Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/26/2010 4:29:02 PM EDT
Time to upgrade my phone. I'm liking the Droid so far...any thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:32:04 PM EDT
I've been think about getting one as well, my contract is up in August. I don't have one, but I have fondled one. The only drawback is the keyboard, everything else is pretty sweet. The keyboard, at least me, is way to flat. In fact I think it is so flat that I might not even get it. After all, the main reason I want the phone is because it has an external keyboard
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:38:07 PM EDT
I've only handled one for a few minutes. The ui seemed really busy, with lots of tiny icons that were supposed to mean something.

Jobs is a fascist, but he's a fascist with good taste and a sense of ui.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:42:25 PM EDT
I have the HTC Hero, which utilizes the Android technology. I love it and can sit and play with it for hours. Some apps are better than others, but for the most part alot of useful stuff.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:49:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dep4532:
I have the HTC Hero, which utilizes the Android technology. I love it and can sit and play with it for hours. Some apps are better than others, but for the most part alot of useful stuff.
+1
Love my Hero. Best phone I have ever had. Only complaint, is that I have yet to find a phone carrier with a belt clip that I like.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:50:55 PM EDT
I got mine the day they came out. Overall, I've been pretty happy with mine. It's a solidly built little phone that's served me well so far. The physical keyboard is not great, but you will get used to it. The only drawback I know if is that it will occasionally lose mail settings, and it has to be set up again. A quick Google search will show you I'm not alone in this. I'd say I've had to set it up three or four times now, so I guess you're looking at once a month or so.

Other than that, I give it a thumbs up. It's a pretty kick ass phone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:58:25 PM EDT
The R2's are better than the R4's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:58:56 PM EDT
Happy with mine as well. Was looking into IPhone seriously but my with my Geographical position... I would have to walk 400 Meters left, and do a handstand to get a signal.

Love my Droid.

IPhone needs to dumpAT&T
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:02:19 PM EDT
Pro: it has a physical keyboard
Con: it has a physical keyboard (and its not a Nexus One.)

Its your personal choice. Go try one out and see if the extra $$ for the keyboard is worth it to you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:03:47 PM EDT
Pros...awesome phone and technology.

Cons...unlimited minutes voice + Data plan is a lot of damn money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:04:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:05:52 PM EDT
There haven't been many threads about the Droid recently, have there?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=1018999

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1017566

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=124&t=1011058

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=124&t=1016411

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1015443

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1014867

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1010765

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=951220

I love my Droid. Switched from an iPhone. I consider it an upgrade!

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:14:48 PM EDT
NO...the voice feature..you know, the phone part...SUCKS. It is well known.

Verizon told me to wait a month and get the Google Phone..I forget the fancy marketing name...but it has the Android OS and has NO external keyboard. It uses virtual keyboard. It is the iPhone killer. I would wait for it.

Droid has issues.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:16:35 PM EDT
verizon customer service
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:17:34 PM EDT
PROS - Too many to list.

CONS - None.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:26:45 PM EDT
Con: You are required to have a $20/month data plan tacked on to your service
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:30:04 PM EDT
The bill is the biggest draw back.

Phone does weird shit sometimes.

Sometimes I miss my Blackberry 8830, bu tthose times are rare.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:32:31 PM EDT
I have one and love it. For people that complain about the slide out keyboard just dont use it and use the touch screen
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2010 5:40:27 PM EDT by Hanzerik]
I love my Motorola Droid; it does just about everything including making phone calls. We upgraded earlier this month from LG Env2s with the Verizon buy one, get one free + discounted upgrade. So two Droids for $99 (After a $200 mail-in rebate ).

Pros: Like a handheld computer. Does almost everything a normal computer can do. I have never had any issues with sound quality, call quality, like others have mentioned. Tons of different apps which are easily installed and free. A decent amount of storage space (16Gig), large sharp/clear screen. GPS/Google maps turn by turn voice navigation. Right now I am using it to listen to Mark Levin streaming live using iHeartRadio.

Cons: Battery can drain pretty quick compared to a normal phone. If you use it just for phone and messaging it lasts for a while, but once you start using the GPS, Internet, camera/video, etc, etc...it can drain quickly. Have to get a data plan, which will cost more a month, mine was about a $50 increase on my bill for two data plans.

ETA: like someone mentioned the keyboard. When I first got the phone I was using the physical keyboard, but as time went on I got really good at using the touch screen keyboard. I very rarely slide my phone open to use the physical KB anymore.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:56:09 PM EDT
You have to treat it like a computer and stay on top of what it is doing. Right after I got it I I unknowingly left a gps speedometer running and it killed my battery in hours. You'll need to download a system app that monitors and kills apps. Don't assume that because an app doesn't have an active screen that it isn't still running.

I was noticing that the GPS function in mine was impaired so I put it side by side with my other one. Sure enough, one locked on 9 satellites, the other was 0 to 4. I would think that is a hardware issue but to make sure I yanked the battery and it booted back up to full function. It seems finicky about apps and its software environment.

In other ways though it is absolutely amazing. I wonder if a pilot could give his thoughts about flying IFR with it. GPS with speed and altitude, Magnetometer (compass), accelerometer, orientation, etc.

Its like carrying 80% or more of a laptop with WAN and WIFI, camera, video camera, GPS navigation, MP3 player, LED flashlight, not to mention phone and who knows what else in one little device.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:56:45 PM EDT
Wait for the HTC EVO.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:03:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Arlis:
You have to treat it like a computer and stay on top of what it is doing. Right after I got it I I unknowingly left a gps speedometer running and it killed my battery in hours. You'll need to download a system app that monitors and kills apps. Don't assume that because an app doesn't have an active screen that it isn't still running.

I was noticing that the GPS function in mine was impaired so I put it side by side with my other one. Sure enough, one locked on 9 satellites, the other was 0 to 4. I would think that is a hardware issue but to make sure I yanked the battery and it booted back up to full function. It seems finicky about apps and its software environment.

In other ways though it is absolutely amazing. I wonder if a pilot could give his thoughts about flying IFR with it. GPS with speed and altitude, Magnetometer (compass), accelerometer, orientation, etc.

Its like carrying 80% or more of a laptop with WAN and WIFI, camera, video camera, GPS navigation, MP3 player, LED flashlight, not to mention phone and who knows what else in one little device.

Not a pilot, but that would be a really bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:06:18 PM EDT
The only thing I don't like about the droid,the ringer volume location
Top Top