Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:41:33 PM EDT
I am considering getting one of these pistols. Here is what I see as the key differences:

Glock 43 - most expensive, lowest capacity, shortest grip, greatest overall length, widest, lightest. 

Springfield XDS - midrange price, 7 round mag and 8 round extended mag, significantly heavier than the Glock, significantly lighter than the Ruger. 

Ruger LC9s - lowest price, 7 and 9 round mags, heaviest, external manual safety on the base model, no external manual safety on the pro model...external safety being a huge drawback. 

I am leaning towards the XDS, however I have always been a fan of Glocks and their reliability. But, I am also an XD fan and I have nothing but good things to say about their reliability. What is your take?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig P938.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig P938.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Not considering the S&W shield?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Glock. Just do it, join GSSF for two years and get a coupon. Winning.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock is last.

XDS is not fun to shoot...plus its an xds.

The lc9s PRO is what you seek....great trigger, lots of product support, decent capacity, and mine has been 100% reliable.

Get an extended grip 9rd magazine, and never look back!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Walther PPS M2

I have a 43 and it's a great little gun. I was underwhelmed by the Ruger. I will never own an XD. The PPS M2 is amazing IMO, shoots like a much bigger gun
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock 43
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I passionately hate XDs all types for their shit ergonomics. That depends on the person, obviously.

Never used the Ruger.

I love my 43. It handles very well with the pinky-rest magazine, and the Tangodown +2 extensions look and feel almost factory, so the capacity isn't an issue. When I carry the 43, it's with the pinky mag in it and an 8 round reload.

It may be dimensionall bigger than the ruger, but it conceals very well due to a general "smoothness" and lack of pointy sharp edges sticking out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
XDS has 9 round mags, they just don't come in the box. I don't really notice a size difference between the 8 and 9 round mag in my pocket. Having said that, I've never shot the 43 or the LC9s, so I couldn't tell you which is the better gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Carry my XDS 9 everyday. Have not had any failures that were not caused by myself. I'm happy with it.
Mine is pre-trigger recall with Springfield's reworked trigger job done to it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]
XDs 45 for knockdown power

I'll wait for the shit storm I have created.
I'd like to get an XDs 9 3.3 instead of my XDs 45 4.0
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Not on the list, but a non-safety Shield. Prices have dropped, and I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Because of its short height, I'd go with the G43. The most concealable one for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]
My experiance with the Ruger LC380 (not an LC9, I know, but they're basically the exact same thing besides caliber) has been... lackluster. The magazine release is, in my opinion, utter shit. I can't stand it. Its too small, magazines aren't drop-free, and its finicky as hell part of which is likely due to the stupid magazine disconnect. The trigger pull is long and heavy, worse than a Glocks. Haven't had any reliability issues with it, I just hate the way it handles.

I would just buy the G43 and be done with it. Theres no bullshit magazine disconnect or manual safety to fuck around with and its... well its a Glock. Its simple and if you know one Glock you know them all. Don't have much to say about the XDS, I don't have any experiance with them. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
XDs 45 for knockdown power

I'll wait for the shit storm I have created.
I'd like to get an XDs 9 3.3 instead of my XDs 45 4.0
View Quote

What is knockdown power?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
My vote would be for whichever you enjoy shooting most and are most comfortable with. I have the XDS in .45acp because only one less round (and a more powerful round to boot) was a no brainer for me.
It can be rather unpleasant to shoot regularly but nothing unmanageable. I'm also not a fan of polymer guns but it fit the bill for what I wanted/needed. I shot several different guns similar and preferred the XDS.
I hear lots of good things about the Shields, however. Boils down to trying each of them and deciding what works best for you.

Also, the six round mags (at least for .45acp) are a perfect fit ergonomically. 5 rounder is too short and the 7 is too long. But again, personal preference.

Good luck in your search 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]
The Glock 43 got my vote. My XDS45 was reliable when clean ie <75 rounds fired. The grip of the XDS was a bit hard on the hand when shooting 100+ rounds.

The Glock 43 was a range rental and worked as well as every other Glock I own. I have zero personal experience with the Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#18]
^ This 

Seriously guy, that "knockdown power" stuff is BS. People have getting killed with 9mm weapons of all kinds for decades. With modern hollow points, some of which can expand to .650 to .700 inches, it works just fine. Stop spreading nonsense buzzwords that mean nothing. 

EDIT: oops, seems I missed the quote button, was replying to XMM and Narwhals. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Glock is last.

The lc9s PRO is what you seek....great trigger, lots of product support, decent capacity, and mine has been 100% reliable.

View Quote

What the Hell are you talking about?  I have an XDS and it is easy/great to shoot.  Are your hands made out of glass?  

Op, just go shoot each one and pick whichever feels the best for you.  Honestly, that is the only way to pick a gun that is right for you, everyone is different.  I would never swear off a gun based on someone else's opinion of it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Glock 43
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My experiance with the Ruger LC380 (not an LC9, I know, but they're basically the exact same thing besides caliber) has been... lackluster. The magazine release is, in my opinion, utter shit. I can't stand it. Its too small, magazines aren't drop-free, and its finicky as hell part of which is likely due to the stupid magazine disconnect. The trigger pull is long and heavy, worse than a Glocks. Haven't had any reliability issues with it, I just hate the way it handles.

I would just buy the G43 and be done with it. Theres no bullshit magazine disconnect or manual safety to fuck around with and its... well its a Glock. Its simple and if you know one Glock you know them all. Don't have much to say about the XDS, I don't have any experiance with them. 
View Quote
They're not at all the SE thing, considering the LC9 isn't even manufactured anymore.

Now the new LC9s is striker fired with a better trigger than anything on that list, and can come without a mag safety or manual safety. And no piss poor design that Glock sharted out with the G43. A fucking disaster of capacity to size ratio which brings into question what intern designed it, considering they had the opportunity to blueprint an entirely new magazine.

But Glack teh bes #1
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Love my G43. Find myself carrying it more often than my G19.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What is knockdown power?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
^ This 

Seriously guy, that "knockdown power" stuff is BS. People have getting killed with 9mm weapons of all kinds for decades. With modern hollow points, some of which can expand to .650 to .700 inches, it works just fine. Stop spreading nonsense buzzwords that mean nothing. 

EDIT: oops, seems I missed the quote button, was replying to XMM and Narwhals. 
View Quote

While I don't totally buy into knockdown power, there is a significant difference between 230grs and 147grns.  When the velocity isn't improving into rifle ranges, yea I believe there is a difference. 

So while some people say knockdown power is phantom, I suggest almost 100grns in weight difference(more for light in caliber) makes a difference.  

But you shoot what you like.  I'll shoot what I like.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll second the PPS M2.  The bore axis seems a little higher than the Glock but it really is a sweet shooting gun and is very concealable.

As a bonus the law enforcement version comes with three magazines (6, 7, & 8 round) and is about $40 less than the Glock.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope not because my Shield was the worst handgun I ever owned and I couldn't wait to get rid of it!  Horrible trigger and horrible sights.  Replacing both would have cost more than I got for the gun used.  

I still have my 43 even though my wife claimed it as her own, and I am currently looking for something to replace my P3AT as a pocket carry gun.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Friends don't let friends XD.

That being said, consider the G26.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#29]
G43 or Sheild, both don't feel that far off from thier big brothers.

Lc9 works fine but is a bucket of meh.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sig P938.

No.

Go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Rent em, shoot em, buy whichever one you like.  Any one of those would be fine.  I'd put the xds a bit lower based on the grip safety.  No thanks on that feature.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#32]
My Top 3 picks
G43 Slap in a ghost connector, night sights and extended mag plates of choice.  Many base plate options but for a couple: Taran tactical are nice for +1,2 or 3 come with extended spring, and pearce +1 are nice and economical.  Flat triggers are nice too. I have an overwatch precision trigger on the way but the to be truthful the oem one is fine.  
Tied 2nd place
PPS M2 w/NS
Shield 45. Or wait to see if a Shield 9 M2 comes out.

Never had or shot XDS or LC9s so I can't really comment on those but if I was going to go with one or the other I think I would try the LC9s first.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am considering getting one of these pistols. Here is what I see as the key differences:

Glock 43 - most expensive, lowest capacity, shortest grip, greatest overall length, widest, lightest. 

Springfield XDS - midrange price, 7 round mag and 8 round extended mag, significantly heavier than the Glock, significantly lighter than the Ruger. 

Ruger LC9s - lowest price, 7 and 9 round mags, heaviest, external manual safety on the base model, no external manual safety on the pro model...external safety being a huge drawback. 

I am leaning towards the XDS, however I have always been a fan of Glocks and their reliability. But, I am also an XD fan and I have nothing but good things to say about their reliability. What is your take?
View Quote

Areas in bold should make your decision easy. The XDS is the best choice besides the Shield in this category and in my opinion it's not even that close. If you're still not sold check out the Walther PPS M2 as I think that's a serious contender as well. I have an XDS in 9mm and its the most refined single stack carry gun on the market in my opinion. Shield is just as good and is better overall based on price and superior ergonomics, but if you want features and aren't affected by an extra $30 to $50 in price the XDS is a clear winner.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#34]
LC9.  Piece.  Of.  Shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What the Hell are you talking about?  I have an XDS and it is easy/great to shoot.  Are your hands made out of glass?  

Op, just go shoot each one and pick whichever feels the best for you.  Honestly, that is the only way to pick a gun that is right for you, everyone is different.  I would never swear off a gun based on someone else's opinion of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock is last.

Go easy on him. Through evolution and other factors the American males hands are getting more delicate. It's one reason you see a lot of male shooters with gloves now a days. Most men now use their hands for smartphones and paying the jiffy lube guy to change their oil.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I carried an XDs for a few years, it was a great gun, I have nothing bad to say about it. I had the PRP trigger kit and a Talon grip on it and that's all I ever needed. I had a few Sig P238's and 938's, the 238's are great little guns and I still own them, the 938 is IMHO too heavy and I had a lot of ammo feed issues, they are now gone. I have been carrying a G43 with TT +2 extensions and Warren sights for well over a year now and I have never had a single issue. I think it is the best CCW for deep concealment currently on the market and the price isn't bad either.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LC9.  Piece.  Of.  Shit.
View Quote
LC9 =\= LC9s or LC9 Pro
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I carry an xds 4.0 9mm and love it. The grip is just long enough to get my little pinky on the gun. I keep a 9 round mag in my pocket without the spacer. When I go to bed I put a tlr-3 on it. I put night sights on it and bent the grip safety spring a little to improve the trigger. I didn't know it's made in croatia when I ordered it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to have a Glock 43 and a Ruger LC9s.  Both the 43 and LC9s were reliable, but felt cheap and I didn't care for either trigger so I sold both and bought a Sig P938.
I wouldn't recommend either the Ruger or Glock to anyone unless they were adamant about having a cheap striker fire pistol.  I can't comment on the XD-S other than to say I have a
XD mod 2 and if the XD-S's trigger is anything like that, I wouldn't recommend it either.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I carry a Walther PPS M2 but of the choices given I would go with the Ruger. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sig P938.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Xds 45 for me.  But my only other choice at the time was the shield. And i didn't shoot the shield as well as the Xds.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Self admittedly tough to choose other than Glock for me. Anyway, read this on the NRA blog this am
NRA Staff Picks

Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I hope not because my Shield was the worst handgun I ever owned and I couldn't wait to get rid of it!  Horrible trigger and horrible sights.  Replacing both would have cost more than I got for the gun used.  

I still have my 43 even though my wife claimed it as her own, and I am currently looking for something to replace my P3AT as a pocket carry gun.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your shield was worse than your P3AT?

Please tell me more
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top