Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2018 11:58:25 PM EDT
Just pulled the F100 out and ordered a few rolls of Fuji Velvia 100. (I miss the days of working in the photo shop and getting that stuff at cost! )

Can't justify the cost of a D810 right now and I miss shooting slides. Time to have some fun!
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Won't take that much film + processing to add up to the cost of a used D810 these days.
View Quote
Sadly that's fairly true!

But there is something about a perfectly exposed slide on a lightbox. I'll snag an FX camera eventually but for the time being I'm going to have some fun with what I got and get back to the photography I fell in love with years ago.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]
In Cali film processing chemicals are banned because they cause cancer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
After shooting a few rolls of film I always shoot better even with my digitals.

Need to get some rolls of Velvia for a trip to the big island this fall
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I love about shooting some slides. No latitude for under or over exposure. Teaches you how to nail the exposure.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hope yer kidding.

*_*
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
how long is 35mm film (slide and print) good for?

I have a collection that I have hanging on to for a long time

I might feel the need to shoot some kodachrome.... someday

Yes I have some of that...
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
how long is 35mm film (slide and print) good for?

I have a collection that I have hanging on to for a long time

I might feel the need to shoot some kodachrome.... someday

Yes I have some of that...
View Quote
Has it been in the fridge?
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:47:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually might be good to go then.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I should break out the n90 and shoot a roll
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I should break out the n90 and shoot a roll
View Quote
The color reversal (slide) film is going to be the less forgiving stuff. But, having been put in the freezer should have kept it good to go.

I bet that Reala performs great as well. I didn't shoot a ton of negative film years ago, but when I did and was not shooting people that was my go to. Kodak Portra for people. (insert me missing my Hasselblad here. )
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#13]
After recently completing a batch of 300+ film frames, I can say that I just don't miss 35mm film.

I have a crate of slides and a crate of negatives sitting at my feet right now, and there are some slide sheets in there that truly make me smile when I set them on the lightbox. However, more than not, I look back at what I have on positive/negative, and think about how much better all of it could have been with digital.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's what I love about shooting some slides. No latitude for under or over exposure. Teaches you how to nail the exposure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just watched a youtube video on Velvia, it has 5 stops of latitude. I tried a couple of 120 rolls, I really need to study up on this film.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my Nikon FM2. But I am not going to be buying anymore film. I have never taken better photos than I am getting with my D500. To be fair my pockets are much deeper now and I finally have good glass. But shooting like a lunatic and experimenting while having the shooting data embedded? My God man! What a time to be a photographer!!! I used to use a notebook to log aperture and shutter and the lens used!
 I wanted a much bigger format than 35mm since I wanted better resolution and started collecting the pieces when they stopped making film.

I am recently back into it, with a vengeance. I liked making prints in my closet darkroom though...developing your own film or loading rolls from a bulk container was freaking cool. I will never forget watching the image come up in the developer and then popping it in the stop bath when it was just so. And home built pinhole camera action! I think I first developed my own film when I was 12 or so. Not certain. I am 56 now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I just checked EBAY and found a near mint black body FM2 like mine for 399. From Japan.

HA! Mine is actually mint and never got dirty! A fabulous camera. Mine has the honeycomb etched titanium shutter vanes and is good for 1/4000 of a second.(all FM2 cameras were good to 1/4000...but the shutter was redesigned.)

That was a huge deal when I bought it in the early 80's for about 435 dollars. Later models used aluminum vanes which were flat. The honeycomb vanes
look very freaking cool. Solid aluminum body and silky smooth controls...it exudes quality and substance even now. A fully pro manual camera made when Nikon was the be all and end all of sports/journalism.

They are bombproof and very recommended if you want to shoot film. I thought it would last me my whole life when I bought it.

I find it somewhat bittersweet film is making a comeback!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:34:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just watched a youtube video on Velvia, it has 5 stops of latitude. I tried a couple of 120 rolls, I really need to study up on this film.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shot countless rolls of 50 and 100. To me the 100 has the best color. I've never done any push pull experiments with 100. But, I have taken 50 down to 25 and got some amazing saturation.

ETA: Pic I shot on Velvia 50 pulled to 25.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:06:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hope yer kidding.

*_*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope yer kidding.

*_*
Nope, I am not kidding; I am very serious. Google "Calif Prop 65" and read it for yourself. I use radiator cleaning chemicals oxalic acid and is no longer available at the local auto repair stores such as Pep Boys. And toilet cleaning chemical such as sulfuric acid is not longer available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top