Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2011 9:19:14 AM EDT
Okay, I've been looking around at some laminate flooring. I've found one deal that really stands out to me.

Home Legend Brazilian Cherry 7mm Thick x 7-9/16 in. Wide x 50-5/8 in. Length Laminate Flooring (36 cases/861.48 Sq. Ft./pallet)

The thing is, it's really cheap.$810 for the pallet!! All the reviews on Home Depots site are positive. I just ordered a single box to try out. Anybody have any advice on this or flooring in general?

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 10:51:06 AM EDT
My experience with laminate flooring is that if your floor isn't completely level then it won't hold up very long.

When putting down hard floors, prep on the sub-floor is 80% of the job.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 12:06:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bigler:
My experience with laminate flooring is that if your floor isn't completely level then it won't hold up very long.

When putting down hard floors, prep on the sub-floor is 80% of the job.

I agree 100%

My Inlaws bought a house with that pergo stuff... and the floor is wicked uneven... Since there is no real structural strength in some of that stuff, it just conforms to all of the imperfections in sub-floor
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:18:07 PM EDT
That makes perfect sense. So just get like a level and or laser to check. I'm starting in the bedroom, haven't checked with a level yet, but I'm hoping its good to go or least with minimal work on that end.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:49:34 AM EDT
90 cents per sqft is about the going rate for cheapo laminate. Doesnt matter that its "cherry", because its only a picture on formica, not wood. At that price, every 4th or 5th board will have the exact same grain pattern picture on it.

Now, engineered flooring has a layer of real wood on top, and brazilian cherry is about $2 per sqft wholesale from my distributor. Solid chinese and canadian 3/4" thick runs just over $4.
Top Top