Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 3:51:42 AM EDT

The thread about using CHL as 2nd idea brought up some interesting differences between states. For the record, it would be interesting to see how each state differs. So for your own state, post the following:

OHIO
Offical Name: Concealed Handgun License (CHL)
Photo on card: Yes
Renew: Every 4 years
Cost: $45
Issued by: County Sheriff

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
In NYS it varies by county, but in general a permit has a photo, cost runs about $130, has no expiration date and is issued by the county judge. Particularly Downstate its a different matter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
MICHIGAN
Cost $105
Renew Every 5 years
Issued by County Clerk

Description of card:
Official Name: Michigan Concealed Pistol License
Photo on left 1/3 of card
Right 2/3 of card information below:
License # box & Check box for "Duplicate"
Check box for "exempt from pistol free zones"
Last Name
Frist name
Middle Name
DOB, SEX, HEIGHT, EYES
Clerk's Signature
Issue Dat, Expire Date

Back of card has your signature and list of pistol free zones, but not worded exactly the same as the actual statute. More of a synopsis.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]
TENNESSEE
Offical Name: Handgun Carry Permit
Cost:    New $115      Renewal $50
Issued by:  Tennessee Department of Safety

Tennessee is a SHALL ISSUE state.

LB
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Indiana just passes a lifetime carry permit and a no-duty-to-retreat law this week!   I love my state!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
TENNESSEE
LB

Note: When this was last revised, the word "Concealed" was dropped from the legislation. It is now a "Carry Permit". Open carry is legal. WOOT!

HKO
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TENNESSEE
LB

Note: When this was last revised, the word "Concealed" was dropped from the legislation. It is now a "Carry Permit". Open carry is legal. WOOT!

HKO

Wasn't open carry always legal in TN?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Indiana just passes a lifetime carry permit and a no-duty-to-retreat law this week!   I love my state!!!

Neener Neener Neener!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.packing.org

Repeated again.   Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.packing.org

Yeah I know but there you've gotta go through the trouble of looking up each state individually. I thought one thread to compare them would be interesting (since most threads about CCW permits typically turn into that anyway)
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the last of the "May-Issue" or discretionary issue states.

You are at the mercy of your local chief LEO.  About half of the counties are effectively Shall-Issue, but with the exception of Orange Co. those are all rural and sparsely populated.

Here in San Diego it is fairly difficult, but I know several people who have them or have in the past.  They all had to demonstrate some kind of "legitimate" need, e.g. carrying large amounts of cash on a job that entails frequenting high-crime areas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
One of the last of the "May-Issue" or discretionary issue states.

You are at the mercy of your local chief LEO.  About half of the counties are effectively Shall-Issue, but with the exception of Orange Co. those are all rural and sparsely populated.

Here in San Diego it is fairly difficult, but I know several people who have them or have in the past.  They all had to demonstrate some kind of "legitimate" need, e.g. carrying large amounts of cash on a job that entails frequenting high-crime areas.

is a permit issued in one county good in another (in real life, not just on paper)  will you get hassled for carrying county to county?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Arizona
Offical Name: Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP)
Photo on card: No
Renew: Every 5 years
Cost: $65
Issued by: AZ Department of Public Safety
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]
OKLAHOMA
Official Name: Concealed Weapon License
Photo on Card: Yes
Renew: Every 5 Years
Cost: $125 (State + Sheriff fees), $85 for Renewal
Issued By: County Sheriff
BD, Sex, Race, Ht, Wt, Hair, Eyes, Type of Pistol(s) Authorized for carry, Lic #, County, Expiration Date, and Current Address on Card.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Georgia:
Georgia Firearms License
$45 for 5 years initially
$25 for 5 year renewal afterwards
Issued by County Probate Judge
Open or concealed carry WITH license

Georgia is a shall issue state with no training requirement

A lot of people, including cops, think open carry is legal without a license here, but if you read the law, it is not legal without the license.  The state AG also agrees with that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Alaska.

NO PERMIT REQUIRED.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Illinois= carry a gun GO TO JAIL! The only people who get a "license" are political dicks in Chicago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top