Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 4:16:13 AM EDT
What's with people giving gift cards at the holidays instead of cash?

Cash: can be used anywhere for anything at anytime

Gift Cards: only used at select stores, some expire, they deduct money if you don't use it in a certain time, etc.

Give me cash.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#1]
my belief is that it allows the giver to show they at least put some time and effort into thinking about a gift for you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
i see your watching the news
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Gift cards show a little more effort than just sitting at home throwing cash into an envelope.

ETA, I should have read torstin's post first
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't really know... myself, I got about 7 different (well, 6, I got 2 for one place) gift cards... now I have to go to those places and cash out or spend money to get my gift(s).  I would have liked cash myself so I could take it to none of those places and buy the Rem 870 I want

on the other hand, if they were given with thought (which they all probably are) they're given to you based upon where it is that you are most likely shop anyway and this lets you still go there and get what you want instead of something you don't want and will most likely exchange.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it is a "conscious" (sp?) issue just like y'all said.  If anyone took the time to see just how these cards work, they wouldn't buy as many.  They don't provide any benefits over cash.  Even if the card is lost or stolen, it is still treated as cash.  Most have fees that begin if the money sits on the card for more than 6 months.  The holder of the card also has to worry about just how much is left on the thing.  Many people get down to about $10 on the card and just throw it away rather than try to figure out how much is left.  All this works to the advantage of the issuer of the card.

I'll still use cash, thank you very much!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think it is a "conscious" (sp?) issue just like y'all said.  If anyone took the time to see just how these cards work, they wouldn't buy as many.  They don't provide any benefits over cash.  Even if the card is lost or stolen, it is still treated as cash.  Most have fees that begin if the money sits on the card for more than 6 months.  The holder of the card also has to worry about just how much is left on the thing.  Many people get down to about $10 on the card and just throw it away rather than try to figure out how much is left.  All this works to the advantage of the issuer of the card.

I'll still use cash, thank you very much!

Do people really have that hard of a time using them??  

I take them to the store, buy something for a little bit more than the value of the card, then leave.  Couldn't get any easier.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I think a Gift Card shows that at least you went to the store to buy one. I personally do not like them, when I get them I sometimes forget them or they get lost.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#8]
They work as long as it is at a store you shop at.  I got a $100 gift card at Walmart.  I can't decide if I want to buy more ammo, X-box games, DVD's or just use it on food.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:07:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Stores love then and push them! If you get them, you could forget to cash them in, pure profit for the stores!

My wife likes to give them, but I think the kids light up more when they see President Grant rather than a Target card.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]
OH, I know why.  Most gift cards have an expiration date so its like free money if not redeemed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Give me cash.

We give all the people at our medical clinic a general bonus at the end of the year.  The docs will then give a bonus to the people they work closely with.  I gave my nurse a ca$h bonus.  She thanked me and said they were "the perfect color and shape".  My father is arguably the most cynical person you will meet and always says that "If you want to thank someone, give them cash".
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What's with people giving gift cards at the holidays instead of cash?

Cash: can be used anywhere for anything at anytime

Gift Cards: only used at select stores, some expire, they deduct money if you don't use it in a certain time, etc.

Give me cash.

I believe it is to keep you from blowing the money on booze and bar whores.

You must have a rep.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]
We're moving rather quickly to a cashless society.  Get with the program.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the ones I get . Coffee shop, no need to pull out cash , I go almost every day.
Wawa food or gas.  Gun shop.  
The mall that I go to is now charging $ 1.50 for each on bought.  No more from there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 for cash

someone gave me a starbucks $5 card, i dont drink coffee and dont ever know where a starbucks is.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, if not cash, then how about a Visa Gift Card?  It's basically a pre-paid one time use Visa. Can be used anywhere for anything.  Works for me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Using American Express, MasterCard, and Visa Gift Cards you are giving a gift that can be used almost anywhere.  

A gift card to Wal-Mart / K-Mart / ETC. means they have to shop at Wal-Mart / K-Mart / ETC.    

A Visa Gift card means they can shop anywhere that takes Visa, Master Card, or American Express cards, even for on-line purchases.  

A Wal-Mart / K-Mart / ETC card cannot do that.  

Like these:

FWIW
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I prefer getting a gift card as long as it's to a place i asked to get one from
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate the fucking things... You don't know how much is on what one or how much you have spent. If you get a bunch of them and try to buy something expensive, you have to get the clerk to run more than one card. You should be able to transfer the balances to one card.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
My mother is the most voracious reader on this planet. It's safer to send gift cards, and besides, she's always thrilled to get credit at a bookstore, trust me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I like getting them to places like Gander Mountain, Best Buy, or iTunes. Getting them ensures that I get to spend the $$$ on something I enjoy rather than spending the cash on bills or groceries.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#25]
First step, sell gift cards

third step, profit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
the problem with the visa gift cards is most places want a 10.00+ fee just for the card.

Do you have any Valley National Banks in your area?  That is where my Visa Gift Card is from and it's free to their customers:

www.vnbgiftcard.com/index.cfm?pageid=g02&CFID=1&CFTOKEN=27FC6022B6D3C3E8FB33AF087740204E&CFSEQ=1

I've heard of some smaller places charging $2.50 or so, but certainly not $10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top