Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2015 8:01:00 PM EDT
As fucked as her texts may have been I don't see how she has criminal culpability.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986865/Student-18-encouraged-boyfriend-kill-didn-t-follow-just-threaten-day.html

A high school honor roll student encouraged her boyfriend to take his life because if she didn't, he would just threaten to do it the following day, she allegedly told a friend.
Michelle Carter, 18, was charged last month with involuntary manslaughter in the death of Conrad Roy III, who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in his truck in Fairhaven, Massachusetts last July.
When Roy texted Carter that he wasn't sure he should take his life and had climbed out of the vehicle, she allegedly texted him: 'Get back in.'
Now it has emerged that she later told a friend: 'He got out of the car, and I told him to get back in... because I knew he would do it all over again the next day', People reported.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986865/Student-18-encouraged-boyfriend-kill-didn-t-follow-just-threaten-day.html#ixzz3Tw6zvvUl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Harsh language...
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
good,
I heard about this on the news crazy bitch
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO she was just exercising her 1st amendment rights.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Dupe. Want the link?

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Again?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Its great to have a partner that encourages you through all steps in life.....

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I remain unconvinced that the whole story has been released.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
She's got long teeth
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Go jump off a bridge...
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Well that is fucked up.  Her posts on social media are pretty sick considering.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The guy was in a weak emotionional state, had made the right choice of not killing himself, only for someone with sway to tell him to get back in and do it.  That's evil, and a guy is dead for it.  He made a decision he can never take back.  He's crossed into eternity and judgement, and that girl told him to do it.  To seriously tell someone to kill themself and coax them to it is evil and I'm ok with her being punished for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The guy was in a weak emotionional state, had made the right choice of not killing himself, only for someone with sway to tell him to get back in and do it.  That's evil, and a guy is dead for it.  He made a decision he can never take back.  He's crossed into eternity and judgement, and that girl told him to do it.  To seriously tell someone to kill themself and coax them to it is evil and I'm ok with her being punished for it.
View Quote

She's an evil cunt, but in the end HE made the decision.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]
This is stupid.

She  is vile, and evil, but  an involuntary manslaughterer? No.

She  didn't force him to do it. He did it himself.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who initially told him to kill himself?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IMO she was just exercising her 1st amendment rights.
View Quote

Her what
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is stupid.

View Quote

This.

Also...holy shit.  Thousands of text messages in the  days leading  up? are we sure his cell bill wasn't a contributing factor?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#18]
No. If you're too weak to make your own decisions....& someone can sway you that hard....its on you. Fully.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#19]
involuntary manslaughter in MA requires an act that causes the death of another and that act must be wanton and have disregard of the obvious consequences.

She committed no act that caused his death. He killed himself. Words are not an act.

The charge can also be the result of failure to act, but again, she was not even there. If she watched him get back in the car and watched him die and did not call the police or try to get him out of the car that would be one thing, but again she was not there.

All she did was text him. She used words. I do not see how that rises to criminality of an act that causes a death or an inaction with a legal duty to act, as the case law states.

If this case goes forward, it means if someone texts you something that sounds like they will get hurt, like they are texting you while driving, you will have the legal obligation to call the cops. This is stupid and may have far reaching consequences, but I am not an attorney.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am with peekay on this. He is the one that got back in the truck. It's all on him, fuk if every person I told to fuk off and die, died would I be charged?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As fucked as her texts may have been I don't see how she has criminal culpability.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986865/Student-18-encouraged-boyfriend-kill-didn-t-follow-just-threaten-day.html

A high school honor roll student encouraged her boyfriend to take his life because if she didn't, he would just threaten to do it the following day, she allegedly told a friend.
Michelle Carter, 18, was charged last month with involuntary manslaughter in the death of Conrad Roy III, who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in his truck in Fairhaven, Massachusetts last July.
When Roy texted Carter that he wasn't sure he should take his life and had climbed out of the vehicle, she allegedly texted him: 'Get back in.'
Now it has emerged that she later told a friend: 'He got out of the car, and I told him to get back in... because I knew he would do it all over again the next day', People reported.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986865/Student-18-encouraged-boyfriend-kill-didn-t-follow-just-threaten-day.html#ixzz3Tw6zvvUl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
View Quote

If this is the extent of the evidence, or close to it, whoever brought the charges and whoever issued the warrant and whoever made the arrest should all be deported.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh well. More gas for my jeep.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Charges will never stick.

It sounds like one of those guys who says he's gonna off himself ten times a day every day, and she had enough of it.

Not that I agree with it, but I can understand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Charges will never stick.

It sounds like one of those guys who says he's gonna off himself ten times a day every day, and she had enough of it.

Not that I agree with it, but I can understand.
View Quote

Buddy at 19 had a girlfriend like this. She would always say it, go in a corner of the room and say she would cut herself.

One night I'm trying to sleep on his couch, and she wouldn't shut up about. I finally started pleasing with her to do it so I could go back to sleep.

After that, she stopped hanging around us and broke up with him. 10 years later she is a crackwhore somewhere.

In hindsight, she probably should have listened to me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#25]
A honor student who has no sense of the value of human life.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
If a girl tells me to "go fuck myself" and I do,is it rape?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#27]
You don't?

Dude, this is AMERICA! It is always someone else's fault!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Words have consequences.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#29]
should not be charged IMO
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Words have consequences.
View Quote

Something about sticks and stones goes with that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#31]
We need this ruthless bitch in my clash clan!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If a girl tells me to "go fuck myself" and I do,is it rape?
View Quote

That's jenga!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#33]
my SO's step mom has a couple kids and one of them was dating a kid like this, in high school you are not emotionally mature and it is SUPER stressful to be in a situation like this.

Fucked her son's grades up because he was the cry for help person in an emotionally disturbing relationship. They compelled him to punch out!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.

Also...holy shit.  Thousands of text messages in the  days leading  up? are we sure his cell bill wasn't a contributing factor?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is stupid.

This.

I didn't read the story but if someone texted me thousands of times in a few days I'd want them to kill themselves too.  (kidding but jeysues!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top