Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 8:47:26 PM EDT
Watching a show on Netflix called underworld inc. episode one is called ghost guns. They are showing how they get made and smuggled into the US. Some of these are beautiful looking 1911s. They said they sell for up to $800 on the street to be untraceable. I was like shit that cheaper then going to the LGS and filling out a 4473 for a normal one.
Plus they were super worried about the bullet being traced back to the gun from the rifling. Is this really a thing they can do easily? Or is it some CSI tv show stuff? I mean anyone can go buy any gun and buy a new barrel for it easy. What say the hive on this show? Anyone else watch it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
No one has seen the show?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]

meh, the first episode is on YT. Tried posting it, butt.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Was that the one with the guy building 1911s in a Filipino mud hut with a hacksaw? Yeah I wouldn't shoot that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Underworld Inc was originally on the NatGeo channel.

Same as the show "Drugs Inc"

While I enjoy watching both shows, I have absolutely no doubt they're sensationalized to some degree
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The whole ghost gun thing is just silliness.

Break into a home and steal the gun in the nightstand = just as untraceable.

This whole idea of having rifling in a database is laughable.  A couple swipes of a file and you change that enough to botch any match.  Which is why the states that tried to set up a database of the of cartridge casings and bullets never solved any crimes with it (note digging a bullet out at the crime scene and later on matching it to a gun is actually reasonable.  This other idea is bullshit)

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The whole ghost gun thing is just silliness.

Break into a home and steal the gun in the nightstand = just as untraceable.

This whole idea of having rifling in a database is laughable.  A couple swipes of a file and you change that enough to botch any match.  Which is why the states that tried to set up a database of the of cartridge casings and bullets never solved any crimes with it (note digging a bullet out at the crime scene and later on matching it to a gun is actually reasonable.  This other idea is bullshit)
View Quote

Interesting. You can also buy a new barrel that is different from the factory too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top