Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2002 8:17:11 AM EDT
Ive just started on my project that I have been planning for ahwile now. But for those who have built them before, how big were the squares in the netting that you used to make it? Ive got some netting that is about 2.5 inches square. iot just seems like it will be a little large so Im planning on attaching them in the midpoints of each section. So that i can cut down the size.
 How did you guys attach the netting to the garment? I had been planning on useing silicone, or maybe stiching it. Not quite sure yet. And what kind of knot should I use to attach the burlap?

Any help would be great guys.
thanx
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
My netting was much smaller about 1.25 inches square.  I bought it at a garden center where they sell it to cover cherry trees (keeps birds away) The packaging says that it is recycled Herring Net.. Works great and is cheap ( $7 CDN for enough to do two suits).
   I sewed mine in about 8 inch grids.  I used strong thread used in furniture upholstery.  Then I put a dab of Liquid nails on each sewn Joint.  Any seams on the netting I "sewed" with jute cord.  the remainder is shredded burlap.

Here is the finished product:
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/3/28/65/27432865pDKbGiSZJN_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I used old woodland, treebark, and solid black and brown cloth to make mine. I cut the material into strips about 3 inches wide and 8 inches long. The platform for all this was an old coverall in olive drab. I sewed the strips on upside down and backwards so that when the suit was turned like you wear it, the cloth strips stood out from the base giving it more depth and 3-d. That was about 8 years ago and the times that I hunted in it I was never spotted by deer or other hunters. Smell is another thing though. That Mo-Fo was hot and deer would smell you if they were down wind. If you plan to bow hunt with it you will have to sew down tight and flat those strips that could catch a bowstring. I learned the hardway on that. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top