Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2001 5:31:47 AM EDT
Help!!

A bunch of guys from work and I are going paintball playing this weekend.  We are going to a paintball field in Eastern Colorado.  It sounds like a great place.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated so I don't look to much like a newbie.  A few of the people going are avid players, so I want to look like I at least have a clue as to what is going on.  

I am looking forward to a fun day!

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
One thing I find that most vets hate (I'm still a newbie myself) is "sniping." i.e., someone who hangs out in a hide, doesn't move around at all, and just picks people off.

While I don't understand this mentality (it IS a war game scenario) just be aware thats the way many of the vets feel.

Understand the difference between cover and concealment. Cover won't let a paintball get you. Concealment MAY.

Paintball ain't like shooting a firearm. Paintball is won by the VOLUME of paint thrown at teh opponent. Aimed fire is pointless. Just blast away with a constant flow of paint. You'll get lucky and get some easy kills.

NEVER take your mask off in the field of play.

NEVER EVER EVER wipe paint off DURING the game. The vets HATE that, and besides, its uncool. It'll likely get you several paint balls to the groin, at close range.

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Been playing for about a year and a half and even won the base tournament last year.  Sorry had to pat my own back there!  Anyway, more to the point.  First off....  Get in the fight.  Your team depends on you to do your job.  Whether it's holding a flank or driving the middle get your head up and toss some paint.  I had a friend that was notorious for not getting in the fight.  He'd be about 20' behind all of us hiding.  When we'd give him shit about it he'd say "I don't want to be the first one dead."  Oh well, some people just aren't cut out for It I guess.  Here's another tip, accuracy by volume.  Like stated above, there's no point in aiming... Just let the paint fly.  However, don't over shoot somebody once you've started to hit them.  That's not taken as nice either.  My last bit of advice...HAVE FUN!  If you get lit up don't worry about it... It's happened to all of us.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The main thing is... Don't be afraid to lay down some serious fire.  This will help you team advance.  Carry spare ammo and shoot shoot shoot.  I use the paint like tracers instead of trying to aim.  I walk it to my target.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
You can try my patented method of winning at paintball.  

Get one of those power squirt guns, fill it with paint and go wild, hose 'em down.  If thats not your cup of tea, just get a bucket of paint, insert paint brush, and start whipping paint all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the great advise.  I had a great time today.  My body is paying a bit for it, but what the hell!

I used all your suggestions and after I figured out what was going on, really got into it.  I even got close enough to have someone surrender to me.  I would have hated to shoot him in the back at point blank range, but I would have if he would have swung around.  

One thing I did figure out is to watch for when the enemy was relaoding.  I got a few confirmed kills that way.  

What a blast!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
one thing im big on with newbies is playing style. remember, its just paint so take some risks, or the game is a stalemate. but on the other hand, dont play like the terminatoir and pretend your invincable. i guess its about a balance of risk, too little no fun and too much makes you look like an ass.

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Don't forget:  Paintball is great stress relief. "We" go once a month.........
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
All this talk about not aiming,makes it sound like your playing with rentals,my 2 cents:spend the money and get your own gun,buy an accurate barrel and that'll put some of the skill back in the game instead of just spray and pray.

Quick tip;if your playing against [newbie]'s flank 'em from the sides and come in the back door,or push up on the left and right flanks and fall back in the center,they'll think their winning and push up,works every time.

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All this talk about not aiming,makes it sound like your playing with rentals,my 2 cents:spend the money and get your own gun,buy an accurate barrel and that'll put some of the skill back in the game instead of just spray and pray.

View Quote

WRONG!
When in doubt....empty your hopper.
(Remember, it's about having fun.)
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#10]
And you can't have fun if your wasting all your money on paintballs that aren't hitting anything!

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I noticed you were in colorado also, if you are intested i am selling my 2000 Autococker paintbll gun.  If you or anyone else is intested email me for pics and info

Chris
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Those $800 nitrous guns are wicked.

Of course, I think I would rather spend it on a new AR.

Great fun, I would recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#13]
anyone make a FA paintball gun [:D] maybe a paintball minigun sersly thu i love paintball only been a couple times thu. heh if i can afford em and the pace u are at allows em paint grenades are fun! once  when i was playing i lobbed one into some newbies hidey hole and took out like 3 of em
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top