Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 8:42:58 AM EDT
First: What are the standards for eyes, hearing, and BMI/ht-wt in your state?

Second: What are your feelings on LEO that may have glasses, or a hearing aid (or 2), and/or a bit of extra weight?  How important is all that compared to the quick mind?  Is there too much importance being placed on the "pre-reqs" to get into being a LEO?  What about keeping those standards up over the years (according to age)?  

Just curious.  

Me?  I find it idiotic that there are standards to get in and not standards to keep up.  I think guys like me (contacts, a single inner-ear hearing aid, slightly overweight, and self proclaimed "sharp as a tac") make fine LEO, and in many cases better LEO than some of the LEO jokers who think with their bicepts, have the personality of a cold fish, and no education but have -approved- eye sight, hearing, and BMI standards.  According to the State of Iowa, I am not up to par for being full time "ILEA" certified LEO due to my hearing.  BAH!      

I am a 6yr Sheriff's Reserve Deputy in Iowa, btw.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
My opinion is as long as your corrective measures get you to the point that you can dependebly do the job and pass the physical tests, without special assistance or provisions. If it doesn't affect your ability to do the job like anyone else, then IMO good to go.
The uncorrected vision requirement ticks me off because of advances in optical technology where it doesn't have and affect on your job performance. Personally I'd much rather have an officer wear contacts and correct to 20/15 or 20/20 instead of feeling they need to have one of the laser surguries in order to get hired.

I think the fitness stuff is pretty important and those standards need to be kept up. But, not measured by BMI, measured by performance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top