Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 12:01:39 PM EDT

I have a few rifles that I'd like to see not rust while I'm away, what is a good CHEAP way to store them for about 2 years?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
smear them up with grease after removing wood and plastic and optics. wrap in plastic bags.

insert in a safe. the safe is to be fitted with a pair of goldenrod heaters.

Hope he doesn't store his dog like that!

Oop's, my bad.  I thought he was asking about his dog too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I would look into maybe a gun shop or something that you can rent storage in. Perhaps there is a market ffor long term gun storage, I ought to look into it. My concern is that if your method fails you wont know for years, and by then you have some aweful rusty guns.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
ive been told vasalene is by and far the best way.

It seems reasonable to me, petro jelly is basically a kissing cousin to cosmoline.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
What state are you in?.....For example in Arizona I could hit my rifles with a light spray of rem oil and set them in the safe for 2 years with no other protection and they would be fine for two years....

If your in an area with very low temps in the winter and a lot of moisture you might want to grease them up pretty good.

Do you have a friend or a relative (fellow shooter) that you can trust to keep them for you? I'd let a friend watch over them if he had a safe, etc., and would take them out every few months to lube them etc.

-John
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Mr_Happyface: Have you tried vacuum sealing your guns. No air & moisture, therefore no rust. You can buy a cheap vacuum sealer at Wall-Mart for $60, and some 15" wide continuous roll plastic to make bags for something like $10 per 30' roll. If you want to be super sure you can probably buy a few packets of those silicon dioxide dissicants to absort water.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Do I look like  a fucking <Removed>

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mr_Happyface: Have you tried vacuum sealing your guns. No air & moisture, therefore no rust. You can buy a cheap vacuum sealer at Wall-Mart for $60, and some 15" wide continuous roll plastic to make bags for something like $10 per 30' roll. If you want to be super sure you can probably buy a few packets of those silicon dioxide dissicants to absort water.

Holy shit if you paint them black you can call them Tactical Weapon Storage Bags you will sell a fortune.

This is my idea and I am off to the patent office right now.    
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
remove stock and othe removable parts coat all metal in 10W-30 Motor OIl wrap in plastic and store in a safe dry place.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do I look like  a fucking <Removed>

Sgtar15

Racist.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
read this.......
long term gun storage

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Got any friends?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have a few rifles that I'd like to see not rust while I'm away, what is a good CHEAP way to store them for about 2 years?

Thanks

Send them to me!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
When deployed for DS/DS, I put my gunsafe in one of the humidity controlled storage units and oiled my guns up and paid the fee for a year ahead. Had a bud go by periodically and check on the status of the storage unit.

Hey, I was single and had no one.. it was my only option.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit if you paint them black you can call them Tactical Weapon Storage Bags you will sell a fortune.

Go for it pal, you deserve to make a million off of MY idea.

Actually, Brigade Quartermasters has food-grade bags that will hold a single complete 20" AR15A2, that you can rip off and gain access to your rifle in a millisecond.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a product called RIG.  It stands for "rust inhibiting grease".

You can buy it in 1 lb cans.

Detail strip your weapons, clean inside and out.  Then slather the rig on, inside the bore, internals, and external parts.

Reassemble the weapons, and store them preferrably in a temperature controlled area that has some air circulation.  If you can store them horizontally, so much the better.

If in a safe, they need the goldenrod heaters.

Ideally, store them at a trusted friends home, or a trusted close relative.  Lacking that, maybe someone has a good suggestion for off site secure storage.

Stay safe, and thanks for your service.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go for it pal, you deserve to make a million off of MY idea.

Actually, Brigade Quartermasters has food-grade bags that will hold a single complete 20" AR15A2, that you can rip off and gain access to your rifle in a millisecond.

Dont wory I will give you a couple of bucks for your Idea

Seriously that is a good idea.  This will give me a reason to buy one of those food savers.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top