Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2010 4:29:02 PM EDT
Time to upgrade my phone. I'm liking the Droid so far...any thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been think about getting one as well, my contract is up in August. I don't have one, but I have fondled one. The only drawback is the keyboard, everything else is pretty sweet. The keyboard, at least me, is way to flat. In fact I think it is so flat that I might not even get it. After all, the main reason I want the phone is because it has an external keyboard
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only handled one for a few minutes. The ui seemed really busy, with lots of tiny icons that were supposed to mean something.

Jobs is a fascist, but he's a fascist with good taste and a sense of ui.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the HTC Hero, which utilizes the Android technology. I love it and can sit and play with it for hours. Some apps are better than others, but for the most part alot of useful stuff.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have the HTC Hero, which utilizes the Android technology. I love it and can sit and play with it for hours. Some apps are better than others, but for the most part alot of useful stuff.
+1

Love my Hero. Best phone I have ever had. Only complaint, is that I have yet to find a phone carrier with a belt clip that I like.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I got mine the day they came out. Overall, I've been pretty happy with mine. It's a solidly built little phone that's served me well so far. The physical keyboard is not great, but you will get used to it. The only drawback I know if is that it will occasionally lose mail settings, and it has to be set up again. A quick Google search will show you I'm not alone in this. I'd say I've had to set it up three or four times now, so I guess you're looking at once a month or so.

Other than that, I give it a thumbs up. It's a pretty kick ass phone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
The R2's are better than the R4's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Happy with mine as well. Was looking into IPhone seriously but my with my Geographical position... I would have to walk 400 Meters left, and do a handstand to get a signal.

Love my Droid.

IPhone needs to dumpAT&T
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Pro: it has a physical keyboard
Con: it has a physical keyboard (and its not a Nexus One.)

Its your personal choice. Go try one out and see if the extra $$ for the keyboard is worth it to you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Pros...awesome phone and technology.

Cons...unlimited minutes voice + Data plan is a lot of damn money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
There haven't been many threads about the Droid recently, have there?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=1018999

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1017566

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=124&t=1011058

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=124&t=1016411

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1015443

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1014867

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1010765

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=951220

I love my Droid.  Switched from an iPhone.  I consider it an upgrade!

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
NO...the voice feature..you know, the phone part...SUCKS.  It is well known.

Verizon told me to wait a month and get the Google Phone..I forget the fancy marketing name...but it has the Android OS and has NO external keyboard.  It uses virtual keyboard.  It is the iPhone killer.  I would wait for it.

Droid has issues.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
verizon customer service
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#14]
PROS - Too many to list.

CONS - None.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Con: You are required to have a $20/month data plan tacked on to your service
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
The bill is the biggest draw back.

Phone does weird shit sometimes.

Sometimes I miss my Blackberry 8830, bu tthose times are rare.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one and love it. For people that complain about the slide out keyboard just dont use it and use the touch screen
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my Motorola Droid; it does just about everything including making phone calls. We upgraded earlier this month from LG Env2s with the Verizon buy one, get one free + discounted upgrade. So two Droids for $99 (After a $200 mail-in rebate
).

Pros: Like a handheld computer. Does almost everything a normal computer can do. I have never had any issues with sound quality, call quality, like others have mentioned. Tons of different apps which are easily installed and free. A decent amount of storage space (16Gig), large sharp/clear screen. GPS/Google maps turn by turn voice navigation. Right now I am using it to listen to Mark Levin streaming live using iHeartRadio.

Cons: Battery can drain pretty quick compared to a normal phone. If you use it just for phone and messaging it lasts for a while, but once you start using the GPS, Internet, camera/video, etc, etc...it can drain quickly. Have to get a data plan, which will cost more a month, mine was about a $50 increase on my bill for two data plans.

ETA: like someone mentioned the keyboard. When I first got the phone I was using the physical keyboard, but as time went on I got really good at using the touch screen keyboard. I very rarely slide my phone open to use the physical KB anymore.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
You have to treat it like a computer and stay on top of what it is doing. Right after I got it I I unknowingly left a gps speedometer running and it killed my battery in hours. You'll need to download a system app that monitors and kills apps. Don't assume that because an app doesn't have an active screen that it isn't still running.

I was noticing that the GPS function in mine was impaired so I put it side by side with my other one. Sure enough, one locked on 9 satellites, the other was 0 to 4. I would think that is a hardware issue but to make sure I yanked the battery and it booted back up to full function. It seems finicky about apps and its software environment.

In other ways though it is absolutely amazing. I wonder if a pilot could give his thoughts about flying IFR with it. GPS with speed and altitude, Magnetometer (compass), accelerometer, orientation, etc.

Its like carrying 80% or more of a laptop with WAN and WIFI, camera, video camera, GPS navigation, MP3 player, LED flashlight, not to mention phone and who knows what else in one little device.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Wait for the HTC EVO.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You have to treat it like a computer and stay on top of what it is doing. Right after I got it I I unknowingly left a gps speedometer running and it killed my battery in hours. You'll need to download a system app that monitors and kills apps. Don't assume that because an app doesn't have an active screen that it isn't still running.

I was noticing that the GPS function in mine was impaired so I put it side by side with my other one. Sure enough, one locked on 9 satellites, the other was 0 to 4. I would think that is a hardware issue but to make sure I yanked the battery and it booted back up to full function. It seems finicky about apps and its software environment.

In other ways though it is absolutely amazing. I wonder if a pilot could give his thoughts about flying IFR with it. GPS with speed and altitude, Magnetometer (compass), accelerometer, orientation, etc.

Its like carrying 80% or more of a laptop with WAN and WIFI, camera, video camera, GPS navigation, MP3 player, LED flashlight, not to mention phone and who knows what else in one little device.

Not a pilot, but that would be a really bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]
The only thing I don't like about the droid,the ringer volume location
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top