Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/27/2006 3:24:23 AM EDT
A friend of mine just got a new job that involves getting a security clearance. I am one of his charecter references. So what should I expect?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:25:53 AM EDT
Hide the dogs.

Hide your book about waco too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:33:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 3:34:07 AM EDT by modog]
It won't be the FBI, it will be a DSS agent or even a PI subcontracting for DSS. They have a list of questions they're going to ask you, then ask you if you can think of any reason why Mr.X should not hold a position of trust with the U.S. government. They will also try to get a name of someone else they should talk to about Mr.X that he didn't list on his SF86. This is what is known as a 'developed reference'.

It's not a big deal. They're not there to talk about you. AND, unless things have changed radically in the last year, it may be a year before they actually get to you.

Also, if it's only a SECRET, they won't send anyone around at all. A SECRET just requires a NAC/LAC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 3:45:31 AM EDT by Sagus]

Originally Posted By modog:
It won't be the FBI, it will be a DSS agent or even a PI subcontracting for DSS. They have a list of questions they're going to ask you, then ask you if you can think of any reason why Mr.X should not hold a position of trust with the U.S. government. They will also try to get a name of someone else they should talk to about Mr.X that he didn't list on his SF86. This is what is known as a 'developed reference'.

It's not a big deal. They're not there to talk about you. AND, unless things have changed radically in the last year, it may be a year before they actually get to you.

Also, if it's only a SECRET, they won't send anyone around at all. A SECRET just requires a NAC/LAC.

+1

No matter what it's for, they're not going to ask you much anyway - he provided your name, so it's assumed that you're going to say nice things. If it's for a TS, the people he didn't list will be the important ones.

I've been interviewed once. Investigator was backgrounding my former boss, and called to talk to my boss at the time. I said he wasn't in, then they started with..."Well...did you know Johnny Doe?". It just so happened I did and didn't like him, so I was on the phone quite a while. Didn't lie, but told what he didn't want the investigators to hear.

ETA to clarify: The guy was being checked out for a security position at the Pentagon. He was one of those "reverse racists" who only wanted fellow men of color to work in "his" military armory. I was the only white guy he couldn't find anything on to kick me out of the gun room.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:46:53 AM EDT
Be sure to keep a picture of lootie in plain sight so they'll know your one of us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:04:18 AM EDT
make sure to wear full cammies and awnser the door with your rifle. Keep saying they need to quit down or the spy satallite will hear them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:07:09 AM EDT
dont fall for the "can you cut down this shotgun barrel for me?" trick!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:28:50 AM EDT
Tell them it's good to see your friend finally kicked his drug problem. Then ask them if they can help you collect the $500 he owes you.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:43:09 AM EDT
He's probably a contractor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:27:55 AM EDT
Drop your drawers. They're going to do a rectal examination without the vaseline.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:31:33 AM EDT
Stop shaving now, and when they come over answer the door in nothing but a pair of overalls and holding a shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:33:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Stop shaving now

Haven't shaved in 2 months.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:37:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Stop shaving now

Haven't shaved in 2 months.

Then you are well on your way!!!

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:01:49 AM EDT
Make sure you dress for the occasion.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:03:31 AM EDT

A friend of mine just got a new job that involves getting a security clearance. I am one of his charecter references. So what should I expect?

The Gestapo what else?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:05:36 AM EDT
Two words: Anal Probe
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:11:47 AM EDT
I just did this for a former student who's in the Navy. Takes about 10 minutes, painless, questions are what you'd expect. Attitude, loyalty, behavior, crimes you know they've committed, boilerplate stuff, really.

I'd have no qualms about doing it again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:13:19 AM EDT
"That rat bastard stole my dog and knocked up my sister!"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:17:05 AM EDT
I don't know the guy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:28:13 AM EDT

bend over and take it like a man
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:44:19 AM EDT
The reply is always..."thank you sir, may I have another"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:46:14 AM EDT
My brother inlaw listed me as a reference for his clearance in the airforce, have not gotten a reference check, its been a couple years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:52:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:
"That rat bastard stole my dog and knocked up my sister!"

Sounds like you got off easy. He stole my sister and knocked up my dog!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:55:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rbailey:
I don't know the guy.

That'd be one way to really throw a wrench in the gears.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:03:07 AM EDT
I was a reference for a friend about 10 years ago. He was applying to the FBI. Agent called me at 9am and asked if he could meet me at my office at 11am. I said sure. 5 minutes later he walks in the front door, asks for me and is shown to my office. He flashed FBI creds and excused the person that was in my office. Kinda ballsy I thought. Anyway, we talked for about 20 minutes or so. He asked how long we had known each other, how we met (shooting IPSC) , political views. (applicants and mine) Asked lots of gun questions (2nd amendment and gun control views) He seemed to know the answers before he asked them. He was all business during the interview. When he was done his whole personality changed. We then spent 30 minutes talking guns and he was on his way. Before he left, he told me my friend got the job.

FB
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:49:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fatbarrel:
I was a reference for a friend about 10 years ago. He was applying to the FBI. Agent called me at 9am and asked if he could meet me at my office at 11am. I said sure. 5 minutes later he walks in the front door, asks for me and is shown to my office. He flashed FBI creds and excused the person that was in my office. Kinda ballsy I thought. Anyway, we talked for about 20 minutes or so. He asked how long we had known each other, how we met (shooting IPSC) , political views. (applicants and mine) Asked lots of gun questions (2nd amendment and gun control views) He seemed to know the answers before he asked them. He was all business during the interview. When he was done his whole personality changed. We then spent 30 minutes talking guns and he was on his way. Before he left, he told me my friend got the job.

FB

We had an employee that went to work for the FBI. Two agents came to the office asked to see the President and CEO no explanation. Our bosses had no idea what was going on and were scare to death. I thought it was funny.

Top Top