Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2002 5:32:22 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I am going to MEPs in the next few weeks for
my physical for National Guard(11B).All my
friends that have enlisted have already went
to basic and went active so I can't ask them.
The only advice I have received is from the
recruiter,and well,he is a recruiter.He told me
to say no to everything.

1)Most people tell me horror stories of MEPs,
and that the doctors there don't have parents
and were assembled from dead GI's at OCS [:D] .
My recruiter says they will do every
thing to disqualify me.A active duty female
recruiter said the were good people there to
help me.Which is it?

2)I have allergies, dust,mold,and some weeds.Will
this be a problem?I plan on saying yes,as I will
not lie.

3)The recruiter said they will threaten to
press felony charges on me if I lie.I understand
that if I lie(I woul'nt anyway)it is falsifiung
a federal document,however most people say they
are B.S.ing?Are they serious?

Thanks for all your help,it means alot.I plan
to do this and ROTC (I am not scholarship).
I want to go active after college and get
commisioned as a 11A.

Edited to fix smiley
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got some mild seasonal hay fever, and I owned up to it. No one said a word about it.

Now, turn your head and cough. [shock]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The only allergies they are concerned with are those requiring medication, or life threatening allergies to insect stings. The last WILL disqualify you.

I have those pesky grass, mold, tree allergies, I just said no (personally, I think everyone has those, and I never did anything about them as they interfere with nothing, I take no meds, etc...). The only concern with this philosophy is if I were a pogue who wanted a VA disability check (for allergies? FAT CHANCE!!!)

But then again, this is the third time I have gone through this...

(Edited to say: be honest about it, the 84 year-old doc may just take an extra 20 mins with questions... no USAREC waiver board approval needed for this situation.)
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Sigman,

I did this last year when I was toying with re-enlisting.  It's a pretty simple physical.  Check eyes and ears, weigh you(body fat%), do some simple pushups walk, run in place, up a small portable set of steps(3high), check for hernia(cough while balls in hand), ask the standard questions that you get on a typical family practice info sheet.

Mild allergies are no problem.   That felony threat is a big scare tactic because the gov't doesn't want you to enlist with a debilitating sickness and have to pay you disability later down the road.  They will question you again once in boot camp(Navy does anyway).  They call it the moment of truth.

If you are an average guy and in good shape with no major malfuntions you'll be fine.  Fact: Some MEPS are stricter than others.  I MEPed in Philly and Balitmore.  Baltimore way more lax!  

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.So do I provide them with documents
on my medical history or do they do a background
medical search on their own?Is that what the
document release is for?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
sigman,

If that is all you have your good. If the meds are perscription meds you might have problems. You will here alot of threats from people that will be doing your packet. The people that are asking you are trying to weed out the people that should not be going in. People that are hiding major problems. Dont sweat it I have been there three times 16 years in the Army. (All spelling errors are mine alone)

P.S. Go enlisted first, so you can see things on the real working end of the military.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
what about screws and staples? i want to join the guard but i was told it owuld be a prob by the army recruiter, Air force told me it wouldnt be. or should i just say F*ck it and try anyway?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahhhhhhhhhhh..........  MEPS.

Those were some fine memories.  The "turn your head and cough", the finger printing, the free bibles...  Man if I were you I'd tell them you're a gay communist, so thanks, and feel free to keep the stool sample, but I gots to be somewheres else now.

(seriously dude, it's nothing to worry about)
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#10]
First, never volunteer any information, always be the silent type and do what your told by the staff at MEPS.  
Secondly, if you have any type of health record on anything and you dont report it, if that particular injury/condition becomes an issue during your service, you'll find yourself in front of a court marshall defending yourself as to why you did not list that on your entry papers because the military WILL search your health records all the way back to your birth.  Now dont report sprained ankles and similar ills, but do report broken bones, stitches, etc.  I stated that I had a "finger in the eye" during football and I had to produce those papers even though it was a VERY minor injury.  Be honest bout your allergies, I doubt they will DQ you because of a small case of hay fever.  If there is no record of it in your health file at the hospital/clinic, then I say dont worry about.  Just dont stash any allergy pills in your kit at boot camp otherwise you'll be dead meat.  
Thirdly, when the dock say to "bend and spread cheeks", dont lean forward and grab your face cheeks to show him your teeth and gums, that will piss him off and give him even more of a reason to DQ.

Forth, drink gallons of water the day befor you go to help your system "purify".  It will help lower your blood pressure and clean you piss of any extra salt, glucose (sugar), and toxins that might raise eyebrows that question your health.  They can read alot about your body by the piss sample.  Dont wink at the guy when you hand him your sample, either.

Fifth, just relax and soak in the oath that you take.  Most dip-f*cks that take that oath have no clue what they are saying or doing.

I was DQ'd due to a "questionable" hip condition that I had when I was 5yo, otherwise I would be jumping out of airplanes with the 82nd AB.  Oh yeah, I volunteered that to be "honest".  I played college footabll, lifted tons of weights, and ran miles and NEVER had any pain or complications because of my hip.  The Amry missed out on one of the most dedicated soldiers they ever could have had; Me.  I still get pissed when I think of it 9 years after I went through MEPS.

Good Luck!!!    
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JRB L1A1:when the dock say to "bend and spread cheeks"
View Quote

And make sure you wipe your butt really good. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Sigman:

I just went through MEPS back before Christmas.  What you have been told already is sound information so stick with it!

As was said do, not volunteer any information.

Answer their questions and do not elaborate on anything that you happen to be put in the position of giving an affirmative reply to.

For example:  If you know you are drug free and that you won't "pee hot" then do not volunteer the information that you once smoked pot (if you ever did)  If you will pee hot then don't even bother going to MEPS!   See?  Simple

No...I never smoked pot!
No...I never smoked crack cocaine!
No...I do not use alcohol!
etc etc etc

You will have your BP taken, your vision tested, blood drawn, pee in cup, talk to the CMO (Cheif Medical Officer), go through an orthopedic exam, have your nutts diddled, possibly a finger up your arse, be measured (for heighth) and weighed.  Once wieghed your age will correspond with weight on a chart and that will state your range of acceptability.

If you are stocky, muscular or just a big guy, then you will be taped.  That is where they take three repeat measurements of your neck, chest and waist.  Suck in if you are a bit heavy, broaden your neck and stand as tall as possible.  A computer program will determine your body fat content based on those 3 readings and this will be compared to the same acceptable range for your age and weight.

That will about do it.

Be polite and courteous.  Respond with yes and no sirs and mams.

It does depend on what MEPS you go to in many cases.

Again, they will be looking to DQ you for any reason.  In some cases........mine for example, a waiver may be granted by the CMO for any variance in the areas you are tested on during MEPS or otherwise, which would not seriously affect your ability to perform your duties.

Mine was a slight variance at the 4000 hz level on the hearing test.  Now, I am waiting on the Pentagon to approve this waiver before I get a ship date.

Everything else fpr me was okay from ASVAB scores and on.

Good luck brother.

Relax, enjoy and learn.  This may be your first taste of the military way.

I know I enjoyed the experience (well, not the nutt diddling thing but YKWIM)

BTW.....what is your MOS?

Mine is MP.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JRB L1A1:

Thirdly, when the dock say to "bend and spread cheeks",
View Quote

Be sure to wink at him and say, "Be gentle, you big Stud!".  It'll be real funny and the doc and all of the staff will laugh and think you are the greatest.

Also, before you go to basic to become a weekend warrior, get yourself a nice big 5th SF tattoo on your forearm so your Drill Sergeants will know the depth of your commitment and go just a little easier on you.

Just take it easy, and do as they tell you, and you will be fine.  They will be looking for ways to get you in, not toss you out, the E in MEPS stands for entrance.  Good luck, and thanks for signing up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#14]
sigman,

don't worry - meps is no big deal.  the hardest part is waking up so early!  as far as i know, they don't want to hear about every little cough and 24 hour virus you may have had - just severe stuff envolving surgery/hospitals/etc.  

i'm not sure about them checking your medical records.  i don't even see how it could be possible unless you gave them the names of all the different doctors you've ever been to.
just my 2 cents...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top