User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 5:39:30 PM EDT
Way to go Australia!

Any US politicans listening?

headlines.sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13924046

Get out of Australia, 'radical' Muslims told

By Lawrence Bartlett in Sydney
Wednesday, 24 August , 2005, 13:11

Muslims who want to live under the Islamic Sharia law were told Wednesday to get out of Australia as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks. A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown.

Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state and its laws were made by parliament.

"If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you," he said on national television.

"I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia, one the Australian law and another the Islamic law, that that is false."

"If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts,democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country which practises it, perhaps, then, that's a better option," Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked move to the other country.

Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off".

"Basically, people who don't want to be Australians, and they don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then they can basically clear off," he said.
PM    Extremists

Muslim schools will have to denounce terrorism as part of an effort to stamp out home-grown extremism under measures announced after Howard's meeting with 14 Islamic leaders Tuesday.

The prime minister called the meeting in the wake of last month's London bombings by British-born Muslims, amid fears that Australia could be the target of a similar attack by disaffected members of its small Muslim community.

"The purpose of the meeting was to identify ways of preventing the emergence of any terrorist behaviour in this country," Howard told commercial radio Wednesday.

"You won't change the minds of people who are hardened fanatics and hardened extremists. You have to identify them and take measures to ensure that they don't become a problem."  

Asked if he was prepared to "get inside" mosques and schools to ensure there was no support for terrorism, Howard said: "Yes, to the extent necessary".

Britain, shaken by the rail and bus bombings which killed 56 people, is debating new powers which could include closing mosques where clerics are suspected of supporting extremists and deporting those who glorify suicide bombers.

Australia, which like Britain has troops in Iraq, is also contemplating tougher anti-terror legislation. which will be debated next month at a meeting between Howard and leaders of state governments.

Meanwhile, an Islamic youth organisation that was not invited to Howard's Tuesday meeting said it would call an alternative conference -- on September 11 -- for what it says is the 80 percent of Muslims who were not represented.

The Affinity Intercultural Foundation (AIF) told national radio it wants to try to change the date's association with Islamic violence, and to highlight how mainstream Muslims have become victims of prejudice and bias. (Then I suggest the AIF become part of the solution by ratting out terrorists, instead of hiding them.)

AIF director Mehmet Saral said Muslims were feeling more victimised than at any other time in their history of living in Australia. Some 300,000 Muslims make up just 1.5 percent of Australia's population of 20 million.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish we would do that here.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Fuckin A
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Good. Put the dogs out before they crap on your sofa.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
And they're monitoring mosques to make sure radical Islamism preaching violence isn't taught and encouraged.  For some reason, monitoring churches and synagogues was considered unecessary.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
never happen here, too fucking PC
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And they're monitoring mosques to make sure radical Islamism preaching violence isn't taught and encouraged.  For some reason, monitoring churches and synagogues was considered unecessary.

That's funny. Because I have never heard a preacher preaching hate in a church. Maybe where you go. But not up here in Michigan. I have NEVER heard one word about killing those that don't believe in being a Christian. Maybe back in the 1400's, but not today.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
GTFO!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's funny. Because I have never heard a preacher preaching hate in a church. Maybe where you go. But not up here in Michigan. I have NEVER heard one word about killing those that don't believe in being a Christian. Maybe back in the 1400's, but not today.

Me neither.  That's why the Australians aren't bugging churches, just mosques.  They dont want Muslim preachers creating suicide bombers like they have in England.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Lets here it for the Aussies. Common sense prevails.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lets here it for the Aussies. Common sense prevails.

To bad it doesn t prevail when it comes to guns!Still hats off to that speech.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
bullcrap. They're still pussies.  Any country that would work that hard to disarm their populace has got whatever they get PLUS some coming to them.

Since the disarming I find myself intensely disliking austrailia.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm.  Look it up sometime
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm.  Look it up sometime

With all the DU talk flying tonight, I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Booooyaaaa
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good. Put the dogs out before they crap on your sofa.

I like that.  I like that alot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Fuck being the president of Austraia-if he can forget about gun control I'd let him be an American President!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:36:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Why ASK them to leave?  Throw those bearded cocksuckers out !!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Yanks, aussies, kiwis, canuks, brits, and yes all of europe, (including the FRENCH), are all examples of Globalisation.  The Global Village.

For all our sakes, RESPECT YOUR NEIGHBOUR.

I have a muslim collegue. He is a regular guy.  We were talking 2-3 years ago, when all this shit started.  He said,  "...the basics of religion are the same....these murderers are not true muslims..."

Ah...the voice of reason.  Respect your neighbours and have appropriate laws to lock up, monitor, detain or deport those who hide behind the peaceful concepts of ALL religions.

We all have multi cultural societies. If certain folk are not going to respect our society and to preach war and terror then they need to fuck off to whereever they came from.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Words . . . just words.  They come cheap and mean only as much as the actions you are willing and able to put behind them.  I doubt that these words will have any effect whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Howard won pretty easily so the ones next in line see the writing on the wall. Cracking down on muslim terrorists is the winning strategy!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Words . . . just words.  They come cheap and mean only as much as the actions you are willing and able to put behind them.  I doubt that these words will have any effect whatsoever.

Perhaps so...but at least they had the cajones to utter them!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, we all know the Aussies won't be shooting them . . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#23]
And if they can make that decision, why not give the Aussies their gun rights back also, while they're at it!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top