Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2001 11:49:08 AM EDT
Gonna make a trip down there in about [s]two weeks[/s]in five days.  Only going to be for 4-5 days.  Road trip once we get there, basically Dallas to San Antonio to Houston and back to Dallas.  Got a few stops along the way.  One in Mansfield and one in Lockhart.  I see it will take me through Waco and Huntsville anything to stop for?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
stop at one of the local BBQ joints.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Of course you will hit the Riverwalk in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The West End in Dallas is kinda cool. Lots of shops and restaurant and a walk away from the Book Depository where Kennedy got shot. If you're into bar hopping and partying; lower Greenville is the place. For clubbing Deep Ellum (although I have not checked that area out yet)

And of course, tons of nudie bars around NW HWY. Drop me an e-mail, maybe I can meet you for drinks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
stop at one of the local BBQ joints.
View Quote

Yes believe it or not, it is about the main reason I am going.  I saw show on 48 hours about a year ago and have wanted to go ever since. [url]http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,146446-412,00.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Planned on the River Walk have friends that go down there pig hunting every year that go there and stop in. (hey now that's an idea) Any Texas pig hunters?

Where is the bar that has the big horn collection.  I seem to remember it being down in Texas
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's nothin in Huntsville except Death Row.
View Quote

And the very reason I wanted to stop.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to go about 100 miles east of Houston, I would be more than happy to take you to the range to shoot some machine guns.  

Stop in Austin and get yer BBQ at Ruby's, Gualdalupe & 29th (or maybe 26th).  It looks like a dive, but sure is gooooooooood eatin.

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, since there are FIVE air force bases there, I think you should take some time to go to each one, and maybe bring a notepad, and camera. To be sure to get the ENTIRE air force base viewing experiance, take some notes just outside the manin gates, maybe some photos of the places. Ignore those little red and white signs on the fence  [;)]

Try going to the Blue Bonnet Palace in San Antonio, if it is still there.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Buckhorn Museum
318 E Houston St.
San Antonio

Also, outside of San Antonio heading towards Houston, check out El Napalito Mexican Restaurant.  It's on Hwy 90 off of I-10.  I recommend the Bobby's Special.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, and you MUST pee on the wall of the Alamo. Its tradition....

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Stop in Austin for a wheat crust pizza pie at Conan's.  As you keep heading south to San Antonio, stop at the Grist Mill in Gruene for a slice of their pecan pie.

Lots to do in Austin...consider spending a little time there.

- Anarki
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Between Dallas and San Antonio, take a side trip to Llano and eat at Coopers, It's a must do if you want the Texas Bar B Q expierience.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#16]
travel down i-35 from dallas to san antonio is loaded with construction. expect delays. stop in waco and see the texas ranger museum, very worth while stop. hit 6th street in austin if you like to party, san antonio- definitely the river walk. if your interested in a pig hunt i can get you hooked up. guarantte kill. e mail me if you like. enjoy the trip!!

gods country... texas.

Quoted:
Gonna make a trip down there in about two weeks.  Only going to be for 4-5 days.  Road trip once I get there, basically Dallas to San Antonio to Houston and back to Dallas.  Got a few stops along the way.  One in Mansfield and one in Lockhart.  I see it will take me through Waco and Huntsville anything to stop for?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Before you leave Dallas/Forth Worth you must try Angelo's BBQ on White Settlement Road west of Downtown FW.  Angelo's is God's OWN barbeque joint.  Angelo's is the standard by which you can judge any other BBQ you like.

I gladly drive 100 miles to eat at Angelo's and don't need much in the way of a reason.

**Edited to say Dallas BBQ sux.  Don't waste your time.

Also there's another BBQ joint in Llano called Inmon's that's good too.  Couple of d@mn good BBQ joints for a small town.**
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The West End in Dallas is kinda cool. Lots of shops and restaurant and a walk away from the Book Depository where Kennedy got shot. If you're into bar hopping and partying; lower Greenville is the place. For clubbing Deep Ellum (although I have not checked that area out yet)
View Quote

Check out the Sixth Floor Museum:
[url]http://www.jfk.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco.  It's right next to the highway as you drive through.  Lots of firearm/equipment displays and some interesting Ranger history. It's not too large so it won't eat up too much of your road time.  

enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
In San Antonio, hit the Riverwalk and The Alamo.  The Rib House on Old HWY 90 has good BBQ and good fried catfish.  Bob's, on the southeast side is supposed to be good, but I haven't been over there yet.  Since your headed over to the Lockhart area, try Krietz BBQ.  I think the spelling is wrong, but it is pronounced like "kites", with an r after the K. If you're headed to Dallas from Houston, veer off to Corsicana and go to the Collins Street Bakery.  They have awesome fruitcake.  I HATE fruitcake, but I can eat that stuff all day long. Between San Antonio and Houston, detour a few miles south to Shiner and visit the Shiner Brewery.  Take the tour and get a couple of free glasses of Shiner Bock, Blonde, or other varieties they make.  Or skip the tour and just drink a couple of free beers.  They don't care either way.  Joel's BBQ, around the Flatonia exit on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston sucks.  I don't care what their sign says, they suck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I am coming to eat a little but, holy cow guys at 300+ I can eat a bit, now Stokes though he's a little guy.  He does eat fast - I'll put him up against anyone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Llano is also the only place where you can find the mineral "Llanite".  No joke.
View Quote

What is the mineral "Llanite"?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Gonna eat at Kruez Market in Lockhart.  See link above.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#25]
While you're at the Alamo, walk across the alley to the Menger Hotel.  Oldest hotel in America still under the same management.  More cattle deals there than anywhere in the world.
Also their bar is where Teddy Rooseveldt recruited the Rough Riders.  The bartender can show you bullet holes Teddy put there while shooting lit matches out of peoples hands.

Strongly second the Texas Ranger museum at Waco.  Those Rangers really loved engraved guns.  They also have Thompson SMG's, and Bonney and Clides guns.

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
try Krietz BBQ.  I think the spelling is wrong, but it is pronounced like "kites", with an r after the K.
View Quote

That's the whole reason of the trip [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Check out one of two large caverns in central Texas.  I just visited the Longhorn Cavern near Burnet(west of Austin) today!  There is another underground cave on IH 35 near Georgetown (north of Austin).  Tours are about $8 for a guided tour.  Interesting geology in the area.  Good history also.

steady
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have time in Houston, email me and we can shoot .50 BMG...
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, Kreuz Market is one of Texas' Legendary BBQ Joints.  Kind of place you can tell your grandkids about.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I drive through Mansfield to go to work each morning in Arlington.  Anyway, the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco.  70 miles south of Mansfield (roughly) on I-35W.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK, I'm in.

I'd prefer it if we were only gone for 4 days or so, and some of that over a weekend.

Set it up.
View Quote

Wow!  The suspense was killin' me!  Bring back some BBQ sauce!  The hotter the better.  I'll buy a bottle from you.  [flame]  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Oh, and you MUST pee on the wall of the Alamo. Its tradition....
View Quote

For those of you unfamiliar with Ozzy Ozborne...
He was banned from Texas for pulling this stunt.  He peed on the door of the Alamo.  Not sure if he is still banned.  To play a venue in Texas he had to go immediately from the airport to the venue, perform his concert, and go directly back to the airport and LEAVE the state.  Serves that F^cker right!  He is persona non grata around here.

While in Dallas/Ft. Worth goto North Main Barbecue on N. Main Street in Euless.  It's near the DFW airport and open only Friday-Sunday.  Best barbecue I've ever had.

If you are into silhouette smallbore shooting then drop me an email and I'll help you find a match around here.

Drop me an email if you have any questions.  I can help you find anything you want while you're in the big D.

A little DFW traffic etiquette to remember:  DO NOT hang out in the lefthand lane or you WILL BE THE TARGET OF ROADRAGE.  If you plan on driving at least 85 MPH then you are exempt.  You have been given fair warning.  God bless and God speed to you.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Goin' to Texas - what should I see?
View Quote

YOU SHOULD SEE IF YOU CAN OUT OF IT!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Well it's official then gonna leave the Jan 4-5-6 and be back the 10th.  

Live in hell and rent out Texas huh?  That might raise a few eyebrows from the boys there still.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#37]
[b]"Between Dallas and San Antonio, take a side trip to Llano and eat at Coopers[/b]

Yep, Cooper's is excellent, but it's quite a drive out of your way. I might suggest The Salt Lick in Driftwood, just south of Austin instead. They keep some odd hours, however, so you might want to inquire before making the trip.

For breakfast, you can't go wrong with Jim's restaurants (sort of like Denny's but with much better food quality and service), and Taco Cabana is a good bet for fast mexican food any time of the day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#38]
"Texas?! Ain't nothing from Texas but steers and queers.  I don't see any horns on you, so that pretty much narrows it down..."---FMJ
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow a little Texas bashing - sounds like a bad place maybe we shouldn't go.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Texas?! Ain't nothing from Texas but steers and queers.  I don't see any horns on you, so that pretty much narrows it down..."---FMJ
View Quote

I love that someone from California pulled out that quote!

View Quote

Hee hee hee.  Yup, I was messing around on my CB radio on my way to Colorado once.  I heard alot about "California m@ggots and Texas queers."  We get a bum rap.

PS. I got a "License to Carry Concealed Pistol" compliments of the Seattle PD.  Nice state you live in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#42]
You get rapped in the bum with what in CA?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#44]
If you like Mexican food, try stopping in a the local mom and pop joints.  The taste varies in the various regions of Tejas.  Mole, Carne Asada, Fideo,...Can't find anything like it in California.  Mmmm...
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed
drive farther down a bit and take a peek at Hippy Hollow.  Too bad you aren't going in July - it is a nude beach.
[BD]
View Quote

Oh, Dude, the only thing you see a Hippy hollow anymore is  a couple of guys in the bushes doin' themselves or each other.

What's the deal? Doesn't anyone know about Elgin Hot Sausage at THE Southside Market?  The best BBQ in Texas, bar none
Borg
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'll agree with you about Hippie Hollow, but Southside Market?!  They suck Canadian moose wang.  Their meat is flavorless.  Meyer's Elgin sausage is much better.  They're from the OTHER end of Elgin.

Salt Lick beats 'em all, and Kreutz's is arguably better.

-Gloftoe
View Quote

I wouldn't know, I've never eaten Canadian moose wang before.[puke]
Ahhh, Meyer's is still a newbie to the BBQ biz, still learnin how to and haven't got it right yet, they use too much grease/fat. Anybody ever tried Blacks in Lockhart, along the lines of Kreutz's
Borg
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you have time in Houston, email me and we can shoot .50 BMG...
View Quote

Might take you up on that - Looks like we need some info on Houston and from there back up to Dallas.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#49]
If you go to Houston then to Austin, you will go right through Brenham.  Must tour Bluebell Ice Cream Factory Factory - best dang Ice Cream in the Country.  Get Free sample at the end.  If looks like you are going to make it through there on a Sunday, give me a shout before hand, I'll get you to the best BBQ stuffed baked potatoe in the State.  It's a small place but then again these places are where you will find the best eating.  These stuffed potatoes are to die for!

Of course if you go to San Antonio, you will pass right by Shiner, Tx.  Go to the Shiner Bock Brewer, take a tour, free beer at the end.  Now, you want to talk the best dark domestic made beer - SHINER!!!!

Hope you enjoy our state, be carefull, you might not want to leave, well that is until summer hits!

[b]50troll[/b]:
 Would you want to demonstrate your .50 to my SRT?  Maybe let us put a round or two down range?  My team leader has not done anything in his life that would be considered high speed.  He would get a real woody over this!  The best range we got is out to about 380yards.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, everyone agree's.  What you'll be doin' in Texas is eating!  There is no place like it for food.  BBQ, Mexican, Cajun, and Southern.
When in Houston I suggest Good Company BBQ off Shepard near Hwy59, everythings good(look for the exotic stuff of the day like duck or venison).
For Mexican I suggest La Mexicana off Montrose near Westhiemer.  Hands down the best mole in the country.  Or Lupe Tortilla's.  
Wash it all down with Shiner Bock Beer(although I really miss the great margaritas, can't get them like they make in Texas).  Finish with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla and Texas pecan pie.
Oh, the Johnson Space Center (NASA) is well worth the trip.  About 20 minutes south of Downtown (its really in Clearwater).  Houston is HUGE!
When traviling thru central Texas you may go near a cool little german town called Fredricksburg(near san marcos).  Oddly it has 2 presidental museums(Johnson, and Bush), Nimitz museum, cool firearms displays and a row of german resturants. Rock climbers travel there to go to Enchanted Rock park.
San Antonio river walk is a nice tourist trap.
I've never found anything interesting to do in Dallas, except admire the skyline( Houston's is better).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top