Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2001 12:53:50 PM EDT
I need the most recent update for Q3 before I can play multiplayer or before I can hope to install the UrbanTerror mod, Fileplanet sucks and I really don't want to have to pay to download a file that I can likely find for free, without a wait, and likely at faster transfer rates(currently it's a 400 minute wait at fileplanet to download for free).

Heck, I was curious if you might have the file yourself and if so maybe we could meet in the chat room so that you could send it to me by direct file transfer.   That or if you have a link handy where I can hop over and grab it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey why not just download it off ftp.idsoftware.com or www.quake3arena.com ?

Cat aka [AR15.COM]Big Tit Redhead
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
FilePlanet rox0rz...but they're being swamped by all the Counterstrike people that are downloading the latest CS which just went online.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, the other day when I went to www.quake3arena.com  they were kicking me over to Fileplanet.   Maybe they were having troubles or something, but thanks.   Now I can get the damned game up and running :)
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
And DO NOT mention that pile of S**T halflife update patch, it's a total pile of dogs**t!   Damned patch screwed something up with all ATI chipset based graphics cards so that now you can't run in OpenGL without crashing out of the game, thankfully my computer has enough steam to still run in D3D.   Screw CounterStrike, I only have Halflife installed so that I can play the Firearms mod.    But still, Sierra blows chunks.   And I can't tell you how long I've hated fileplanet.   Absolutely everything I've ever wanted to download from there no matter what it's size has had an ungodly wait, I avoid them whenever possible.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a question for some of the hardcore gamers out there.  Where is a good place to get info on such things as graphics cards?

maybe some of you can help me out, keep in mind, I'm not an expert nor do I plan on spending alot of dough on upgrading, but I do enjoy playing some games every once in a while.

I have a relatively old computer, a PII 450, with 256 RAM, and I'm running an old Voodoo3 2000, video card.  I haven't had much problems, but I wanted to see if I can upgrade (inexpensively) for some of the newer games coming out.

So my questions:
Am I wasting my time with upgrades?  I'm not buying a new computer now, so is it possible to get ANY more performance out of my current system???  I just doubled the RAM to 256, and saw no improvement.

What sort of improvement will I get from upgrading to a newer graphics card?  Will it be worth the money?

So if I do upgrade to a new card (I want to spend under $100) what do you suggest?  Obviously nothing with all the bells and whistles, but just pure bang for the buck in performance.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Fileplanet totally sucks now.
HKocher, I would look around for an older nvidia Geforce card.  Problem with the newer cards is that your CPU is a bottleneck not able to let the video card live up to its potential but if you can find a better nvidia card in your price range go for it.  I am running the same processor as you with a voodoo2 SLI config. which is great for HL mods and even Q3F but Tribes2 and the new Unreal2 due out soon forget it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Unreal2 is gonna be cool as hell I think, can't wait for it to be released.   I'll likely get a Geforce3 card when that game comes out so that I can run it at just about the highest video quality possible.

Scary thing is Doom3, I guess it's such a computer killer that even the Geforce 3 only gets around 24fps with the thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
a PII 450, with 256 RAM, and I'm running an old Voodoo3 2000, video card.  
View Quote

The V3 is about on par with the PII 450.  If you were to upgrade to a GeForce 3 (like $300!), there would be some improvement, but then the CPU would be the bottleneck slowing you down.  A GeForce 2 MX card may only be $60, but again, the video card is outclassing the CPU.

Come to think of it, the 1.4 AMD's are like $400 for a system and you could add a nice GF2 or GF3 on that for a total of $500-700.

If it were me, I'd save my money and hold out with the V3 until you go grab that 1.7 AMD Athlon whenever it comes out.

- Robbie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top