Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 2:21:51 PM EDT
I have road runner cable for an ISP.

I cancelled my service for a couple of months.

Before the cancel, I was paying around $46 per month.

I had them come reconnect recently, and they charged me a $10 reconnect fee, but set my price at the "intro offer" of $35 per month for a year.

I told a friend at work about this, and he called rr and told them he wanted to cancel because $45/month was too expensive. They offered to let him have it at the "special offer" price of $35 per month for a year.

Might be worth seeing if you can pull a similar scam with your cable isp and get a discount.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
.. but it's not really a scam if they agree to a lower price up front. Simple negotiation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
.. but it's not really a scam if they agree to a lower price up front. Simple negotiation.

If it involves a cable company, it's merely a counter-scam, no matter what you do.

No industry in the U.S. is more corrupt than the cable tv industry...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Dude, you are full of shit.

I run a private cable company, there is no corruption going on in my company.
The corrupt sonsabitches are ESPN, FOX SPORTS, MTV...the programmers.
They are the persons responsible for your cable bill going up faster than the CPI every year.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Do what I do.. work for the cable company, and get everything for free. Genius!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are the persons responsible for your cable bill going up faster than the CPI every year.

define 'private cable company'.

Charter, Cox, and time warner oughta teach classes for up-and-coming crime bosses.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]

I leveraged Direct TV into giving me credit to buy a new dish and receivers.  I'd been a customer for many years when my equipment went tits up.  

I saw where they were giving free this and that to new customers. So, I called and told them I'd just cancel, and resubscribe to get the freebies unless they did something for me

They rolled after I told them the cable company offered to buy my dish.  

Competition is a good thing for the consumer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
My Road Runner is 45$, but my brother called in and they gave him 29.99$ for the first six months, i'm about to do the same. Since they weren't running that special when i signed up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Charter, Cox, and time warner oughta teach classes for up-and-coming crime bosses.....

My grandfather started the cable company in the town I live in back in 1953.
The town I live in is in a valley and the off air TV signals just fly over the mountains.
So he started a cable company and originaly we just offered 3 channels.  ABC, NBC, and CBS.
Then in the 70's when Satellite started up with Ted Turner, we started pulling channels off Satellite and offering them to subs.

My father ran the business until 1994 when I took over.
We have been in business for over 50 years,  many more years than Charter, Cox, etc.

Once again, it's not the Cable Companies fault that the damn programmers raise their rates double digits every year.

ESPN raised my rates 58 cents for 2005.  I am no paying them $3.22 just for ESPN.  That was a 20% increase over last year.  Thats just for 1 channel.

MTV Networks just sent me my new contracts today as a matter of fact, they want almost double next year what I have been paying them this year...thats almost 100% increase.

The programmers are the people who are gouging the customers, not the cable companies.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have been in business for over 50 years,  many more years than Charter, Cox, etc.

Once again, it's not the Cable Companies fault that the damn programmers raise their rates double digits every year.

ESPN raised my rates 58 cents for 2005.   Thats just for 1 channel.   MTV Networks just sent me my new contracts today as a matter of fact, they want almost double next year what I have been paying them this year.

The programmers are the people who are gouging the customers, not the cable companies.

Who's fault is it that cable companies have such horrid customer service, technical support, business relationships with other utilities, and the agressive monopolistic mindsets wherby they use every resource imagineable to block new entries into their markets?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ESPN raised my rates 58 cents for 2005.   Thats just for 1 channel.   MTV Networks just sent me my new contracts today as a matter of fact, they want almost double next year what I have been paying them this year.

Who's fault is it that cable companies have such horrid customer service, technical support, business relationships with other utilities, and the agressive monopolistic mindsets wherby they use every resource imagineable to block new entries into their markets?

Yep they suck
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't speak for other cable companies...just my own.

I have my new connects done same day.   Is that bad service?
I have worked many weekends, holidays, etc to make sure my customers have a good signal.

Block New Entries into Markets?

I don't get this.  How are cable companies blocking new entries into their markets?
Any company can come and overbuild a cable company....you know why it doesn't happen?
Because there isn't enough business out there to support two cable companies in a town.
Especially with DISH and DIRECTTV offering video services.

I can hardley make it now trying to compete with satellite.
The programmers give big discounts to DISH and DIRECT TV, but charge higher rates to us little companies.   ESPN only charges about $2.00 to DISH and DIRECT TV, but because they can they charge me $3.22...so I am subsidizing my competition.   Thats what is bullshit about the whole thing.

Congress needs to pass a law forcing the programmers to have a uniform rate card and charge everybody the same.

Plus Satellite TV doesn't pay franchise fees to the local cities...7% of my gross receipts goes to the city every month to help support the local library, pools, etc.

You wonder why your cable bill goes up every year, well these are some of the reasons.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
After years of dialup woes I finally switched to cable yesterday.  Since I've been shafted by sbc for so long, I did the cable telephone thing too.   Since Directv sucks these days, I added one of the lower plans there too. I'm sending the last bill to show me as a satellite customer within the last 30 days and the cable company is giving me a $20/mo  break for 11 months to go along with the package deal.

My results are that I pay $15 less for all three together than I was separately and getting more/better services to boot
.  In 6 mos  roadrunner goes to $39 but I figure I'm set for the next year anyway.
I do like that average of almost 3mbps down I've been getting today !

Rip
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have worked many weekends, holidays, etc to make sure my customers have a good signal.

I don't get this.  How are cable companies blocking new entries into their markets?
Any company can come and overbuild a cable company....you know why it doesn't happen?
Because there isn't enough business out there to support two cable companies in a town.

The programmers give big discounts to DISH and DIRECT TV, but charge higher rates to us little companies.   ESPN only charges about $2.00 to DISH and DIRECT TV, but because they can they charge me $3.22...so I am subsidizing my competition.   Thats what is bullshit about the whole thing.

Congress needs to pass a law forcing the programmers to have a uniform rate card and charge everybody the same.

Plus Satellite TV doesn't pay franchise fees to the local cities, pole rental fees to the power companies, etc.

You wonder why your cable bill goes up every year, well these are some of the reasons.

*I* do not have a cable bill, so I don't have to worry about where it goes. I have a dish.

Your little cable company may be top-notch. I'll be happy to take your word for it. However, the major players are all I have said, and then some.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, congress passing a law to fix prices would be a geat idea. How do you feel about a la carte?

How many subscribers do you have have? Dontcha think that might account for the price diff between you and Dish.DTV?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus Satellite TV doesn't pay franchise fees to the local cities, pole rental fees to the power companies, etc.

*I* do not have a cable bill, so I don't have to worry about where it goes. I have a dish.

Your little cable company may be top-notch. I'll be happy to take your word for it. However, the major players are all I have said, and then some.

I know the big cable companies have a bad reputation, I know it's almost a national sport to hate your cable company....but you know who beats that drum don't you....DISH and DIRECT TV

I hope you enjoy your dish, they are really just a one trick pony.   VIDEO and thats it.
And Cable is still the best and most advanced delivery system out there...whether you know it or not.

Thanks for the discussion, I am really pissed today because MTV is jacking their rates up once again and I needed to vent.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, congress passing a law to fix prices would be a geat idea. How do you feel about a la carte?

How many subscribers do you have have? Dontcha think that might account for the price diff between you and Dish.DTV?

I love a la carte...I hate being forced to charge some little old lady $3.22 for ESPN when she never watches it....but ESPN says I have to carry it on basic or I can't carry it at all.
ESPN and the other programmers know this and thats why they don't want a la carte.
They know they would lose a lot of money overnight from people who don't want to pay for their overpriced crap.

Sports programming fees are out of control now and there is a train wreck coming with the programmers and they way they are doing business.
I don't know what will happen, but I know consumers are fed up with the way things have been going.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I know the big cable companies have a bad reputation, I know it's almost a national sport to hate your cable company....but you know who beats that drum don't you....DISH and DIRECT TV

I hope you enjoy your dish, they are really just a one trick pony.   VIDEO and thats it.
And Cable is still the best and most advanced delivery system out there...whether you know it or not.

Thanks for the discussion, I am really pissed today because MTV is jacking their rates up once again and I needed to vent.

Go ahead and vent.....I've already hijacked the thread, you might as well vent. As for who beats that drum......see what the better business bureau has to say about charter communications.

I had to deal with them in a very antagonistic environment.......and they left a poor impression, to say the least.

When the CEO of the local Charter office calls me an incompetent liar to my face, in front of a large number of my peers, in an effort to hide his company's illegal and unsafe practices, I tend to remember it..........

I also remember proving *him* to be the liar about 30 seconds later, and watching him back-shuffle to avoid further conflict.

P.S.

I LOVE community broadband. Fiber-optic cable rocks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

When the CEO of the local Charter office calls me an incompetent liar to my face, in front of a large number of my peers, in an effort to hide his company's illegal and unsafe practices, I tend to remember it..........

P.S.

I LOVE community broadband. Fiber-optic cable rocks!

The customer is always right....even if they really are wrong.
Thats something I have always remembered.

Thats why media consolidation is such a bad thing....these companies get so big and forget the most basic things like customer service and customer relations.

I gotta go...thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top