Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 10:51:36 PM EDT
These are pretty sharp looking, are these any different than the Navy Issued ones you can get at the BX?

[img]http://www.newsmaxstore.com/nmstore/images/promoprods/hat-reagan.jpg[/img]

Order form here:
[url]http://www.newsmaxstore.com/nms/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=97&CATID=10&GroupID=13[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Why? Are they lined with tin foil?
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The button on the top is a GPS homing beacon so the Navy can drop JDAM's and JSOW's on each person wearing on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The Navy doesn't have BXs. Further, ship's ball caps are sold in the ship's store and occasionally at the NAVY EXCHANGE  uniform shop. Yes, they look like what the fleet sailors wear.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't quite look right to me. All my ball caps were patches on the front, and they are different than the ones sold at the exchange because the ones sold in the ships store have a patch on the back too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't quite look right to me. All my ball caps were patches on the front, and they are different than the ones sold at the exchange because the ones sold in the ships store have a patch on the back too.
View Quote

During my fleet tenure, I have seen patches sewn on the front with the ship's name and hull number, I have seen them ironed on, and I have seen them embroidered. I have only seen embroidery/patches on the backside for COs, XOs, CMCs, department heads, and certain squadron types (brown shoe Navy- not the REAL Navy). The hat looks right. If you're still in doubt as to its authenticity, then get ahold of the command's ombudsman, CMC, etc. and see if they'll get you one out of the ship's store and send it to you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you think for a nick name for this ship? You know like the USS Theodore Roosevelt is called "the big stick". How about "the great communicator"
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

During my fleet tenure, I have seen patches sewn on the front with the ship's name and hull number, I have seen them ironed on, and I have seen them embroidered. I have only seen embroidery/patches on the backside for COs, XOs, CMCs, department heads, and certain squadron types (brown shoe Navy- not the REAL Navy). The hat looks right. If you're still in doubt as to its authenticity, then get ahold of the command's ombudsman, CMC, etc. and see if they'll get you one out of the ship's store and send it to you.
View Quote

I thought it didn't look quite like the ones my SQUID friends had.  I like the ones with the silouette better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you think for a nick name for this ship? You know like the USS Theodore Roosevelt is called "the big stick". How about "the great communicator"
View Quote

How about they nickname her "DUTCH"
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The boats that I was on would go through spells where they had caps with the ship's silhouette and later they'd be without. Ironed on one time and sewn on the next. These things change. The hat looks right. However, read this from its description:
This is a high-quality six-panel 100% brushed cotton constructed hat featuring a reinforced sweatband, pre-curved visor and an adjustable fabric strap with a brass buckle.
View Quote

That right there indicates it isn't the same as what ship's company wears and for $20?!! Get ahold of the command ombudsman via the boat's website and you should be able to buy a REAL cap for less than $10.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The boats that I was on
View Quote

JD - were you on subs?  bubbleheads have a tendency to get uptight when surface dudes (was one myself) called their commands boats instead of ships as they referred to the black tubes they cruised in as boats.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have always called them boats without repercussion, even around bubbleheads at Mare Island and Sub Base Pearl Harbor. No one got uptight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
How about his other nick name "the teflon president".
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top