Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:26:16 PM EDT
I've owned many Glocks and have never had an issue with them till my current peice. It is a second generation G-17 but has a new slide (barrel is original). mods are titanium guide rod, extended slide release, 3# trigger pull, larger slide lock and adjustable rear sight. The problem is reloads will fail at the base of the shell causing said kaboom about 1 out of every 10 rds or so. You can cycle reloads through the gun without firing them just fine. It fires factory new ammo with no issue. Would a new barrel be in order or is the tolerances of the entire assemblage what results in the problem. Or is this an isssue with all Glocks? None of my other Glocks ever Kaboomed but I do not remember if I ever tried reloads in them. thanks for the help
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:41:55 PM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
apparently you are to reloading what lorcin is to high quality firearms

oh yeah second answer is 87, see sig

there's this thing called a "reloading manual" when used in conjunction with a good powder thrower and a "scale" it should help you not blow things up
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:29:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:30:17 PM EDT
Popcorn. Check
Beer. Check

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:32:27 PM EDT by mayday]
If you're going to use reloads, get a conventional "rifled" replacement barrel from Jarvis or one of many other providers. You will not have any KB's.

KB's are somewhat complex and usually involve non-jacketed bullets, reloaded brass, poorly cleaned Glock barrels and unsupported chambers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:32:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:35:42 PM EDT
A KB every one in ten rounds? What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:36:57 PM EDT
Are you sure your reloads are to spec? Was your measure or scale checked and calibrated before you started loading? I'm not dissing your reloading abilities, but asking you to seriously consider whether your loads are kosher. I've had a round go off in my 1911 with no powder in it once, so I'm not being a hypocrite.

Luckily in my case I recognized the squid load and checked my bore before cycling another round into the chamber, but I digress.

Otherwise i would suspect the slide to barrel fit. Sounds like a long shot given Glock's tolerance control, but none of your other mods seem as though they could contribute to a problem like this.

I'd suggest taking it to a good pistolsmith if you can. Otherwise hopefully someone on here can help you more. I hope for your sake that they will put the Glock bashing aside and help you wiht what appears to be a real safety issue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:38:49 PM EDT
OH yeah, I forgot the jacketed bullet thing. ARe you using non-jacketed bullets in a stock bbl?

Don't do that...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:41:14 PM EDT
hold on a second.. are u telling me that i shouldent just dip the case in the powder and stick a bullet in it?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:42:42 PM EDT
The reloaded brass thing also get a bell ringing in my belfry. Perhaps Glocks aren't kind to brass. If you are using brass that has already been fired in this gun and its headspacing or whatever is not quite kosher you may be stressing the brass or causing case head separation to begin.

Then when you reload it, the same flaw in the pistol's chambering or lockup finishes the job and finishes off the case!

This is a sucky answer probably, but if you are gonna use the stock barrel I would suggest virgin brass and jacketed bullets.

Are you loading hot? Are you checking for pressure signs? How many times has the subject brass been reloaded?

WE need more info!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:51:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:54:04 PM EDT by JFP]
a little more info is in order:
I do not reload.
After the first Kaboom I took it to a Glock smith along with the shell. He inspected the gun and at first thought everything was in order but upon further insp he found a tiny crack at the rear of the slide. I shipped the gun to Glock with a letter from the smith about the situation. They installed the aforementioned new slide and declared it worthy.
I take the gun to the Waco shoot and try more reloads (I had purchased several hundred rds sometime earlier and figured I'd be able to expend them) It Kabooms again. The range officer inspects the gun and recommends no reloaads and I comply.
Today I go to Alpine and load up a mag full of Wolf and shoot it no prob. I then open up a "new" box of S&B and attempt to shoot another dozen rds at which time it Kabooms again. The range officer comes over and decides to look at my "new" box of ammo and low and behold I have unknowingly purchased reloads packaged as new.
sorry 'bout the incomplete info...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:54:57 PM EDT by fxntime]
I had problems too. I put 5 grains of powder in the case with a tweezer and stuck a bullet on top, they kept getting stuck in the BBL. I think the BBL has a rough spot or something. It's a real PITA to grab one grain at a time with the tweezers as they are so small.

Oh, and any SOB that packages reloads in a manufacturer box without somehow marking it as reloaded ammo is a farkin icehole. I would buy NO ammo there EVER.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JFP:
I do not reload.
After the first Kaboom I took it to a Glock smith along with the shell. He inspected the gun and at first thought everything was in order but upon further insp he found a tiny crack at the rear of the slide. I shipped the gun to Glock with a letter from the smith about the situation. They installed the aforementioned new slide and declared it worthy.
I take the gun to the Waco shoot and try more reloads (I had purchased several hundred rds sometime earlier and figured I'd be able to expend them) It Kabooms again. The range officer inspects the gun and recommends no reloaads and I comply.
Today I go to Alpine and load up a mag full of Wolf and shoot it no prob. I then open up a "new" box of S&B and attempt to shoot another dozen rds at which time it Kabooms again. The range officer comes over and decides to look at my "new" box of ammo and low and behold I have unknowingly purchased reloads packaged as new.

Take it back to the smith and have him look it over again. Something is not right with the barrel or something. It's too much of a coincidence that you would fail your slide again like that without some underlying problem causing it.

Responsibly assembled reloads are every bit as safe as factory loads, but I would NEVER buy reloads unless the guy making them tested them in MY gun as he developed them.

Load your own or go factory. It's safer and smarter.

OH, and go find the guy who sold you the S&B's and ask him if he enjoys being sued!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:01:18 PM EDT
I don't think you understand the whole "kB" thing.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:04:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MEI2757935:

what do you mean?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:04:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By the_great_snag:

I do not reload.

Take it back to the smith and have him look it over again. Something is not right with the barrel or something. It's too much of a coincidence that you would fail your slide again like that without some underlying problem causing it.

Responsibly assembled reloads are every bit as safe as factory loads, but I would NEVER buy reloads unless the guy making them tested them in MY gun as he developed them.

Load your own or go factory. It's safer and smarter.

OH, and go find the guy who sold you the S&B's and ask him if he enjoys being sued!

+1 Kick him real hard in the nuts first.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:24 PM EDT
My 17 has fired over 3k of my reloaded ammo. No problems.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:08:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:

Yeah +1

What he said ^
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:11:20 PM EDT

I don't want to hijack, but what bullets do you load.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:13:15 PM EDT

what do you mean?

A real "Kb" blows your gun apart. The mag blows open, the rounds blow out the bottom of the mag, and the slide, barrel, and frame are typical toast.

What exactly is happening when you say "kaboom" ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:15:49 PM EDT by MEI2757935]

what do you mean?

Can someone please post this guy a picture of a "kb"?

Nevermind. Go here instead.

kaBoom!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:15:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Maxxx:

I don't want to hijack, but what bullets do you load.

I shoot 165 berry's tmj
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:15:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

That is some funny shit right there. I don't care who you are.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:16:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:

That is some funny shit right there. I don't care who you are.

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:16:36 PM EDT
Time for a Bar Sto barrel before you lose some fingers and an eyeball.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:20:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:

what do you mean?

A real "Kb" blows your gun apart. The mag blows open, the rounds blow out the bottom of the mag, and the slide, barrel, and frame are typical toast.

What exactly is happening when you say "kaboom" ?

sometimes its hard to get an idea across on the internet, my Kaboom is simply a shell failing (splitting apart) at its base when fired typically blowing the mag out of the well and leaving the shooter with minor powder burns...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:21:12 PM EDT
Well, that's a case head failure skippy. Not a kaboom.

G
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:21:48 PM EDT
you are experiencing case failures, not a true "kaboom" I'm betting they are just overcharged or overused brass
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:22:16 PM EDT
sounds like what he is talking about is not a catasrophic failure but a case head seperation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:23:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DnPRK:

this is what I'm asking, will a barrel solve this problem? I have never knowingly fired reloads since I was originally informed it was not a good idea. Also, will this situation eventually lead to factory new loads having a prob?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:27:02 PM EDT by FALARAK]

sometimes its hard to get an idea across on the internet, my Kaboom is simply a shell failing (splitting apart) at its base when fired typically blowing the mag out of the well and leaving the shooter with minor powder burns...

Well, that is a mini kaboom (case head failure) I guess. And not good. When brass fails... it is either a failure of the barrel, overpressure, or bad brass.

Aint liukely you are going to see that much bad brass.

I dont know the source of your "reloads" but that is the first thing I suspect.

However..... since your slide already cracked once... I also really suspect your barrel. I would take the whole thing and send it back to glock, along with some of those rounds (brass) that have failed.

Something aint right. And for a 9mm Glock, that is FAR from normal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:23:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glock23carry:
Well, that's a case head failure skippy. Not a kaboom.

G

my bad, wrong teminology....
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:26:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:28:28 PM EDT by FALARAK]

this is what I'm asking, will a barrel solve this problem? I have never knowingly fired reloads since I was originally informed it was not a good idea. Also, will this situation eventually lead to factory new loads having a prob?

Reloads are no different than factory ammo. They are either in spec, or they arent. There is nothing inherent to reloads that is bad for glocks, or any pistol. It is just that reloaded ammo is up to the QC of the reloader, not a major manufacturer with quality control standards. I reload all my own .45ACP.... but I know the exact bullet weight, load, and seating depth of every round, and I check every round with a case gauge. If you are buying quality commercially reloaded ammo, that should be fine, as long is it is copper jacketed, and not exposed lead. But if you dont know the quality of the reloader.... and their reputation, you are taking your life in your own hands.

Again, your issue is either suspect reloads (overpressure) or a defective barrel (replacement required)

If you barrel is damaged, and your slide was previously damaged.... again, I would sent the enitre thing back to glock.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:26:37 PM EDT

if you are not having trouble with factory ammo I wouldnt waste my time on a new barrel. I'm betting that the only problem was the reloaded ammo itself, your pistol is certainly fine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:27:13 PM EDT

Well, that is a mini kaboom I guess. And not good. When brass fails... lit is either a failure of the barrel, overpressure, or bad brass.

Aint liukely you are going to see that much bad brass.

I dont know the source of your "reloads" but that is the first thing I suspect.

However..... since your slide already cracked once... I also really suspect your barrel. I would take the whole thing and send it back to glock, along with some of those rounds (brass) that have failed.

Something aint right. And for a 9mm Glock, that is FAR from normal.

crack was at the left hand lower rear back side of the slide. Smith said he though this was preventing the slide from going completely into battery causing said failure.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:29:39 PM EDT

[If you barrel is damaged, and your slide was previously damaged.... again, I would sent the enitre thing back to glock.

when I sent it back to them with the explanation would they not have checked out the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:46:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:47:43 PM EDT by DnPRK]
Glock barrels do not have fully supported chambers. Sending it back to Glock two dozen times will not change that fact. If you want a fully supported barrel and no more case head failures, you need a non-Glock manufactured barrel (thats what Bar Sto does for a living).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:49:39 PM EDT by TheRedHorseman]

Glock barrels do not have fully supported chambers. Sending it back to Glock two dozen times will not change that fact. If you want a fully supported barrel and no more case head failures, you need a non-Glock manufactured barrel (thats what Bar Sto does for a living).

all the support in the world isnt going to help overcharged reloads wth weakened cases.

edit: just like hillary clintons saggy tits
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:53:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:54:30 PM EDT by FALARAK]

Funny how the other 80,000,000,000 Glock factory 9mm barrels out that dont have this problem?

True, a glock barrel does not have a fully supported chamber. I think that dead horse has been kicked for a long time. Doesn't change the fact that his slide broke, and he continously has case head failures. It is either bad ammo, or a defective barrel. Putting bad ammo in a barstow and you can ask for trouble as well. You are treating the symptom, not the problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:09:07 PM EDT
I personally wouldn't do a thing to my factory Glock besides replacing the sights...but if it really bothers you...go get a nice custom barrel for it. Jarvis, KKM, Wilson Combat, and many others out there. They have a more supported chamber than the factory barrels.

However I do pose a question....does anyone out there make a barrel for the Glock 23C? I can find the non-compensated G23 barrel easily. I would want a frame matching barrel also. None of this stainless steel on blue look.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:23:09 AM EDT

I've owned many Glocks and have never had an issue with them till my current peice. It is a second generation G-17 but has a new slide (barrel is original). mods are titanium guide rod, extended slide release, 3# trigger pull, larger slide lock and adjustable rear sight. The problem is reloads will fail at the base of the shell causing said kaboom about 1 out of every 10 rds or so. You can cycle reloads through the gun without firing them just fine. It fires factory new ammo with no issue. Would a new barrel be in order or is the tolerances of the entire assemblage what results in the problem. Or is this an isssue with all Glocks? None of my other Glocks ever Kaboomed but I do not remember if I ever tried reloads in them. thanks for the help

You have stated your own problem. Reloads fail, factory new ammunition works fine. Solution: Don't shoot reloads.

The case failures described here are not a "Glock induced" issue. They are an ammunition induced issue.

If a reputable gunsmith tells you there is a function problem, (you said the slide wasn't locking up) look at those things that affect function. The aftermarket guide rod might be an issue. Try replacing all the aftermarket stuff on your gun with factory parts. Glocks run best stock.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:56:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 5:01:37 AM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:57:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:37:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 7:40:11 AM EDT by JFP]

Originally Posted By Lancelot:

You have stated your own problem. Reloads fail, factory new ammunition works fine. Solution: Don't shoot reloads.

The case failures described here are not a "Glock induced" issue. They are an ammunition induced issue.

If a reputable gunsmith tells you there is a function problem, (you said the slide wasn't locking up) look at those things that affect function. The aftermarket guide rod might be an issue. Try replacing all the aftermarket stuff on your gun with factory parts. Glocks run best stock.

One of my questions was "will this eventually lead to issues with factory ammo"?

I further stated that I have not knowingly fired reloads since I was told it was not a good idea.

The smith said he thought that the gun looked as if it were dropped with the slide locked back causing the crack. He then stated that it may not always go completely closed. Cycling rounds through the gun without firing them showed no issue.

The gun began this issue before the mods were installed. (when the gun came back from Glock I assumed it was ok and modded it)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:39:43 AM EDT
Check the manual.

Relaods are a No-No
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 7:55:47 AM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 8:00:46 AM EDT by Dolomite]
Even though I'm typing this post with stubs at the end of my arms, I've gotten my Glocks to stop exploding once every ten rounds by using this great new product:

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:01:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

Originally Posted By Lennster:
Check the manual.

Relaods are a No-No

no lead cast bullets are a nono in glock poly barrells. EVERY manufacturer will not cover reloads due to unknown quality of manufacture. They are not a no-no for any reason other than warranty issues.

exactly, I shoot fmj reloads through my "uber high pressure prone to failure non fully supported .40 s&w kaboominator" glock almost exclusively with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:05:27 AM EDT

if you are not having trouble with factory ammo I wouldnt waste my time on a new barrel. I'm betting that the only problem was the reloaded ammo itself, your pistol is certainly fine.

Good advice. How much are you saving reloading 9mm, anyway? New ammo can be purchased for as low as .10 per round.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:05:42 AM EDT
Wolf Shooter Andrew says, if your Glock shot Wolf fine and w/o problems, continue to shoot it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top