Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2006 10:00:41 AM EDT
Cops: Girl Died While Playing With Family Dog
Jan. 25, 2006

(AP) MANORVILLE - A six-year-old girl playing with her dog in the backyard was strangled - when the pet apparently grabbed her scarf and playfully pulled her down to the ground and dragged her around the yard. Suffolk County Homicide Detective Lieutenant John Fitzpatrick calls it "an absolutely tragic story."

Police say the accident happened in the backyard of little Kaitlyn Hassard at 4:30 Tuesday afternoon. The girl came home from school wearing the scarf and the dog began pulling on it. The girl's mother put the dog in the backyard and a few minutes later Kaitlyn asked to go out and play with the dog, which weighs about 70 pounds.

The one-and-a-half Golden Retriever named Jessie, again began playing with the 40-pound girl tugging on her scarf.

Lieutenant Fitzpatrick says the girl was in the yard for no more than ten minutes, because the family was going to run an errand at the Post Office. When her eleven-year-old brother went to the backyard to get his sister, he found her lying on the ground.

The boy called his mother who called 9-1-1 and began CPR. The girl was pronounced dead at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital. Lieutenant Fitzpatrick says "there were no injuries inflicted by the dog." He adds "I don't believe the dog's actions were intentionally malicious."

The dog has been brought to the Brookhaven Animal Shelter.

wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_025120145.html

Okay, how many of you thought "Pit Bull" when you saw the headline?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:02:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:04:21 AM EDT
This version is a little more clearly written:

Six-year-old girl strangled while playing with dog
FROM STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
January 25, 2006, 1:13 PM EST

A six-year-old was strangled to death by a scarf while playing with the family dog in the back yard of a home in Manorville, Suffolk County police said today.

When Kaitlyn Hassard came home from school at around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jessie, an eighteen-month-old, 70-pound Golden Retriever, began tugging at her scarf.

The 40-pound girl and the dog went into the yard, and when her 11-year-old brother went to get her about 10 minutes later, he found her lying on the ground. Their mother called 911 and began CPR, but Kaitlyn was pronounced dead of asphyxiation at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital.

Kaitlyn was wearing the scarf, wet with dog saliva, when she was found; it was not clear whether any further evidence indicated that she had been dragged.

"I don't believe the dog's actions were intentionally malicious," said Detective Lieutenant John Fitzpatrick, a Suffolk County homicide detective, who called the incident "an absolutely tragic story."

The 1 1/2-year-old dog was taken to the Brookhaven Animal Shelter.

www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lidog0126,0,7843759.story?track=mostemailedlink
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:04:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hipster:
Cops: Girl Died While Playing With Family Dog
Jan. 25, 2006

(AP) MANORVILLE - A six-year-old girl playing with her dog in the backyard was strangled - when the pet apparently grabbed her scarf and playfully pulled her down to the ground and dragged her around the yard. Suffolk County Homicide Detective Lieutenant John Fitzpatrick calls it "an absolutely tragic story."

Police say the accident happened in the backyard of little Kaitlyn Hassard at 4:30 Tuesday afternoon. The girl came home from school wearing the scarf and the dog began pulling on it. The girl's mother put the dog in the backyard and a few minutes later Kaitlyn asked to go out and play with the dog, which weighs about 70 pounds.

The one-and-a-half Golden Retriever named Jessie, again began playing with the 40-pound girl tugging on her scarf.

Lieutenant Fitzpatrick says the girl was in the yard for no more than ten minutes, because the family was going to run an errand at the Post Office. When her eleven-year-old brother went to the backyard to get his sister, he found her lying on the ground.

The boy called his mother who called 9-1-1 and began CPR. The girl was pronounced dead at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital. Lieutenant Fitzpatrick says "there were no injuries inflicted by the dog." He adds "I don't believe the dog's actions were intentionally malicious."

The dog has been brought to the Brookhaven Animal Shelter.

wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_025120145.html

Okay, how many of you thought "Pit Bull" when you saw the headline?

If it was a pit the title would have been much different.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:04:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:08:03 AM EDT
Sad, but why is the dog in a shelter now?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:08:54 AM EDT

tragic.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:11:27 AM EDT

Ban scarves. For the children.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:13:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 10:22:01 AM EDT by Hellraiser]

Originally Posted By falaholic1:

You would keep a dog that caused the death your child? I would have strangled it to death with my bare hands.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:14:51 AM EDT
What a fucking bummer man...

~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:18:40 AM EDT
Ban Golden Retrievers for the children.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:23:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 10:24:05 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]

Originally Posted By Hellraiser:

You would keep a dog that caused the death your child?

In this circumstance, yes. The dog did nothing wrong. It was just a freak accident. It's not like he mauled her or something.

And it's not even known whether the dog did cause her death. It's just speculation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:24:12 AM EDT
A 70-pound dog and 40-pound girl is never a good idea without supervision, no matter the breed.

I hope they don't kill the dog, that would be dumb. Of course that's how i'm sure they will.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:25:10 AM EDT
Is anyone going to post some GOOD NEWS on this fucking forum today?

Poor kid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:27:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:
A 70-pound dog and 40-pound girl is never a good idea without supervision, no matter the breed.

I hope they don't kill the dog, that would be dumb. Of course that's how i'm sure they will.

+1
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:28:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

You would keep a dog that caused the death your child?

In this circumstance, yes. The dog did nothing wrong. It was just a freak accident. It's not like he mauled her or something.

And it's not even known whether the dog did cause her death. It's just speculation.

I couldn't have the dog put down for it, but I also wouldn't be able to keep the dog.

Every time I'd look at it I would think about the incident...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT

You would keep a dog that caused the death your child? I would have strangled it to death with my bare hands.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:35:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pyro6988:
Ban Golden Retrievers for the children.

+1...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:37:22 AM EDT
Blame the mom for making her wear that stupid scarf.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:37:49 AM EDT
This is terrible.

Sometimes people forget that our "animals" are still animals.

I mean I love my cat, and I like playing around with him when he's playing.

But that totally changes if he were not a 14 pound tabby, and a 60 pound big cat.

Poor girl.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:37:55 AM EDT
Ban all backyards!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:06:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 11:07:14 AM EDT by falaholic1]

I proably would have shot it with a .22 to the skull.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:11:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 11:13:45 AM EDT by yekimak]
There must have been a pretty drastic knot in that scarf for the dog to drag the kid around and not pull it loose.

I ain't ever heard anything like. I would sooner thing that the parents strangled her and then let the dog play with the scarf than the dog have done it.

ETA: it has always been the rule that if any of my dogs caused harm to someone, that I would be the one to put them down, and I guess that would be the case here if it turns out to be true.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:17:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 11:18:59 AM EDT by Mattl]
Unfortunate. Where was the mom and why is the dog in a shelter? Least the cops didn't shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:17:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By yekimak:
There must have been a pretty drastic knot in that scarf for the dog to drag the kid around and not pull it loose.

I ain't ever heard anything like. I would sooner thing that the parents strangled her and then let the dog play with the scarf than the dog have done it.

ETA: it has always been the rule that if any of my dogs caused harm to someone, that I would be the one to put them down, and I guess that would be the case here if it turns out to be true.

Some people tie their scarf with a lark's head knot which will get tighter when pulled. Dog gets ahold of that, thinks "whee! we get to play tug of war!" and boom, dead kid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:18:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 11:18:55 AM EDT by garandman]
Tragic for the family. NO WAY you could ever imagine their pain.

But what bothers me is the "ambulance chaser" sensationalism that poervades journalism.

Is this REALLY newsworthy? All the news does these days is go around hunting up sensationalistic stories to pump up their readership. Its like using the obits for profit.

LOTS of people died today. Its part of life. Why does the news focus in on only the sensational ones?

Death for fun and profit.

Nothing more.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:20:26 AM EDT
I've said it a hundred times already, Congress needs to act now, we need an assault dog ban & an assault scarf band immediatley.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:29:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheSneak:

Originally Posted By yekimak:

Some people tie their scarf with a lark's head knot which will get tighter when pulled. Dog gets ahold of that, thinks "whee! we get to play tug of war!" and boom, dead kid.

Why not use a noose?

I was raised to never put anything around my neck that could hang up and cause strangulation. I am the same way with my kids who seem to want to wrap everything around their necks during play (my boy is 2, girl 8 months), I sure as hell would not put something resembling a dog toy(dogs love playing tug of war with rope like things) around my kid's neck and send hen out into the yard. How stupid. i still think that there is possibly something more sinister going on here though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 1:05:36 PM EDT by Surf]

Let me get this straight. You (the parent) left your 6 year-old child unsupervised. Now it is the dog's fault. Great logic.

Edited If they were local, I would pick up the dog from the shelter and rename him, Darwin. You have kids have responsibility for them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:46:41 PM EDT
Tragic.

I've had minor incidents with my very lovable dogs. Things like grabbing for a toy and missing...instead biting your hand. Accidentally crashing through the door and breaking things (damn tile).

I almost had to have stiches in my cheek. Playing with the dog on the floor and he jumped, and landed a toenail right in my cheek ripping a 3/4" gash.

Just like people, dogs playing are usually "goofy". Accidents happen. This one was very unfortunate for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:55:05 PM EDT
Horrible things for parents to have to have happen....but in this case it is not the dog's fault.

I can't see hurting the dog, when all it figured it was doing was playing with his little buddy.

Unfortunate accident, accidents do happen....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:00:03 PM EDT

I proably would have shot it with a .22 to the skull.

WTF?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:42:14 PM EDT
How could you blame the dog for just playing a normal dog game? Where was the mom? And if it had been a pit bull he would have eaten her face off before strangling her.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:52:01 PM EDT
"Let the children come unto me"
Rest in peace little girl.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:54:38 PM EDT
I would take the dog in. It did no wrong, the parents are to blame for allowing a 6 year old to play outdoors by herself. She could have just as easily died when she fell on a stick or something. The dog should get no blame.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:58:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:01:38 PM EDT
Sad, but just another example of why parents should NEVER take an eye off the little ones...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:03:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:06:15 PM EDT
Very sad. Can't imagine the parents grief.

That said, lesson for those with big dogs and young kids - NO dog is 100% trustworthy. None.

My dog is a big softheart, but he's also 100lbs. of muscle and likes to play. He could easily overpower my daughter, and I've never left them alone or in circumstances where he can hurt her.

You have to respect an animal's power....even if it's just a housecat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:28:45 PM EDT
Very very sad

For you, don't blame the dog folks...

Do you think that at some time the little girl
might have screemed or other wise showed distress.

I've had a lot of dogs in my day (sled dog driver)

I've raised kids and dogs, and if any one of my dogs
ever showed the tendency to ignore a childs alarm or panic actions
and continued to treat them like a rag doll, that dog would be in a hole.

And I wouldn't care if it was my top lead dog.

GM
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:37:54 PM EDT
The child was probably unable to scream.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:50:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Surf:

Let me get this straight. You (the parent) left your 6 year-old child unsupervised. Now it is the dog's fault. Great logic.

that's what i'm saying. this isn't the dog's fault, it's the mom's fault. just another great example of why parents need to watch their fucking kids.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:07:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By goodmedicine:
Very very sad

For you, don't blame the dog folks...

Do you think that at some time the little girl
might have screemed or other wise showed distress.

I've had a lot of dogs in my day (sled dog driver)

I've raised kids and dogs, and if any one of my dogs
ever showed the tendency to ignore a childs alarm or panic actions
and continued to treat them like a rag doll, that dog would be in a hole.

And I wouldn't care if it was my top lead dog.

GM

Interesting point.

My experience with good dogs has been that if you show any sign that they are hurting you (like saying "OW!") then they will immedately stop playing and usually check on you.

However, if the girl's air was being cut off by the scarf she may not have been able to scream or holler. Or, if the girl normally screams when she is playing with the dog (as little girls do) then the dog may not have thought that anything was wrong.

Very unfortunate no matter how you look at it though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:09:18 PM EDT
The girl could have also fallen down and the dog could have been trying to drag the girl to safety.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:48:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:02:49 PM EDT
Same thing almost happened to my cousin who was six or seven at the time. Very energetic and playful dog tackled her to lick her face and the leash got wrapped around her neck. Then the dog took off to play chase like it usually did and nearly strangled her. They had to sell the dog because she was traumatized by the event and wouldn't go near it afterwards.
Top Top