Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 12:42:34 PM EDT
I am supposed to travel to Charleston on Monday - Should I go or tell the Boss to FO!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What a coicidence, so is Hurricane Ophelia.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the big deal?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What is the big deal?

See above.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh great.... my folks and my Dad's of the family live in Charleston..I went down there after Hugo..and the forests running NW of Charleston looked like they got laid out by a meteor strike.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is the big deal?

See above.

I am leaning towards going, however...maybe not!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
He's the boss. I know what I would say if you worked for me....
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks like it's going to miss us. (probably shouldn't have said that)

If you guys  know anyone that needs shelter from the storm let me know.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You've jinxed Chucktown now!

I'd personally wait till Sunday afternoon to make the call.  i don't know your relationship with your boss, but maybe ensure he understands the potential situation and your concerns prior to just elling him you aren't going.

What part of Charleston you going to? Downtown, James Island, Mount P?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go.

ETA
I live just a little north  of Wilmington  NC

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh great.... my folks and my Dad's of the family live in Charleston..I went down there after Hugo..and the forests running NW of Charleston looked like they got laid out by a meteor strike.

Yep.  Charleston floods bad downtown too...even without a storm just due to the tide in some streets.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yep.  Charleston floods bad downtown too...even without a storm just due to the tide in some streets.

My folks live West of the Ashley just across the Bridge...They have an island house on Wadamalaw and most of my Dad's people live on James Island..Just got off the phone with Mom...They are going to make the decision to stay or go tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That thing has changed direciton so many times, I would not even guess where it is going to hit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Your boss has chosen to deliberately put you in an unsafe location.  Refuse.

If he fires you, you have the basis for a lawsuit.

But it's your life and safety that is at stake, not his.

You are a big boy, make a decision.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Anytime you have the chance to tell the boss to "FO", take it!!

AB
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#15]
It's only a Category 1 storm.  Shoot, as SteyrAug put it, us Floridians go shopping in Cat 1 and Cat 2 hurricanes.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's only a Category 1 storm.  Shoot, as SteyrAug put it, us Floridians go shopping in Cat 1 and Cat 2 hurricanes.

Fox news said it may get to Cat 2 before landfall.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Why be combative about it?  If you "have" to go, just advise the boss as far in advance as you know, and tell him succintly why it is important to you.

As another poster said - if you jerked me around about it and told me to FO - I'd know what time it would be for you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#18]
isn't Ophelia barely past tropical storm level?
charleston rules
see fort sumter, and the naval stuff at the USS Yorktown
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
maybe you get stuck in the hurricane and get $2,000 like everyone else who got caught in a storm this year.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd go, but just remember:  don't pick up a plasma tv unless you get all of us one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Some plusses about Charleston...the history is great...the Yorktown is neat..love the architecture in downtown....the college girls jog around battery park.......

I got slapped alot when I was there because when I was not reading Historical markers I was watching boobies bounce.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Some plusses about Charleston...the history is great...the Yorktown is neat..love the architecture in downtown....the college girls jog around battery park.......

I got slapped alot when I was there because when I was not reading Historical markers I was watching boobies bounce.  

You forgot the great seafood.  You MUST tour the Yorktown - they also have (had) a small sub there you can tour.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
maybe you get stuck in the hurricane and get $2,000 like everyone else who got caught in a storm this year.

That's funny as hell!  Oh wait . . . no it's not.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#25]
If you have a wife and or children don't go.  Otherwise take a camcorder and hope you live to sell the tape.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Tell them all to hide their weapons
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What is the big deal?

+1

Take a BOB and sidearm.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot the great seafood.  You MUST tour the Yorktown - they also have (had) a small sub there you can tour.

I toured that sub on a family vacation not long after it was opened.  My dad kept banging his head on the plexiglass that covered the doorways of each of the display rooms.  How come your parents become complete morons when you turn 13?  It's as if they trying to embarrass you whenever the get the chance.  I guess I have ten more years before I become a moron.   [/hijack]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Down-town Charleston during a thunderstorm, guarentees a free underbody wash for your vehicle as you pass over the manholes in the road.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Down-town Charleston during a thunderstorm, guarentees a free underbody wash for your vehicle as you pass over the manholes in the road.

Saltwater underwash

The worst is coming across the connector from James Island and merging down onto Lockwood toward the Battery...argghhh, glub, glub, glub.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been through a few Cat 1 and Cat 2 hurricanes.  The last one was Erin, August 2 1995.  I was about 10 miles from where the eye came ashore.  They're really not that bad.  Some downed trees, a lot of rain.  Whoopee shit.  Disney World was up and running that morning when we checked in.

Now a Cat 4 or 5?  Fuck 'em.  I'm OUTTA THERE!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Your boss has chosen to deliberately put you in an unsafe location.  Unknown at this point. Refuse. Again too early to tell.

If he fires you, you have the basis for a lawsuit. You probably don't .  Do you have a "hire at will fire at will contract?"  What do you do and what kind of assignment is it?  If it is just a sales call, then refusing might be an option, but if you are a field service rep and the company contract calls for you guys to keep them running, you probably don't have an option.  In any case it's way to early to tell.

But it's your life and safety that is at stake, not his.

You are a big boy, make a decision.  But make it when you have all the information you need.  If it poops out and you refused, who's going to take your side?

If they declare a state of emergency or various evacuations, not going in is not a problem and your boss is going to live with it.  If he is so stupid as to not go with that, then wtf are you doing working for an idiot.  Again wait for the information you need.  I'ld head for the southwest  quadrant and go in ASAP (again depending on the job and assignment) after it passes/. If you are calling on a customer and they aren't there?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, it appears that Ophelia is going to skip on by Charleston.

Looks like this thread was much ado about nothing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Have a safe flight.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Come on down- you'll be fine.

Really.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top