Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 11:01:39 AM EST

I have a few rifles that I'd like to see not rust while I'm away, what is a good CHEAP way to store them for about 2 years?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:06:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:06:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 11:07:42 AM EST by Boom_Stick]

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
smear them up with grease after removing wood and plastic and optics. wrap in plastic bags.

insert in a safe. the safe is to be fitted with a pair of goldenrod heaters.

Hope he doesn't store his dog like that!

Oop's, my bad. I thought he was asking about his dog too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:23:04 AM EST
I would look into maybe a gun shop or something that you can rent storage in. Perhaps there is a market ffor long term gun storage, I ought to look into it. My concern is that if your method fails you wont know for years, and by then you have some aweful rusty guns.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:52:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 11:55:28 AM EST by luger355]
ive been told vasalene is by and far the best way.

It seems reasonable to me, petro jelly is basically a kissing cousin to cosmoline.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:55:44 AM EST
What state are you in?.....For example in Arizona I could hit my rifles with a light spray of rem oil and set them in the safe for 2 years with no other protection and they would be fine for two years....

If your in an area with very low temps in the winter and a lot of moisture you might want to grease them up pretty good.

Do you have a friend or a relative (fellow shooter) that you can trust to keep them for you? I'd let a friend watch over them if he had a safe, etc., and would take them out every few months to lube them etc.

-John
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:58:10 AM EST
Mr_Happyface: Have you tried vacuum sealing your guns. No air & moisture, therefore no rust. You can buy a cheap vacuum sealer at Wall-Mart for $60, and some 15" wide continuous roll plastic to make bags for something like $10 per 30' roll. If you want to be super sure you can probably buy a few packets of those silicon dioxide dissicants to absort water.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:00:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 7:36:45 PM EST by thebeekeeper1]
Do I look like a fucking <Removed>

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:04:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By warlord:
Mr_Happyface: Have you tried vacuum sealing your guns. No air & moisture, therefore no rust. You can buy a cheap vacuum sealer at Wall-Mart for $60, and some 15" wide continuous roll plastic to make bags for something like $10 per 30' roll. If you want to be super sure you can probably buy a few packets of those silicon dioxide dissicants to absort water.

Holy shit if you paint them black you can call them Tactical Weapon Storage Bags you will sell a fortune.

This is my idea and I am off to the patent office right now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:05:05 PM EST
remove stock and othe removable parts coat all metal in 10W-30 Motor OIl wrap in plastic and store in a safe dry place.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:05:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 7:37:07 PM EST by thebeekeeper1]

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
Do I look like a fucking <Removed>

Sgtar15

Racist.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:06:42 PM EST
read this.......
long term gun storage

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:09:38 PM EST
Got any friends?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:15:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mr_Happyface:

I have a few rifles that I'd like to see not rust while I'm away, what is a good CHEAP way to store them for about 2 years?

Thanks

Send them to me!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:17:25 PM EST
When deployed for DS/DS, I put my gunsafe in one of the humidity controlled storage units and oiled my guns up and paid the fee for a year ahead. Had a bud go by periodically and check on the status of the storage unit.

Hey, I was single and had no one.. it was my only option.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:19:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By M1-Matt:

Holy shit if you paint them black you can call them Tactical Weapon Storage Bags you will sell a fortune.

Go for it pal, you deserve to make a million off of MY idea.

Actually, Brigade Quartermasters has food-grade bags that will hold a single complete 20" AR15A2, that you can rip off and gain access to your rifle in a millisecond.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:26:36 PM EST
There is a product called RIG. It stands for "rust inhibiting grease".

You can buy it in 1 lb cans.

Detail strip your weapons, clean inside and out. Then slather the rig on, inside the bore, internals, and external parts.

Reassemble the weapons, and store them preferrably in a temperature controlled area that has some air circulation. If you can store them horizontally, so much the better.

If in a safe, they need the goldenrod heaters.

Ideally, store them at a trusted friends home, or a trusted close relative. Lacking that, maybe someone has a good suggestion for off site secure storage.

Stay safe, and thanks for your service.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:35:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 12:35:48 PM EST by M1-Matt]

Originally Posted By M1-Matt:

Go for it pal, you deserve to make a million off of MY idea.

Actually, Brigade Quartermasters has food-grade bags that will hold a single complete 20" AR15A2, that you can rip off and gain access to your rifle in a millisecond.

Dont wory I will give you a couple of bucks for your Idea

Seriously that is a good idea. This will give me a reason to buy one of those food savers.
Top Top