Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 3:03:06 PM EDT
In the 2006 Glock Annual, there were some stories about Glocks with hand-drawn illustrations to go with them. One story talked about a LEO who took a 75 yd shot with a Glock and hit center mass on a crazy guy going on a rampage with a M1 Garand and "Teflon Coated" bullets

I thought i read that teflon coated bullets was just some hollyweird BS. Heck, in Stargate SG-1, Season 5 Episode 18, "The Warrior", Carter demonstrates to the Jaf'fa that the P90 uses teflon coated ordnance.

Now since I read the story in the Glock Annual, published by Glock, should I assume it is real?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I read that in the Glock annual also, and I thought what is this bullshit?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
They are armor piercing  bullets.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It's always amazed me that Glock can put all that effort into having their own magazine but their website sucks so bad.  I'm not that amazed any more, doesn't seem like it was all that much effort.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A good coat of Pam is more effective.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Was it a Glock 7 , made of porcellin that can go through a metal detector?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm fairly confident that teflon coated bullets do exist.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]
KTW made Teflon coated bullets.

Various web sites have various information on them.

These were the origin of the "cop killer" bullets.

Some people think the Black Talon bullets which were made by Winchester
were Teflon coated, but they are wrong.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Teflon coating for longer barrel life and more reliable feeding of the weapon.

Oh, and also for movies like Ronin, for Hollywood to spout their ignorance about firearms.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A good coat of Pam is more effective.

On soft armor, not engine blocks
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have teflon coated cookwear, never considered it ordnance though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The KTW round was a sintered(?) steel flat nose bullet designed for punching through car doors and windows. KTW is the last initials of the 3 older cops who came up with it. They didn't think LRN bullets bouncing off car windows was  good thing.

The bullet had a flat nose which had a coating of Teflon on it. This was the sticky teflon found on the ends of canes and such. This further helped reduce the likelihood  the round would ricochet off.

They only sold the round to some police departments and the military. IIRC two cops were later killed with that round, both shot in the head with their own guns.

The round could penetrate some types of body armor better than "normal" handgun rounds.

The media/politicians made a big deal about it, and now "teflon coated" bullets are supposedly able to slip between the fibers of body armor. ie "Cop Killers".  Total BS.

Nyclads (nylon coated soft lead hollow points) have been misidentified as Teflon coated cop killers.

I strongly suspect that the rifle rounds were really Molybdenum coated rounds, designed to reduce resistance in the rifle barrel and reduce wear.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The KTW round was a sintered(?) steel flat nose bullet designed for punching through car doors and windows. KTW is the last initials of the 3 older cops who came up with it. They didn't think LRN bullets bouncing off car windows was  good thing.

The bullet had a flat nose which had a coating of Teflon on it. This was the sticky teflon found on the ends of canes and such. This further helped reduce the likelihood  the round would ricochet off.

They only sold the round to some police departments and the military. IIRC two cops were later killed with that round, both shot in the head with their own guns.

The round could penetrate some types of body armor better than "normal" handgun rounds.

The media/politicians made a big deal about it, and now "teflon coated" bullets are supposedly able to slip between the fibers of body armor. ie "Cop Killers".  Total BS.

Nyclads (nylon coated soft lead hollow points) have been misidentified as Teflon coated cop killers.

I strongly suspect that the rifle rounds were really Molybdenum coated rounds, designed to reduce resistance in the rifle barrel and reduce wear.

mostly right BUT. Back in the 60's a cop wanted to make a bullet better at penetrating car windshields etc. So he made a projectile out of solid STEEL! Guess what happens when you fire a bullet made out of steel through a rifled barrel?
it will basically strip the rifiling in 10 shots giving you a nice musket. So the solution was to coat the bullet with a teflon spray to make it easier to slide down the barrel.(same as molybdenium) That is all Teflon does. It does not allow easier penetration of kevlar jackets. (the KWT bullet CAN, only because it is steel not due to the teflon) nor does it "stick" to prevent ricochet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad still believes that cop killer bullet bs and thinks the NRA was wrong on it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Did anyone else notice Julie Goloski on the back cover of the Glock Annual?

When I asked Julie what she likes about Glocks, she said "Glocks always run. I used to shoot on the US Army Action Pistol Team... ...and learned when you've got a high-tech piece of machinery like a custom 1911, you're going to eventually have problems. With the Glock, I know the gun is going to perform. So whether or not I do well is totally on me, not the equipment"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top