Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 1:55:26 PM EDT
My wife is graduating in May 2012 from Anderson School of Management at UNM.  She will have her MBA focusing in Policy and Analysis.  My wife is no ordinary woman, she is an extremely hard worker.  She juggles being a full time wife, mom of three children, a full time career where she travels 25%+ of the time all while maintaining a 4.0 GPA in graduate school.   Yet she still finds time to do my laundry and cook dinner for a family of 5 every night, keep the house clean, as well as keep the kids occupied with dance classes, soccer, volleyball etc.  She is a pinnacle example of hard work.   I hear people complain that they don't have time to work and go to school at the same time and I tell them thats bullshit.  Look at what my wife has accomplished.  On top of having her MBA she also has her Senior Professional Human Resource Certificate.  Anyone that has one of those, or works in the field knows how tough it is to get one.  

She graduated in the top 10 of her class from high school, she was in the top of her class for her BBA.  She owes NOTHING for school, her BBA was paid for with a scholorship and we paid for the books, her MBA was funded by her employer.   She is also my sugar momma

So, I already know we are going to go eat at one of our favorite restaurants here in New Mexico, The Corn Maiden.  Absolutely fantastic place to eat, if you are making a trip to Albuquerque and want to eat a a 5 star restaurant which is in my opinion THE best place I have ever eaten in my life, go to The Corn Maiden

On top of the very nice dinner, I want to get her something very special for her graduation to show her how much her family appreciates the amount of effort she has made to make our lives better.  She already has all the jewelry she wants, clothes, a Kindle, a smart phone, a nice car.  She regularly gets manicures, pedicures and we usually do a spa treatment every other month or so, so she is well pampered.  But being that she already has everything she wants and needs, it is EXTREMELY difficult to get her gifts.  

So, what say ARFCOM?  Anyone have an idea on a gift that a woman of this caliber would really like?  Money is no issue.  I just want to get her something special.  It will be from myself and my three children.  She likes to read, but she already has a kindle.  

Thank you for all of your input.  

Her is a picture of my lovely wife reading to my wonderful boy Jacob.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Is her ironing board in good working order?

My experience is that you can never go wrong giving a woman jewelery.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
A new kitchen?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a golden locket with text inscribed on the inside cover, perhaps a picture on one side as well.

Just a thought.

A really nice vacation overseas might be the ticket as well.  Take her to Tuscany for a wine tour.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
That is one thing I do for us, I iron.  She doesnt like to.  I don't mind because I am good at it.  I can't get her jewelry.  She has loads of jewelry.  I got her a Citizen Eco Drive watch for Christmas that was not cheap.  White gold, real diamond bezel, pink mother of pearl face.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A new kitchen?  

For her birthday I got granite counters, a stainless undermount sink, a Moen (sp?) faucet and a few other things for the kitchen.  So she has the kitchen she likes.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
She sounds like a good one. I hope she has better luck in this economy with her MBA then me. Hell I am 3/4 of the way through another graduate degree (MIS) and I still working in a position that does not require even a undergraduate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
i was gonna give you a smart ass remark but you actually have a beautiful family.  I don't know about your girl but mine LOVES shoes, get her some pimp ones and a nice dress.  Have some kind of a reservation in the box under the dress.

that or just spend a bunch of money on diamonds.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
She is an adult with a family and has everything already. This is grad school, not that big of a deal. I did not get much when I finished grad, few hundred from my Dad and some scotch from my brother. Wife got me an iPad which was cool. But at this point I pretty much bought it as we are married. Maybe a trip of some sort? It could be nice to get away to celebrate the accomplishment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
A 7 day cruise up the Alaska coast.  My wife and I went back in August and it was great.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
dick in a box
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
dick in a box

Goddammit.  Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
She sounds like a good one. I hope she has better luck in this economy with her MBA then me. Hell I am 3/4 of the way through another graduate degree (MIS) and I still working in a position that does not require even a undergraduate.

Thanks, she is a wonderful woman.  I am grateful that she is my wife.  She has a great job.  Her employer LOVES her.  She is salaried and makes nearly twice as much as I do a year and I am paid very well.  She gets free gas, company pays for her car.  She has applied her degree very well.  They are terrified that she is going to leave.  Her boss always rates her a perfect 5 out of 5 on her performance review, that way she can take advantage of her full bonus potential which is 25% of salary.  Her resume is amazing, she worked for Sandia Laboratory, she worked in management for Johnson and Johnson.  She is very marketable and would have no issues getting another job, but her employer treats her very well so she has no plans to leave.  They are actually building her up to be either director of the department or VP.  The WANT her to move into one of those positions.  Her boss is hoping that she leap frogs him into the VP position.  Which would be sick because she said if that happens I can quit, even though I probably wouldnt, and go to school full time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It sounds like she is loaded up with responsibility and time crunches.  Maybe arrange for a whole weekend away from home, school, and kiddos somehow.

Profit for you if you accompany her.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A 7 day cruise up the Alaska coast.  My wife and I went back in August and it was great.

Thats a good idea.  I think I may look into a cruise.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't get any gifts when I got my graduate degree so I don't have any suggestions.  Sounds like you have a great wife though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a good idea.  I think I may look into a cruise.

Cruise would be a great choice.  But if she has been that busy you should looking into maybe an all inclusive resort.  I loved my visit to Mahogany bay, Isla Roatan.  Maybe a few scuba trips on the large coral reef they have or even a sunken ship
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Leatherman

/thread

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Congrats to your wife!    Anderson has a great program.

I know you are already planning the dinner - but I recommend some other EVENT.  In my experience, men like stuff, but women like experiences.  So if there's maybe something that she didn't have TIME to do with her super-busy schedule, try to figure out what that might be - and spend a whole day (or weekend or trip or something) doing that.  Maybe she always wanted to take the kids to Disney, but never had time, or she wanted to climb Mt. Ranier or whatever it might be.

For example, my wife had a big birthday coming up - and she loves to SCUBA dive, and one of the things she really wants to see are whale sharks.  So I managed to get us tickets to dive in Georgia Aquariums GIANT whale tank (they allow 6 divers a day to get into their main tank, under very stringent rules and supervision), and booked a weekend trip so we could fly down from D.C. and do it.  Obviously not the same as seeing them in the wild, but on the other hand you're pretty much guaranteed to see the whales.  (Although the tank is so freakin' big that most of the time, you cannot see the whales because they are off in the distance).

If I was my birthday, I'd want a gun, or some kind of toy, and a coupon book for blowjobs or something.  Men are simple.  

We are actually planning a Disney World trip this summer as well as a trip to stay at my in laws beach house in Galveston.  She does take vacation.  I think planning something for just me and her is a good idea.  We are going up to Durango this weekend just for one night just so we can enjoy a night eating and drinking at Steamworks, then eating at one of our favorite breakfast cafe's before we head back home.  Just me and the wife, no kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top