Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 1:35:20 PM EDT
Dear Fellows!

I have the chance to buy a Gibbs No 7 "Jungle Carbine", which is IMO a shortened Ishapore  2A1, in .308 ( pls no 7.62 / .308 discussion now ).

Gibbs No 7 Jungle Carbine

What do you think of it, what would you pay for it?

My opinion: nice ITSHTF rifle, but no collector value, and short sight radius.

Any input?

Is there a scope sight mount for it?

TIA, Hermann
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Ever shoot one?  They're not the most comfortable things.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to have one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ever shoot one?  They're not the most comfortable things.
View Quote

Only if you're a giant pussy......
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea what this gun is worth, how reliable they are or what kind of condition the one you're getting is. I don't know what the short comings of the weapon are or what it's strengths. 

So, I will answer your question by saying that if it were me, then I would buy it, but I wouldn't be interested for more than $300. 

It is a cool looking gun though, and it would be pretty handy for a lot of different uses. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no use for one.  I turned down one for $250 that was in perfect condition at a local shop recently.  It is just a bubba Enfield that is not terribly comfortable to shoot or accurate.  No collector value and outdated.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like buffer springs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I paid $125 for my full size Ishapore about 20 years ago.

Have decided I'm going to butcher it into my version of a jungle carbine since it does nothing otherwise.

If I were in love with a Gibbs and decided I needed one I'd probably go up to $500 but I'd want to see it first.  ETA - Sounds like I'm a seller's dream.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one when I had an FFL and they were first out. UGLY gun but works after tuning it.

The magazine had big globs of brazing material all over the back. It clicked in but wouldn't feed. Took me a few hours to tune the feed lips to where it would reliably feed from the right side.

The front sight was so loose in the dovetail that it would slide side to side when you tipped the rifle to the side. MAJOR PITA to fix since the sight wouldn't fit to come out the holes in the sight protector ears. I ended up sliding it to one side and peening the dovetail closed a little, then tapping to the other side and peening that side closed a little. It worked and the sight stays put now.

The wood isn't very good. The rear stock is ok, the rear of the forestock is a little splintered and cracked. Doesn't seem to effect shooting it, though.

Mine doesn't do too bad with some milsurp Singaporean 7.62 NATO I have. Definitely not MOA but will shoot minute of man out to 50 yds, when is the furthest I have ever shot it.

While a neat gun, it mostly sits in my gun cabinet nowadays. I'm kinda afraid to shoot commercial .308 and am about out of milsurp 7.62. I don't want to sell it, though, so there it is.

Bub75
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]
These were cobbled together in the U.S. from surplus Indian "Enfields" in th 90s. They have no collector value. Since they were made from surplus rifles (generally in poor condition) and budget parts- accuracy, reliability, and general performance is a roll of the dice. They are not fun to shoot and they are not know for being particularly accurate. Spare parts and accessories will be an issue. Personally, I would look for an original Ishapore 2A1 in good condition or if all you want is a good .308 shooter look at one of the current production offerings from Savage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know what they are worth, but I kinda want one for some reason.  

I have always wanted a shooter grade Enfield of some sort as mine is a heirloom piece with family history that was promised to never be shot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Hit or miss, seen some that work and some that don't. Ishapore 2A retreads. Gibbs is like like the Century Arms of bolt milsurps.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a shot at one 15 years ago. $150 on a gunshow table. Passed on it. As others mentioned kind of cobbled together. A no 4 Mk 2 in excellent condition is a much better Enfield.
It would be neat to have, I doubt you would shoot it much, that short stock is truly uncomfortable. There's just much nicer, more accurate and new cheap 308 rifles out there now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't mind having one, just a fun toy to add to the toy box.  As long as you know it's not a real jungle carbine it's a repo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, thanks, I´ve cooled quite down ...

Seller is asking 700, I´m gonna tell him ...

The problem, as I see it, is, that the No 5 has a peep sight, the Gibbs No 7 a barrel mounted rear sight with a ridiculously short sight radius.

I´m gonna check if that rifle cycles 100%, and bid no more than 350.

IMO the FR 8 is much stronger, has a better sighting system, and a better flash hider.

Only downside is the 5 shot mag, as opposed to a ( quick? ) changeable 12 round one ...

Thanks to all for their input!

Hermann
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The problem, as I see it, is, that the No 5 has a peep sight, the Gibbs No 7 a barrel mounted rear sight with a ridiculously short sight radius.

IMO the FR 8 is much stronger, has a better sighting system, and a better flash hider.

Only downside is the 5 shot mag, as opposed to a ( quick? ) changeable 12 round one ...

Hermann
View Quote

They were quite expensive when Gibbs was doing them (maybe still are IDK) which is one of the many reasons I don't own one!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one of the Ishapore 2A rifles in 7.62 Nato. The issue magazine got in the way of a good prone position; though, it did shoot pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a No5 Jungle Carbine. Try finding an original bayonet at a good price.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Asked the seller in print if the rifle would cycle properly and function correctly three times.

Only answer: let´s call, he doesn´t want to write so much.

Bad sign!

Then I said to him, we should discuss prices around 350, as 700 ist out of the question, as out of any price range I could find on the net.

Seller got angry.

Now I am a little bit upset.

;-)

I FOR SURE won´t buy that gun, except at down cheap price!

Regards, Hermann

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Good enough.  If he's that proud of it let him keep the fuckin thing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hit or miss, seen some that work and some that don't. Ishapore 2A retreads. Gibbs is like like the Century Arms of bolt milsurps.
View Quote

Isn't Century Arms the Century Arms of bolt milsurps?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hermann
View Quote

Wait till you learn more about that FR-8 sighting system.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Short sight radius can be rectified with a Lyman sight in the charger bridge.
I wouldn't pay more than 300 for one.
That said I like mine, it's a good beat around gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool rifles, but no way would I have one as my go to.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Waaaaay too much for what it is. Look around gunshops and you can find mildly bubbafied .303 Enfields cheap. A little work and a shopping trip to Numrich online, and Bobs your uncle. Plus you get the satisfaction of rescuing a piece of history .
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Wandering zero was a problem with the original jungle carbines.  I have no idea if Gibbs figured out how to fix the problem or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top