Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:16:05 AM EDT
So I am at a gun range I visit maybe once per year.... and there is a new sign out front - no weapons allowed in the building (where they take your money)

Apparently someone came in with a glock, in the glock factory case. When he dropped his range bag on the floor, the force of the glock moving inside the case, made the trigger get pulled by the part of the case that goes inside the trigger guard.

Nobody was hurt, but they wont allow weapons inside anymore because of this.

What do you guys think of this story? I took a look at all my glock cases, and there is no way possible a factory glock case can allow this - there is no room for movement at all.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:19:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 7:21:18 AM EDT by Silver_Surfer]
shit happens! If true.....LAWSUIT!!!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:21:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:22:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:

I doubt it - there is a big sign inside all Glock cases that says "DO NOT STORE LOADED PISTOL"

I just dont see how it is technically possible. Seems like there is more BS than facts surrounding all "gun stories".
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:23:50 AM EDT
BS!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:46 AM EDT
Well the first problem is on a Glock factory case there is NOTHING that goes inside the trigger guard.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:26:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 7:28:01 AM EDT by markm]

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
Well the first problem is on a Glock factory case there is NOTHING that goes inside the trigger guard.

nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/044320000/44320837/pix3673144562.jpg

He's talking about the OLD CASES, Cleatus. There's a post that goes thru the trigger area. Of course you can't get the case closed unless the trigger is all the way rearward, IIRC.

So the story doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:27:26 AM EDT

WOW They changed the design! The older cases had something in the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:29:50 AM EDT
the old cases looked like tupperware an did have a tube that went in the trigger guard.
if you put a glock 19 or a mini block in an older large frame glock case it may go off.
but i think its BS.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:41 AM EDT
Worse, the glock ould have gone Ka-Boom.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:34:05 AM EDT

why the hell would anyone have a loaded weapon inside a case?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:36:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:
There's a post that goes thru the trigger area. Of course you can't get the case closed unless the trigger is all the way rearward, IIRC.

Incorrect - the trigger does not have to be pulled to get it in the case.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:37:20 AM EDT

He's talking about the OLD CASES, Cleatus. There's a post that goes thru the trigger area. Of course you can't get the case closed unless the trigger is all the way rearward, IIRC.

Easy there Jethro...I only have a couple Gen 1 Glocks and haven't pulled them out in awhile.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:38:04 AM EDT

I believe the older style tupperware case's do in fact have a plastic knob that goes inside the trigger guard.

That said why was the gun hot. I mean i am all for carrying with one in the chamber but putting a gun in the storage case like that leads me to believe thats how he stored his gun. This guy was an idiot and idiots make bad things happen for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:38:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hk940:
the old cases looked like tupperware an did have a tube that went in the trigger guard.
if you put a glock 19 or a mini block in an older large frame glock case it may go off.
but i think its BS.

Oh helll...I remember those now that you describe them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:42:41 AM EDT
The original Glock cases had this problem.

The owner/operator of two ranges (one in the DFW area, the other close to Austin) shot himself while warning a customer about this and demonstrating how it could happen. The Glock was loaded in the case and discharged.

The current Clock cases do not have this problem.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:43:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:

There's a post that goes thru the trigger area. Of course you can't get the case closed unless the trigger is all the way rearward, IIRC.

Incorrect - the trigger does not have to be pulled to get it in the case.

+1

But there's a retainer in front of the grip that prevents the pistol from moving forward and "pulling" the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:44:20 AM EDT
I say BS.

The older case for my Glock has that tube that fits inside the trigger, but if I recall correctly, it also has a molded piece of plastic that conforms to the front of the grip to prevent forward/rearward movement. Add to that the heavier trigger pull of a Glock (compared to a single action pistol) a number of extraordinary ordinary events in the right sequence for this to happen.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:46:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HBruns:
The original Glock cases had this problem.

The owner/operator of two ranges (one in the DFW area, the other close to Austin) shot himself while warning a customer about this and demonstrating how it could happen. The Glock was loaded in the case and discharged.

The current Clock cases do not have this problem.

smart.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:47:45 AM EDT

So I am at a gun range I visit maybe once per year

So how do you shoot at a gun range that doesn't allow guns?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:50:26 AM EDT
Here is the deal about the OLD glock box.

The concept at Glock was a loaded gun should never be stored in their box. So little protusions were molded into the center post which made it so the pistol could not be placed in the box with the trigger forward.

The idea was to force the owner to clear the weapon before boxing the gun. Clear weapon, press trigger, and box the gun. That way it was known the boxed gun was unloaded and safe.

Problem... someone did not want to box an unloaded pistol, so when they put the pistol in the box, they pushed and wiggled to make it fit. It fit OK... it pressed the trigger fully rearward and the pistol discharged. Sometime after that Glock changed the design of their tupperware boxes to only have the post in the middle where the pistol could be boxed trigger forward or trigger rearward.

Before the bunch starts attacking my post let me add this.

I am a Glock trained transition instructor and I have been through the armorers course for certification and recertification more times than I have kept count.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:52:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 8:41:33 AM EDT by fight4yourrights]
I don't see HOW this could happen with a Glock 17 - the box isn't large enough to allow that much movement.

YES, this weapon is LOADED maybe not

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:06:24 AM EDT
I put a G19 in a G17 box, still cant move the pistol at all. Something stinks....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:08:58 AM EDT
i know this story can't be true because all i've ever heard from any glock owner is that glock ND's or AD's don't exist.

(ducking)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:14:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
I don't see HOW this could happen with a Glock 17 - the box isn't large enough to allow that much movement.

YES, this weapon is LOADED

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/fight4yourrights/Misc/GlockBox001Medium.jpg

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/fight4yourrights/Misc/GlockBox002Medium.jpg

Even so, they should really put a label in the case warning you not to store a loaded gun in it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:22:17 AM EDT

YES, this weapon is LOADED

Are you sure? Trigger looks pulled?

I'm not disputing that a loaded weapon would fit (looks like enough room).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:31:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 8:31:32 AM EDT by triburst1]
Imagine that, another GLOCK "AD" comes back to human stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:38:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Even so, they should really put a label in the case warning you not to store a loaded gun in it.

There is a pretty big label in the there stating "Do Not Store Loaded Pistol"
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:41:59 AM EDT

Are you sure? Trigger looks pulled?

I'm not disputing that a loaded weapon would fit (looks like enough room).

I think you are right.

I'm not using this gun anymore, so it's just in storage
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:42:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:
Imagine that, another GLOCK "AD" comes back to human stupidity.

I think you will find almost all ADs are actually NDs caused by human error.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:44:31 AM EDT

So I am at a gun range I visit maybe once per year.... and there is a new sign out front - no weapons allowed in the building (where they take your money)

Apparently someone came in with a glock, in the glock factory case. When he dropped his range bag on the floor, the force of the glock moving inside the case, made the trigger get pulled by the part of the case that goes inside the trigger guard.

What do you guys think of this story? I took a look at all my glock cases, and there is no way possible a factory glock case can allow this - there is no room for movement at all.

At least that bastard didn't go full-auto and spin around on the floor.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:46:12 AM EDT
Here ya go, cocked.

I can NOT push the gun forward enough to move the trigger any. There's the big wall that prevents movement on my box

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:57:28 AM EDT
Maybe, and this is a long shot, he had rounded off the trigger guard like some do. That would allow the pistol to slip over the little wall and the trigger to be pulled.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:59:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheFreepster:
Maybe, and this is a long shot, he had rounded off the trigger guard like some do. That would allow the pistol to slip over the little wall and the trigger to be pulled.

Dont think so. The grip would stop any forward movement - that little lip doesnt really do anything.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:00:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:

I doubt it - there is a big sign inside all Glock cases that says "DO NOT STORE LOADED PISTOL"

I just dont see how it is technically possible. Seems like there is more BS than facts surrounding all "gun stories".

+1.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:06:53 AM EDT
I am the only one professional enough to speak about this in this poat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 9:11:15 AM EDT by FALARAK]

Originally Posted By slaughter:
I am the only one professional enough to speak about this in this poat .

But not professional enough to spell the word "post" ?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:11:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 11:07:07 AM EDT by Tomislav]
People try to explain away their stupid mistakes using any ridiculous excuse they can think of. My ass it just automagically AD'd from being dropped in its case.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:26:16 AM EDT
Maybe the Glock got impatient and didn't want to wait until it actually get out on the range before it Kaboomed!

Just a thought.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:44:04 AM EDT
Maybe he just lit the fuse before he put it in the box.

(Damm, where's that pic of the Glock with a fuse?)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:03:49 AM EDT

That's the new style, not the original "tactical tupperware".
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:32:40 AM EDT
HOw fucking hard would it be for Glock to just put a small Walther ppk or baretta type safety on the slide? Ive even seen an after market type 1911 safety, but you have to cut up the frame to install it. I like the GLock for a lot of reasons but it's lack of a manual safety is just stupid.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:36:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By t-stox:
HOw fucking hard would it be for Glock to just put a small Walther ppk or baretta type safety on the slide? Ive even seen an after market type 1911 safety, but you have to cut up the frame to install it. I like the GLock for a lot of reasons but it's lack of a manual safety is just stupid.

Where is the manual safety on a revolver?

On a Sig?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:37:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By t-stox:

Yeah, and every revolver should require a safety too.

Maybe we should do it so there are 2 keys that need to be turned, just like launching a nuke, before the gun can fire.

Or maybe people shouldn't do stupid things with the gun, then blame the gun.

Funny things with Glocks, when they are loaded, and the trigger is pulled, they go off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:53:23 AM EDT
A friend of mine shot himself in the hand with his Glock. Dropped it, reached down to grab it, put one hand infront of the barrel, and the other came through and pulled the trigger.... he has nine fingers now...

I agree with the decision. Let it stand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:16:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mace:
Maybe he just lit the fuse before he put it in the box.

(Damm, where's that pic of the Glock with a fuse?)

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:23:51 PM EDT
I saw that too, must have out to Gibson's??
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:39:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigthicket:
I saw that too, must have out to Gibson's??

Yessir. They do get the strangest shooters out there. I really have to watch others while I am there. Because they are one of the FEW ranges that allow FMJ ammo, you get a lot of young EBR shooters.... who love the cool factor and dont have a lot of weapons safety training.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:40:38 PM EDT
I always figured that a safety inside the trigger guard wasn't that safe myself as a snag on a holster, a stick, or whatever can still make the gun fire. A grip safety on the other hand requires two points of contact, a condition that is much less likely to happen accidently.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:42:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I think when people pop off a round because they screwed up they tend to claim that the case did it, or the cat knocked the gun off the counter, or whatever.

Yep.
Uh...uhh....it was Bush's fault!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:47:03 PM EDT

YES, this weapon is LOADED maybe not

These images are not of the earliest Glock factory case.
I'll post some images of the case I have. I don't think it has the molded ridge to locate the front of hte pistol - not sure..... its been a few years since I have used the original factory case.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top