Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 3:21:34 PM EDT
Three of us are flying up there for a school tomorrow and will be there all week.

Where is the good food and where is the night life?

I guess I gotta eat some clams and lobster, eh?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Inner Harbor for the tourists - go a few blocks inland for the more intrepid...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
All you need is two words:     FELLS POINT.

No clams or lobster.  Lots of blue crabs, shrimp, and oysters.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Go see Ft McHenry.  The Baltimore Museum of Industry is neat.  The B&O Railroad Museum is neat too.  Lots of things along the inner harbor.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Phillips  Crab House. Its at  the inner harbor( I think its still there, It has been 15 yrs since I lived in MD). Get a shitload of steamed crabs and a few dozen pitchers and you guys will be alright

ETA: Definately check out the National Aquarium while you are there
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That could get you trouble. BTDT.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Steamed crabs, my man... that's what you want. The ruth Chris Steakhouse has an upstairs club... the Havana Club. A MUST if you are a cigar smoker. Catch the O's at Camden Yards. They've gone down the dumper for this season, but the stadium is awesome... best park in the majors. For good local brew, check out the Wharf Rat on Pratt St. (walking distance to the stadium). The National Aquarium is awesome. If you are a history buff, see the Constellation and the Torsk, the sub that sank the last Japanese ship during WW II. Have a great visit!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The most important thing is to know where NOT to go. The inner harbor is nice, and there are some good restaraunts there and in the downtown area. Don't go anywhere to the west of Martin Luther King Blvd (or on it either) and don't go anywhere north of Mt Royal Ave.  Fells Point is to the east and for night life it's hard to beat. As you go east of President street towards Fells Point, stay south of Eastern Ave. In the area just east of President street is Little Italy, where some of the best restaraunts are located. Canton is another good place for restaraunts. Overall, stay close to downtown, and don't go west at all and don't go more than a few blocks north, especially if you're east of downtown.

I usually choose just to not go at all, but then again I work there so whattayagonna do?

Oh yeah, and Baltimore is Crab country - not clams or lobster!!

ETA:  View of the Inner Harbor taken from over my desk in my soon to be evacuated office (moving out of downtown, thank God)

ETA 2: If you're so inclined and have transportation, you might want to check out the US Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground, about 30 miles north on I-95. Well worth it if you like big guns!

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The most important thing is to know where NOT to go. The inner harbor is nice, and there are some good restaraunts there and in the downtown area. Don't go anywhere to the west of Martin Luther King Blvd (or on it either) and don't go anywhere north of Mt Royal Ave.  Fells Point is to the east and for night life it's hard to beat. As you go east of President street towards Fells Point, stay south of Eastern Ave. In the area just east of President street is Little Italy, where some of the best restaraunts are located. Canton is another good place for restaraunts. Overall, stay close to downtown, and don't go west at all and don't go more than a few blocks north, especially if you're east of downtown.

I usually choose just to not go at all, but then again I work there so whattayagonna do?

Oh yeah, and Baltimore is Crab country - not clams or lobster!!

ETA:  View of the Inner Harbor taken from over my desk in my soon to be evacuated office (moving out of downtown, thank God)

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=21773

ETA 2: If you're so inclined and have transportation, you might want to check out the US Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground, about 30 miles north on I-95. Well worth it if you like big guns!

I was in that hotel on the right last year around this time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That would be the Hyatt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If you like history Ft. McHenry is a Nice visit!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If you like history Ft. McHenry is a Nice visit!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure your shots are up to date.

(Just kidding, the only thing I know about Baltimore is old "Homicide" episodes.)
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll second recommendations for Camden Yards and the Wharf Rat pub.

Unfortunately the Orioles are on the road this week.

Tons of nice little tourist stuff in the Inner Harbor.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be the Hyatt.

I got to tour the ball field and attend a party at the warehouses beside the field.

ETA: Isn't there a Civil War Museum just off the Inner Harbor area or am I imagining things?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be the Hyatt.

I got to tour the ball field and attend a party at the warehouses beside the field.

ETA: Isn't there a Civil War Museum just off the Inner Harbor area or am I imagining things?

You thinking of Fort McHenry? (War of 1812)
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That could get you trouble. BTDT.

Bah! Maryland is 150% safe. They have laws that took care of "gun crime" and one can now walk the streets at any hour without fear.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Since I office a block or so from GUS I can say that the inner harbor is nothing special. Make sure you bring plenty of "PANHANDLER OFF" to keep the shitheads away...try to stay in groups no matter where you go. Baltimore is very quickly becoming a murder capital...the police have withdrawn from downtown and are focusing on the neighborhoods located further North of the city.
If you decide to venture over to the Fells point area...stay down near the square..there is nothing up broadway except trouble.

They also opened another Ruth's Chris over in the Pier5 hotel. The bars are plenty and good food is never an issue....Phillips is Ok..but given a choice I would find somewhere else to eat...Cab ride to Annapolis maybe???? Baltimore street can get lively and the Hustler Club does make it worth the walk from Light St.

Aberdeen is a venture but a cab could get you there...its truly a firearms/Weapons enthusiast paradise.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Please be careful.  Baltimore is a large ghetto which calls itself a city.  You can be in lousy neighborhoods very close to downtown.  Be careful where you park and very careful where you walk after dark.  

Ft. McHenry and the B&O Museum are both must-sees.  For an off-beat, stand-up lunch hit the Lexington Market.  I have heard the Baltimore Zoo and the park it is in is nice but I have never been there.

Plenty of food and drinking options around the Inner Harbor.  The USS Constellation is moored there too.  Just east of Inner Harbor is Little Italy which can also be a place for a good meal.  

Have some Maryland crabs, they are in season right now.  

GunLvr

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#19]
LEXINGTON MARKET??????????????

Are you insane? That is nearly one of the nastiest places in Baltimore...do not send somebody from out of town into that area. There is nothing "neat" about a bunch of crackheads walking around or running if they just stole something...the "creatures" that hang around that place make me wonder who we put behind bars at the prisons...

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Are you insane? That is nearly one of the nastiest places in Baltimore...do not send somebody from out of town into that area. There is nothing "neat" about a bunch of crackheads walking around or running if they just stole something...the "creatures" that hang around that place make me wonder who we put behind bars at the prisons...

Gotta agree here. That area is to be avoided even in day time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Soft shell crab sandwich. Mmmm/ besides the inner harbor and fells point b-more is a big ugly ghetto.

Oh yeah, don’t get offended when some fat harry old dude calls you “hun”.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, don’t get offended when some fat harry old dude calls you “hun”.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Harbor Place is looking a little slim on nice places also....quite a few retailers have left and nothing is replacing the vacancy.

Hyatt hotel has 2 lounges in the evening that are nice...
Wyndham has a Shula's Steakhouse
Lockwood Place has that new Capital Grill restaurant- food is good.
Aquarium just expanded...pretty cool displays
Constellation is pretty neat....I want to float it out into the harbor and recreate the scene from "Pirates of Carribean" where the Black Pearl fires into the city at night. That would be the best photos ever!!!
Science Center....cool displays
Ft. McHenry...very neat place and the ride there is pretty cool also..

Working in Baltimore daily makes it difficult to judge this sort of stuff. If you are completely bored and going crazy in your rooms drop me an IM and I will see what I can do for entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Who actually says the word "Hun"???

I guess if your broke and live in Dundalk (Sorry to offend the Dundalk crowd on ARF - But I am sure they have dial-up and it will be another week before they read this)Anyway, its as though people pride themselves on poor speech....think of it as White-Ebonics....

"Hey dare hun...we's gettin dem crabs n such..down n glen-dirty"
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree with all of the "Balmer is a shithole" comments. I would suggest starting at the Inner Harbor area and then move on over to Fell's Point. You can do this via the Water Taxi. I don't recall what time it stops running, but you can catch one about every 20 minutes or so.

ETA- Ask for some local beer. Like, oh, maybe some "Natty Bo"(National Bohemian). It's real good stuff. You will truly get a taste of Baltimore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I guess if your broke and live in Dundalk (Sorry to offend the Dundalk crowd on ARF - But I am sure they have dial-up and it will be another week before they read this)Anyway, its as though people pride themselves on poor speech....think of it as White-Ebonics....

I don't think they can take offense to some thing they can't read with out pictures.  But then, they are about par with Curtis Bay.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You forgot about Essex...and Middlesex......and Hawthorne. Oh, and the wonderful useage of the word yous, pronouced yews, as in "Are yous gonna meet us down at da bar hun".
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I agree with all of the "Balmer is a shithole" comments. I would suggest starting at the Inner Harbor area and then move on over to Fell's Point. You can do this via the Water Taxi. I don't recall what time it stops running, but you can catch one about every 20 minutes or so.

Unless of course it gets windy....and flips...and you are then floating around the harbor drunk and in the dark..at which point you will be forced to use a bums corpse for flotation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless of course it gets windy....and flips...and you are then floating around the harbor drunk and in the dark..at which point you will be forced to use a bums corpse for flotation.

If I ended up in that water I would beg for death.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Is it really water anyway?? It seems to me that its more like a good hearty STEW..a combination of runoff, fuel, blood, trash, waste (Human/Animal), chemicals...and of course sludge.

Man, what a shithole Baltimore is...I am so glad I only have 2 months left working here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys. Printed the thread out and looking forward to crabs and suds! (Sorry about the Lobster and clam fubar, WTF do I know about the East Coast? Nuttin, that's what!)

Plane leaves at 0600...

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Second the motion on Aberdeen, and Ft. McHenry.

DON'T FORGET GETTYSBURG.  It can't be much over an hours drive away if that far.

DC isn't that far either.  You can probably grab Maryland Transit or whatever it's called and catch a train right to Union Station in DC and then walk to the capital, etc if you get a long afternoon.

It would be a shame if you got that close to either and passed them up for some cheap booze and dames.  (Maybe even for expensive hooch and expensive dames)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Unless it has gotten a lot worse in the past couple of years I would not worry about Lexington Market in daylight.  A buddy of mine used to live 2 blocks from there, in a fairly expensive condo complex.  

Lexington Market is right by the UMD Medical center and I think even closer to other parts of the downtown UMD campus.  If Lexington Market is now a no-go zone then Baltimore City is truly doomed.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#34]
When the sun goes down, you'd best either be in a bar or behind a locked door.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Alot of cool pubs in Fells Point.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Massage palor on corner of 5th and McKinney. Ask for Vicki.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top