Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 3:14:53 AM EDT
Kid has a mohawk and is kicked out of school, parents Cited/Fined for letting kid have "Disruptive Hairstyle"

www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2006/03/29/356631.html&cvqh=weird_hairdo

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
no story at the link
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
School Sends Boy With Spiked Hair Home
By Associated Press
Wed Mar 29, 8:05 PM

TULIA, Texas - All 7-year-old Dallas Saenz wants to do is express his personality, but school officials in this Panhandle town have countered that the first-grader's Mohawk hairdo is disruptive.

Highland Elementary officials sent Dallas home March 10, the day before spring break, because of the spiky cut. When classes resumed March 20, Dallas had tamed the Mohawk by combing it down.

"They laughed at me," he said.

The next day his parents allowed him to go to school with the spiked styling, but he was again ordered home.

Tulia Superintendent Ken Miller said Dallas could return to school when his hairdo is acceptable.

"If it's no distraction, it's no problem," Miller said.

Dallas has been home since March 21 because his mother, Toni Ramirez, said she understood he can't return until his hair grows out.

Dallas' parents said they've gotten two citations, each with a $300 fine, for "disrupting classes." Their son could face truancy charges, and he could be held back a grade if he misses more than 21 days, they said.

Ramirez and husband Ricky Saenz said they are willing to face all of that to protect their children's rights to express themselves.

"Everybody's different," Ramirez said. "He's not hurting anybody."

Miller said the solution is easy for Dallas' parents. Tulia's dress code states: "Hair should be neat, clean and well-groomed. Style or color should not be extreme to the point of creating a distraction."

The boy's porcupine-like cut caused a distraction, principal Johnny Lara said.

"All the students were commenting and going on about the hairstyle," Lara said. "It was very visible."

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
"They laughed at me," he said.

Dallas' parents said they've gotten two citations, each with a $300 fine

Sounds great to me.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Citations? Must be a private school, in which case, they were most likely given the rules, and are paying for the privelege of letting Dallas express himself.

I would be interested to know how they have authority to impose fines.

[an internet search shows this is a public school, apparently out of control and getting too big for its britches.]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:32:40 AM EDT
[#6]
IT's government school--what do you expect in a police state?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#7]
What kind of retarded parents let a 1st grader get a mohowk?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Its called a dress code... Yes, they have those in Texas schools.

No logo T-Shirts, no fucked up hair, no open toed shoes, no shorts, no gang tats… Last time I checked, employers do that stuff too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:45:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No logo T-Shirts, no fucked up hair, no open toed shoes, no shorts, no gang tats… Last time I checked, employers do that stuff too.

You can't wear SHORTS in high school?

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Basicly a dress code violation. School had every right to send him home.

I don't know about the fines, however. I work for a public school district and we can't fine students for being  a dumbass.

Unless he broke something when he was asked to leave, or the fines are due to unpaid dues or fees (registration, books, etc). I think there is more to the story and the family is not being truthful.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 there.  WTF?!

I've never heard of a school being able to fine anyone.  That's some bullshit right there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what district Sub-MOA is familiar with but shorts were ok where I went. Not only that but I do recall several 'punks' having mohawks, liberty spikes, etc. and the teachers never did anything to them. Sometimes the principal would see one though and the worse he would do was to make them comb down their hair.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What an employer can do and what the .gov can do to you when you are compelled to attend school are two different standards.

Actually no... It is state law (thanks to good Ole H. Ross Perot)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what district Sub-MOA is familiar with but shorts were ok where I went. Not only that but I do recall several 'punks' having mohawks, liberty spikes, etc. and the teachers never did anything to them. Sometimes the principal would see one though and the worse he would do was to make them comb down their hair.

I went to High School in the panhandle (Dalhart)

I hated those fuckers for making me kill my sweet mullet every fall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top