure would have.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:51:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KlubMarcus:

Your college offers Marksmanship classes? Such a thing is unheard of in CA. Our colleges won't even let us form marksmanship clubs! Liberalism officially deprived me of the "college experience."

You should move here! Texas is the greatest state in the Union!

I think you guys got your hands full at the moment with all those refugees.

I did drive through Texas last summer, and swore if I moved out of CA, TX would be among my top considerations.

I love the land out there, especially in northern Texas.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 3:57:56 PM EDT by TKoProductions]
As for tips, go here:

www.armedforcesjournal.com/blackwater/?s=2004_videos

And watch the second video in the right column titled: Todd Jarrett's pistol-shooting tips.

Helped me improve my accuracy.

Alot of good tips and techniques.

You will need RealPlay to view it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:27:02 PM EDT

WHAAAAAAAAAAATTT??????

Liberalism officially deprived me of the "college experience."

Our local high schools have officially recognized junior CMP clubs!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:28:06 PM EDT
I lost mine to MR DE 50AE
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:31:20 PM EDT
Sight picture, sight alignment adn a slow steady even squeeze to the rear so that the hammer falls without the shooters knowledge
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:33:11 PM EDT
The part with a hole in it goes away from your face.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:48:33 PM EDT
Man I would be in heaven if my college offered gun related courses. I definitely need help in my markmenship.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:55:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By staraero:
The part with a hole in it goes away from your face.

And make sure your supporting hand's thumb is not in the way of the slide! A painful and spectacularly bloody lesson best learned by other people!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:01:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 5:02:23 PM EDT by CamperDad]

do's and dont's?

Don't shoot the teacher or any of the other students.

- CD

PS: Good luck & have fun...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:04:39 PM EDT

Tomorrow is the first day of my college mandated physical education classes. I picked Introduction to Pistol Marksmanship mainly because I never really got the opportunity to shoot handguns back in home.

Thanks

You all can still shoot pistols in NJ, learn something new everyday Be careful, those Airsofts have a helluva kick to 'em j/k

Seriously though, take your time and concentrate and have fun
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:06:39 PM EDT
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Where do I sign up for a masters in pistola?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:11:12 PM EDT
Relish the brass bouncing off your head. It builds character.

When a hot 40SW case goes down shirt, put the gun down first before doing the hot brass dance.

When the muzzle brakes come out, its time for a water break behind the firing line.

Gently squeeze the trigger. Your strong hand is for guidance and control, the weak hand is for compression.

Front sight. Focus on nothing else. Watch your front sight rise off your target. If you don't see your front sight rising off the target, you're not concentrating on your front sight. At 25 yards, you don't need to "see" the target.

That's all I know.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:12:39 PM EDT

Thanks

What school are you going to. This is New Jersey right?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:26:14 PM EDT
I took Advanced Marksmanship last semester. I'm takin' Begining Marksmanship this semester.

I love it. Surely the most enjoyable class I have ever taken.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 5:48:24 PM EDT by SevenMMmag]

Originally Posted By sterling18:

Thanks

No, I left NJ for NY
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:50:42 PM EDT
See if they know about bumpfiring
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:54:01 PM EDT
Damn, wish my college offered that
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:18:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sterling18:

Thanks

No, I left NJ for NY

What school are you attending, maybe I can get my company to do education re-emburstment. Don't I wish. Hey Boss, my final project is underwater bump firing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:21:42 PM EDT
Fun time was had by me today
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:28:55 PM EDT
ASk him if he has a .50AE, you HAVE to try that atleast once.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:35:51 PM EDT

WHAAAAAAAAAAATTT??????

What school?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:44:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By five2one:

WHAAAAAAAAAAATTT??????

What school?

Cornell
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:00:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 4:02:17 AM EDT by Cabby]

Cornell

NO SHIT!!! Color me dumbfounded!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:29:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KBaker:
Watch the front sight. Squeeze, don't yank the trigger, and the gunshot should surprise you.

Concentrate on two things: The sight picture, and the pressure on the trigger. Ignore everything else.

Plus, lock your wrist but leave your elbow loose. It will make sense when you figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:39:35 AM EDT
In New Jersey of all places.

Just wait till Frank Lautenberg finds out.

Just saw him the other day...is he still alive??

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:39:40 AM EDT
You might want to invest in some Birdman HoMeBoY NyTe SyTeS....

Top Top