Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:20:45 AM EDT
Every year a few of these huge bastards show up and try to eat me.  I was mowing today and this one landed on my arm.  I managed to whack him before he impaled me with that spear.

Does anyone have a flamethrower I can borrow?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Little guys like that hitch a ride on the back of the Mosquitos we have down here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Those things always land on me but fail to ever bite.

Its always the smaller variety that are more of a pest.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been bitten by them in the past.  I get huge welts from them.
If these are common in Florida, I'll stay in Indiana.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Those things always land on me but fail to ever bite.

Its always the smaller variety that are more of a pest.

I heard the big ones are MALE and don't bite, the little ones are female and bite
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, that B-52 beats anything I have seen here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Little guys like that hitch a ride on the back of the Mosquitos we have down here.

+1.  I used to have a t-shirt that said, "Louisiana State Bird" with a picture of a mosquito on it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Male mosquito - They do not bite.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats a cute little fellow.

When did they start making them so small?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
If you left enough to identify, you aren't doing it right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wrong while male mosquitos do not bite, There are species about the size of the one in the pic with yellow and black bands on their legs that are Female and will bite the crap out of you.  I am fairly sure that is a Female.  I have encountered some very very large mosquitos on some of the Mangrove Islands.  To be honest I would rather have that one harpoon me than be swarmed by 10 trillion little solid black salt water mosquitos.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

thats the truth... we have some here that are metallic blue and are twice that size... they land and you know they are there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That IS NOT a male... it IS a FEMALE and that one WOULD bite.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#14]
On Parris Island, that's a baby.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#15]
My Dad calls those Tiger Mosquitos... We have them in the salt marshes of La. where I grew up..... They bite!

- Clint
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Suddenly I feel all itchy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#17]
wallops island has the worst mosquitoes i've ever seen...

but they don't last long... the bird sized dragonflies make short work of their populations...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Maine joke

A father and son are walking through the woods one day.

Two mosquitos are sitting on a branch looking down on them.

One says to the other, "how about we pick those two humans up and take them back home for lunch?"

The other mosquito says, "Are you crazy, if we bring them home, we'll have to fend off the big ones."
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
On Parris Island, that's a baby.

On PI, they're called Sand Fleas.    and the SDI/DIs find wicked ways for them suckers.  

FYI:
Male mosquitoes drink only sugary fluids such as flower nectar. Both in the wild and in the laboratory, mosquitoes will visit certain flowers and will feed on fruit placed in their cage.

# The females will also drink sugary fluids, but when hungry females are given a choice between sugar water and blood, they will always choose blood.

# If males are offered the same choice, they will always drink the sugar water.

# Since male mosquitoes do not suck blood, they also do not transmit diseases. Like the males of many other insect families, they are important for just one reason, and then they become superfluous.

# The female usually needs to mate just once in her life. She stores sperm in her body and fertilizes her eggs at the moment when she lays them. Shortly before or after mating, she takes a meal of blood to provide the eggs with protein.

# They seem to prefer dark-colored objects to light. Certain chemical smells may also come into play; for example, components of blood and sweat such as hemoglobin and amino acids.

# The best explanation of what brings the mosquito to its victim is that she simply flies upwind until she comes upon a potential victim exuding a “host beam” of warm, moist air laden with carbon dioxide.

# Mosquitoes will even suck the blood of birds, frogs, turtles, snakes and just about every warm-blooded animal. In fact, some mosquitoes prefer their sources of blood to be other than human. There are many species of mosquitoes that prefer the blood of birds or other animals. In fact, some species have been observed to feed on numerous mammalian groups, on a variety of reptilian species, and even on other kinds of insects.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm allergic to mosquitos that thing would probably swell my arm from wrist to shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#22]
LOL, it's not a Crane fly.  We have plenty of those around here, they don't have harpoons coming out of their faces and they are about half dollar size.

I can assure you guys, this one is a biter.  He didn't land on my arm to say "hi".  I've been bitten by ones just like this in past years.

Quoted:
Looks like it may be what is often called a Crane Fly.

www.enaturalist.org/unit/147/fr

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly

insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/bimg215.html

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#23]
You just killed the State Bird of Minisoda..Minesotta..Manny....Florida.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Dark clothing attracts them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#25]
They are attracted to CO2.  Avoid breathing when outside.  And they are attracted to light-colored clothing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Gotta be a female. If it were a male one that big I would be able to see his nadsak
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
LOL, it's not a Crane fly.  We have plenty of those around here, they don't have harpoons coming out of their faces and they are about half dollar size.

I can assure you guys, this one is a biter.  He didn't land on my arm to say "hi".  I've been bitten by ones just like this in past years.

Quoted:

It's awful hard for me to judge size - I am not familiar with the coin you used.

With all the talk about larger mosquitos being male, and giant mosquitos that don't bite - I automatically thought crane fly.

That thing does seem to have a mosquito face.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's awful hard for me to judge size - I am not familiar with the coin you used.

With all the talk about larger mosquitos being male, and giant mosquitos that don't bite - I automatically thought crane fly.

That thing does seem to have a mosquito face.

Thats a biter... that BITCH would welt you up but good, and extract a bit of blood in the process.

its a female. as i said.. we have some huge fuckers here in FL.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong while male mosquitos do not bite, There are species about the size of the one in the pic with yellow and black bands on their legs that are Female and will bite the crap out of you.  I am fairly sure that is a Female.  I have encountered some very very large mosquitos on some of the Mangrove Islands.  To be honest I would rather have that one harpoon me than be swarmed by 10 trillion little solid black salt water mosquitos.

Did you look between the legs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top