Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 5:07:39 PM EDT
Wife's got a business trip over there. If she adds 3 days, she saves $2k on the plane ticket, so we're using some frequent flyer miles to get me a ticket to show up on the tail end. Free trip, what the heck.

So, anything I should know? I imagine it's a lot like NYC, but I don't want to get knifed by a Limey or get kidnapped by pirates.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Have fun. It's great to tack on a pleasure trip with a business trip.

I had a business trip to Sweden several years ago and took the wife along.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
No tall wallets.  Gypos picked my Dad's wallet last spring in London, he lost most of his money for use during the trip, I spent three hours on the phone canceling credit and debit cards and fixing bank accts.  Also, make sure you have someone back in the States that you can call on in a emergency that can get stuff done.  Have fun and tell The Queen Mum I said hey!  Wes
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary fuckin' Poppins.  That London?  Sounds cool.  Take a picture of a knife bin for us, or any other anti gun/knife propaganda you see.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
eat good food, specially the sausages, get a breakfast fryup for sure with some blood pudding

hit Piccadilly for some hookers and blow

drink awesome fucking beer!!!

Oh, and fish and chips

drive on the wrong side of the road

go see Gordon Ramsey and tell him his restaurants are shit and to get real!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Have relatives there and been there a bunch of times. Just the usual big city cautions like pickpockets and dark alleys.  Public transport isn't too bad. Enjoy the beer and fish and chips.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Give my best to Lord Nelson.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
It is fucking nothing like NYC!!!!!!!!!  Dont insult London like that.  Get out, walk around.  See big Ben, go to West Minister Abby (unreal)  Go to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square.  Go to the the World War II muesum and look at Churchhills war room. Just get out and meet the people, most of them are great, way more laid back then Americans and more educated.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad was in UK for a short while.
Breakfast: No problem. Eggs and similar shit as here.
Otherwise  

He lived on Fish and Chips and roast beef.

The beer? He said he drank scotch the entire time.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Why do they call him Bullet Dodger?

Because he dodges bullets, Avi.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Slightly apprehensive, since I'm not much of a big city guy, and this will be my first Euro trip.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why do they call him Bullet Dodger?
Because he dodges bullets, Avi.

Great movie, lol.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Three words...

Imperial War Museum
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The museums are amazing. You could spend a month in that city alone sightseeing.

Don't miss:

Imperial War Museum

The British Museum

Changing of the guard- but go for the Homeland Cavalry one -they're mounted guard, and they parade out for the shift change; it's pretty cool.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Have the Imperial War Museum, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey on the to do list. Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have the Imperial War Museum, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey on the to do list. Should be interesting.

Full day or more just for the IWM.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It is fucking nothing like NYC!!!!!!!!!  Dont insult London like that.  Get out, walk around.  See big Ben, go to West Minister Abby (unreal)  Go to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square.  Go to the the World War II muesum and look at Churchhills war room. Just get out and meet the people, most of them are great, way more laid back then Americans and more educated.

This. The English are the nicest people I have ever encountered. London is a great city.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I imagine it's a lot like NYC,  

NYC is a shithole compared to london

Go see shit that is older than the US, its cool
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I lived in london for a little over a year, if I had to choose one "big city" to live in london would be it. I moved back to the US in 2002 so some of my advice may be outdated but...

1) If you like Indian food you will not be disappointed, find a good restaurant and have a good meal. ...some say the indian food in london is better than the best you can get in india.

2) pubs are awesome and are your friend. My favorite is within a walk from the British Museum, a lot of good, fun, blue collar folks who work at the royal mail depot across the street go to this pub after work:
http://www.pakenhamarms.com/

3) Take your wife to see Les Miserables...it is awesome and women tend to dig the theater.

4) Don't take cash & don't use exchanges to get pounds. Use ATM's, it will save you money.

5) Get ready to bend over and squeal with the exchange rate!

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Remember they drive on the wrong side of the road over there. Most people would think this info is more important if you plan to have access to a vehicle. Truth is, it's most important if you plan on walking accross the street. Can't tell you how many times I almost stepped right in front of a vehicle because I was looking the wrong direction to see if a car was coming in the lane I was about to step into.

Adrock1
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
great Taxi's . pubs, RAF Museum, British Museum.  Nothing like NYC.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a regular visitor to London, in fact I'm at the airport now, about to leave for London in 15 minutes.

If it's your first trip, then do the obvious.  Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Hyde Park etc.  You'll be wildly entertained.  It really is a fun place.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I grew up there, and lived there for nearly 20 years. It is good for tourism, although very different to live in, unless you can afford the upmarket areas. Drinking is generally very expensive in comparison to most of the U.K which is why many British people prefer to stay at home; shop bought stuff is much cheaper. Look for branches of Weatherspoons if you want to try a good range of ale, most pubs are fairly poor in terms of selection due to demand for lager.

Crime is fairly low, even in the deprived areas. Yes, you may get pickpockets after tourists, but most criminals mind their own business. I wouldn't draw too much attention to your nationality in certain areas; London is home to a lot of Islamic extremists - as in the kind that suicide bomb places and fight in Afghanistan/Pakistan. Some of the more infamous hate preachers ran mosques near where I lived, such as this chap.

I'd say Kew Gardens would be the place to visit. The glasshouses are nice at this time of year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Watch out for the warewolves
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've never been there, but I have worked with lots of Brits and they have all been a blast to hang out with.  Have Fun
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Bombadier Ale and Stonehenge if you can.  Walkable city to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Get a tourist train pass and see the city. Great place.  Food is crap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So, anything I should know? I imagine it's a lot like NYC

not the roads........ or the omission of street name signs... or any meaningful direction guides such as.... the Sun.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Have your wife get a thong with the tube map on the front. If I had a girl with me when I was there I SO would have her where it. No looking up at tube maps on the damn train.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Imperial War Museum - Fuck Yeah!

Madame Tussaud's - meh

British Museum - Yes

Tower of London - Essential. If you visit nothing else, go there. Let the staff explain it to you while they make fun of you and the French. The Tower is literally the stuff that legends are made of. It holds the ghosts of a thousand years. It's difficult for Americans to appreciate it until they go there. It will also give you an idea why Europeans tend to giggle when we claim that something from 1750 is very old and historically significant.

Hampton Court - 'Nother palace, but much more modern. It was built in 1500. Henry VIII used to spend his leisure time there. He had more money than everyone else in the world and it shows. The guides may explain to you why they think that Hank had the syph and how that explains some of the things he did.

Stonehenge - bunch of rocks. boring.

221b Baker Street - Sherlock Holmes residence - never actually existed

West End - fun if you like theater. It won't be cheap, but it's a good date and what's successful there often finds it's way to Broadway, so you can tell all the snobs that you've already seen it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Tower of London also

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Imperial War Museum, which is free by the way....I walked there from the Big Ben, London Eye area the London Eye is cool but a little pricey.
http://london.iwm.org.uk/
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you are going to read EVERY single caption.

The IWM is nice, but its fairly small.

London is EXPENSIVE, but fun. As long as you either take the Tube, or walk in the touristy areas, you will be fine. Just normal common sense.

ETA: Remember that England is fairly small. If you get bored, there are plenty of other places to see on long day trips. Also, even Scotland is only a single overnight train ride, or 6 hour bus ride away.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if you are going to read EVERY single caption.

The IWM is nice, but its fairly small.

London is EXPENSIVE, but fun. As long as you either take the Tube, or walk in the touristy areas, you will be fine. Just normal common sense.

ETA: Remember that England is fairly small. If you get bored, there are plenty of other places to see on long day trips. Also, even Scotland is only a single overnight train ride, or 6 hour bus ride away.

There is more than one IWM site...  like the HMS Belfast

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Go to the White Horse on Parson's Green for some real ale.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Before you cross the street look right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Three words...

Imperial War Museum

is that the one that has the huge waterloo 'sand table'?

when i was there in '92, we wound up at a tiny war museum that had the most amazing collection.  the thing that stood out most was a large (12' x 12' maybe) recreation of the waterloo battlefield––it was just amazing to look over the terrain and force dispositions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#38]
If you are in a suit and tie kind of job head to Jermyn Street and get some decent dress shirts.  Most places will have a sale on and the shirts end up around $35-40, and are much better than anything you can find here...Real customer service too.  Most of the cabbies are great to talk with on your ride.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting. I clicked on this thread as "28 Days Later" came on.

Just avoid the rage monkeys. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Take a pot full of money. You aint gonna believe how expensive everything is
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Went there a few years ago.  Only got to stay 2 days and we tried to squeeze in as much as we could.  It kind of sucked because we were staying down by the Gatwick airport and had to ride the train in.  Then we walked probably 20 miles each day.  

You have to go to Windsor Castle.  It's a train ride out of town, but it is well worth it.  Just seeing all of the jewels (crowns), art, and even the huge dollhouse was amazing.  

Try to spend some time at St. Paul's Cathedral.  It was my favorite place to go.  Make sure you go up into the dome if you go.

The London Museum was neat.  Seeing the Rosetta Stone was just awesome.

The torture chamber at the Tower of London was cool.

WWII Museum was closed when we were there.

I think there is an old U-Boat there by the London Bridge that you can tour.

Changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace was neat, but the crowd can be a PITA.

We got to see them do a stunt scene for the movie National Treasure: Book of Secrets

And stay the hell away from Gainsborough Lodge.  Worst hotel ever.

By the way, our favorite meal in London was McDonald's.  We found one in Waterloo Station and were ecstatic!    Wasn't quite the same as the McD's here, but it was by far the best food in London.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Do the London Eye. It will give you a good idea how things are laid out. Riding the tubes tends to make it confusing. Buy a day travelcard and use the tube to get around. You'll waste time and money taking taxis.

Hotels are very expensive. Everything there costs 2x or more than a normal US city.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#43]
hope you have a great time , its not as bad as some folks say

well almost  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top