Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2016 4:15:55 PM EDT
So I've been wanting to get into reloading and also been thinking about buying a suppressor (I don't have either)

I've got $1000-$1200 to spend.

I can get everything I need to reload every caliber I own.

Or I could get a suppressor and tax stamp (thinking about a Silencerco Hybrid).

With the tax stamp changes coming up and with all my NFA stuff set up through a trust that includes me, the wife, and my parents once the 41f or what ever it is goes into affect it will be a bigger pain in the ass to get the suppressor.

Now my shooting spots are limited to an outdoor range 1+ hour away or indoor ranges local to me, either one I would have to wear ear protection at no matter if I had a suppressor or not....

The suppressor would get the most use on my AR-15's, it would live on the XDM that sits on top of my dresser for home defense purposes in case I ever had to use it everyone in the house wouldn't go deaf.

So which would you guys do? I'm kinda leaning toward reloading as I would get more use out of it, but have always wanted a suppressor and it seems to be the right time to do it before 41f.

Thanks.

Eta spelling
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Get both.

Build a suppressor and get reloading equipment for a few calibers to start
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Get both.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get both
View Quote

Not enough funds to do both right now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Reloading equipment, and it is not even close.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a "silencer".

Reloading isn't all that much cheaper now'days/currently and some components are hard to find (or will be), and all you're gonna really end up doing is shooting more

You can do both by getting a used single stage and dies. You don't really need an industrial setup to start with
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the idea of reloading, but for the calibers I shoot, it doesn't really make sense. In a year from now? Maybe.

What I'd say is buy all the powder, bullets, primers, etc and just sit on it. Wait on the reloader as those aren't going anywhere and didn't seem to be hard to get the last time the panic circus was in town.  Get the suppressor(s) now and see what happens this fall. Worst case you bought low and will have a new hobby after you buy the machine to reload, best case you were ahead of the curve and will be shooting while others are lining up at WM looking for ammo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both

Form 1 suppressor solves your problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Start the suppressor paperwork ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got both. If I could only have one it would be my Dillon 550b with plenty of components. Ear plugs are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This right here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.

Yep, this.  OP, you should start a poll for this thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.

What those guys said ^^^
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
What are you going to suppress without ammunition?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy the silencer

Unless you plan on shooting a lot of rounds every week.

If you just want to load for precision shooting then that can be done on a single stage press
which are much cheaper than you $1200 budget .

In fact you can buy both this way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you wanting to reload bulk 9mm, 45, .556, 7.62 or precision/hunting loads.

My take would be get your first can on your trust and a single stage RCBS pkg (with lots of components) for starters.

You can add a dillon down the road as your cash flow improves.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am going with this.

ETA - as mentioned Form 1 can entry fee only $200 and get into reloading is a good option.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Rimfire suppressor, no question about it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am going with this.
ETA - as mentioned Form 1 can entry fee only $200 and get into reloading is a good option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am going with this.
You have to own the suppressor before you can file.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends on whether you with to be a precision shooter or a double-O assassin.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Reloading isn't all that much cheaper now'days/currently ...
View Quote

Thats generally BS.  Now if you go to sportsman warehouse, and buy 1 pound of powder, and 500 bullets, and 1k primers - Yes, that will NOT save you money.

If you buy smart, and go online, and buy in quantity, then the savings for something like 9mm can be 30-50%.  For 45acp and 223, its at least 40-50%.  Go into exotic calibers, and its no longer saving about money, its about shooting or not shooting.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a suppressor.  Reloading is boring as hell and if you screw up you'll blow yourself up.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Reloading setup all the way.

Sounds like at some point you will do it anyway and hopefully by then suppressors will be an over-the-counter purchase.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Get both.

Today. Buy a suppressor and send in the paperwork. While you wait start buying reloading equipment and supplies. By the time suppressor is approved you will have a reloading set up and a suppressor!!! Do it, do it now!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy a can, AND find a reloading mentor now!!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Reloading has a much higher ROI.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Reloading. Although you need a time commitment alongside the gear.

I really don't see a reason to suppress an AR although I have a Predator on mine, with supersonic loads it's just not all that much of a reduction.

A subsonic caliber or .22lr is where a suppressor gives you the most for your money. .
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So which would you guys do? I'm kinda leaning toward reloading as I would get more use out of it, but have always wanted a suppressor and it seems to be the right time to do it before 41f.
View Quote

I would get tools and components first.   The components in particular are prone to becoming unobtanium, and you're not reasonably going to be able to make your own when that happens.    Components are subject to issues with scarcity - cans are only subject to the whims of the government.

If you have a giant ammo fort already, though, then you may want to consider the can.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is something to seriously consider -

During the last few panics, EVERYONE was wiped on ammo and it was EXPENSIVE.  You could still find reloading components, even if you had to look a little bit.

Even then, a pound of powder takes up about as much room as a jar of mayonnaise and contains enough for about 1,000 rounds of pistol ammo or 300 rounds of rifle ammo.  1,000 primers take up the same amount of space as a 100 round bulk pack of pistol ammo.  It is trivial to stockpile enough supplies to last you through most any panic... and YES, IT IS CHEAPER.  

Silencers (that is what Hiram Percy Maxim called them) are, for practical purposes, range toys.  A reloading setup will keep you shooting.  You can't silence what you can't shoot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  While u are waiting, save the money, buy reloading components slowly until u have all of ur calibers covered
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've got both. If I could only have one it would be my Dillon 550b with plenty of components. Ear plugs are cheap.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Get both
View Quote
Great idea

I've been reloading for years now, and cannot own a suppressor, so get the suppressor for me

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
yep

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I would get the Suppressor now.

The process is fairly simple right now, especially for Trusts.

July will bring some changes that really don't favor trusts.

While you are waiting for the Suppressor in NFA Jail, you will be able to save up 1200 dollars to get a reloading set up.

If you are getting a pistol suppressor, get a 45...it will work for everything smaller..(I wouldn't recommend shooting .22 out of it)

If you are getting a rifle suppressor, I recommend getting a .30 cal size.  It will shoot everything smaller. (I wouldn't recommend shooting .22 out of it.)

I have an AAC M4-2000.  It works well with my AR-15's.  It does not suppress like the movies would make you believe it does.  But the difference is noticable.

I also have an AAC Ti-Rant 9mm.  It makes my 147 grain 9mm bullets sound like a damn pellet gun...It's a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So I've been wanting to get into reloading and also been thinking about buying a suppressor (I don't have either)

I've got $1000-$1200 to spend.

I can get everything I need to reload every caliber I own.

Or I could get a suppressor and tax stamp (thinking about a Silencerco Hybrid).

With the tax stamp changes coming up and with all my NFA stuff set up through a trust that includes me, the wife, and my parents once the 41f or what ever it is goes into affect it will be a bigger pain in the ass to get the suppressor.

Now my shooting spots are limited to an outdoor range 1+ hour away or indoor ranges local to me, either one I would have to wear ear protection at no matter if I had a suppressor or not....

The suppressor would get the most use on my AR-15's, it would live on the XDM that sits on top of my dresser for home defense purposes in case I ever had to use it everyone in the house wouldn't go deaf.

Thanks.

Eta spelling
View Quote

based on what you wrote there, I'd say the money would be better spent on a reloading setup.

I have suppressors, but the ONLY reason I do so is because it allows me to shoot in my backyard without disturbing people too much..If it wasn't for that I would not own any.

Also, be advised that reloading can be time consuming.  If you find yourself hard pressed to find time to go shooting anyway, you are probably better off just buying ammo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.  The only reason I ever see a real need for a suppressor is on a HD gun.

I have 6 or 7 suppressors (is it sad I don't know for sure?) and I rarely use them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Buy the suppressor. You MAY find value or enjoyment from reloading. However, you will find far more people "get out" of reloading than "get out" of suppressors. It is more likely to lose interest in the extra work reloading brings than losing interest in the joy shooting suppressed can bring.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am going with this.

Wat - You lost me - I am talking a tax stamp DIY Form 1 can that you build in the future after your stamp.

Just my .02, a suppressor is a fun expensive add on, a press and associated equipment will get you through potential lean times in the future for all your firearms when ammo availability becomes spotty.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#40]
To me, this isnt even a close call.  

Reloading is the correct answer.

Buy your components now, election times always create a high demand.  Currently, the supply is very good.

Hopefully you know someone local that can help you get started.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't understand all the suppressor hoopla, and no, I don't hate freedom.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
yep  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep  

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Do both, you can get started reloading for a moderate investment and add to it as needed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#44]
$1000? Get a Trust an build five (5) Suppressors! Get into reloading latter, after you start collecting free lead
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Get the can, and by the time it's approved you will have saved up enough to reload.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What are you going to suppress without ammunition?
View Quote

Yep.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Buy the supressor while the process is still easy. In the mean time, you can buy reloading equipment and components over time.

Then the money you save in reloading.

This is the cost for reloading .223 ammo for me
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#48]
If you like to shoot ALOT get a Dillion 650 for the common cailbers you shoot most.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Buy the suppressor. You MAY find value or enjoyment from reloading. However, you will find far more people "get out" of reloading than "get out" of suppressors. It is more likely to lose interest in the extra work reloading brings than losing interest in the joy shooting suppressed can bring.
View Quote

I don't enjoy either actually, however, reloading is far more important to continue using your firearms than a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I don't enjoy either actually, however, reloading is far more important to continue using your firearms than a suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't disagree with that. Reloading is certainly the more cost saving approach. Just looking at the likelihood each will actually be used.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top