Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 9:07:28 AM EDT
Anything cool to see.  Any good gun stores to check out?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#1]
No spectacular guns stores to speak of.  Gun show in P'Cola on the 19-20th.  Ckeck out McKinnely (sp?) lab if you get a chance.  It's weird to see a B1 covered in ice with temps of 50 below zero in August.  TDY or PCS?  

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I beg to differ about there not being any spectacular guns stores to speak of. As a second job I work at a place called Charter Oak Firearms in Niceville, about 10 minutes outside the east gate. We have a little bit of everything in stock, including most of the major brands (HK, Beretta, Glock, B-master, RRA, etc.) and depending on the ATF, we may have our ClassIII by then. Stop in and give us a holler, we're in the book.
(A shameless plug for the store, I know, but it pays the bills.)  
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be TDY for a week there.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Prime Ribs course by any chance ??
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Woo Hoo Panama City Beach !!! just down the road from Eglin some nice clubs/bars/nightlife etc you wont get bored.

Ok The wife wants me to plug the naval avaition museum at Pesacola NAS and I admit its pretty good lot of display restored aircraft most all indoors except for a few static displays outside.Worth the trip if you are into that sorta thing.

there used to be a good static display of spec-op's aircraft just inside the gate there at Eglin it also is wortha few minuites to check out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
My apologies, SchlaffTablett.  I rarely visit Niceville and, since most of my purchases are via the internet these days, I wasn't aware of Charter Oaks.  Where exactly are you located?

there used to be a good static display of spec-op's aircraft just inside the gate there at Eglin it also is wortha few minuites to check out.
View Quote

You're thinking of Hurlburt, offctr.  But definitely worth the visit.  Also, I had forgotten about the Armament museum just outside Eglin.  There's an SR71, a BUFF and several others. That's the problem with living somewhere; you see stuff everyday and it begins to turn invisible.  

Eddie

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:46:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quite allright,LS1. You did forget to mention the small arms room at the Armamnent Museum. It has a couple hundred guns from single shot muzzle loading pocket pistols to a 20mm cannon.
Charter Oak is located at 1817 John Sims Pkwy right between Niceville and Bluewater Bay, where the 4 lane turns back into a 2 heading away from Eglin. Look for AA automotive and go through the intersecton about150' on your right, we are behind Carrage Hills Realty.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#8]
It was the one with the SR71 and 52 I was thinking of IIRC there was a 130 there also but it has been a long time since I was down there could be washing the two together somewhat. I drank alot more back then and some of those brain cells are still MIA.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad used to work at Eglin, and I was born near there at Fort Walton Beach. We moved back to Aberdeen when I was 2 years old though, so I can't help you on current attractions....

I wouldn't mind going there for a visit one of these days.  The only thing I can remember is "Billy Bowlegs". Does anybody know what that means???
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Gus,
Yep...Billy Bowlegs parade and celebration every summer...there's even a Pirate regatta that goes through the Bay and ends up at FWB city park...I'vee been here for 25 years..would'nt miss the parade for anything.

Schlaff,
I've never heard of the Charter Oak place in Boggy-ville...will have to go and check it out. Bought lots of things from Jay's in Crestview and Jimmy's in FWB. I just hate that we don't have a good range around here...the one up on the Shoal river sucks. And of course because they are ar afcon bravo at Hurlburt & Eglin...it's hard to get on there and shoot. It's just hard to explain why you are bringing 5 guns and a range bag full of ammo to "practice"...I would'nt want to try and explain right now.

Fort Walton beach/Destin...prettiest beaches in the world.

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fort Walton beach/Destin...prettiest beaches in the world.

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
View Quote

That's how I remember them. The last time I lived there was in 1963, and went back once in 1968 to visit the old neighbors. We lived waterfront in Shalimar. Back then it was just a dirt (sand?) road. I bet it's totally different nowadays. When I was there in '68, I walked out onto our old pier and you could see the bottom clearly in about 10 feet of water. My dad and older brothers (and neighbors) used to kill off the gators every spring so we could swim.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Prime Ribs course by any chance ??
View Quote

CAFTOP training
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just hate that we don't have a good range around here...the one up on the Shoal river sucks.
View Quote

Jim that used to run Shoal River is a heck of a nice guy. The facilities never were much - and the rifle range only went to 100 yards. It seemed like such a very long distance back then.

I don't recall the details, but someone bought the club, wanting to turn it into a  high dollar trap/skeet club from the sound of it. Jim and Co were looking to locate elsewhere, but I don't know any more, as I moved about the time the old SRGC store shut down.

USAF Armament Museum is neat, a tad smallish - certainly not the Air & Space museum. It's worth a separate trip just to read the CMOH wall upstairs when you're not running around looking at everything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top