Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2004 10:19:28 PM EDT
WHAT THE FUCK?!?

www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article901629.ece

German claims to have voted in US election

A bureaucratic mix-up after getting a US drivers license while studying in South Carolina has gotten out of hand for a young German man. First he was told that was registed with the US military, then he received an absentee ballot for the 2004 presidential election.

"I tried to get out of it," he said. Now studying in Oslo, the German citizen with a German passport wishes to remain anonymous, fearing reprisals from US authorities.

While studying in South Carolina in 1997 the man got a US driving license. Recently, while on a trip to the USA, he took the opportunity to renew his license and was told he was on military lists.

To clear up the misunderstanding he took his German passport and visa to the immigration office but was told that this didn't prove that he wasn't an American citizen - in fact, they assumed he must be one to be on the lists.

The German was then advised to register to vote - the system would then reveal that he was not on citizenship lists and the case would be solved. He asked for his vote to be sent to Europe, and expected the matter to end there.

But the absentee ballot arrived in the post and the German decided to vote for John Kerry. This may have been a big mistake.

"When they have me registered in the military then I should be able to vote," he said.

This depends on who is convinced he is a citizen. Kathy Perez at the US embassy in Oslo said that, on general grounds, voting without being an American citizen is considered a very serious crime.

Perez told Aftenposten that voting includes signing a declaration that one is an American citizen, and document forgery is committed if this is untrue.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]

When they have me registered in the military then I should be able to vote," he said.

BS, this kraut is just trying to get attention with a made up story. Obviously no one else can register you for the military, and even if they could, how would the DMV know about it?

Recently, while on a trip to the USA, he took the opportunity to renew his license and was told he was on military lists.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit, they think he's an American citizen.  He should get himself on the welfare rolls and take out some huge loans and then leave for home in a few years.  

No, I'm not serious.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shit, they think he's an American citizen.  He should get himself on the welfare rolls and take out some huge loans and then leave for home in a few years.  

No, I'm not serious.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Burocracys fuck up but this I never heard of......
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Reads to me like the little ass deliberately tried to see how far he could defraud the system.
utility bill for proof of residence gets you a Driver's License in many states, withOUT proof of Citizenship.
And S. Carolina is a motor-voter state, hence the voter registration.
The Selective Service ting he had to have done himself - for that matter he had to do ALL of it himself.

Several kinds of fraud perpetrated. Little bastard should go on the HomelandSec / INS lists and be rejected for all future entry into the country. And have this false identity he's built thoroughly purged.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Voter fraud really pisses me off. for about 10 seconds...

then the cycnicism regains control...

Still, he should serve time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Bullshit.

While studying in South Carolina in 1997 the man got a US driving license. Recently, while on a trip to the USA, he took the opportunity to renew his license and was told he was on military lists.

First of all, we HAVE military lists?

Second of all, the DMV people have access to these magical lists?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When my fiancée went to get her driver's license renewed they asked her if she wanted to register to vote.  She asked what ID she would need to show and they said none.  She asked "So I just fill this out and they will send me the voter card?"  They said yes.

She is a Moroccan citizen here on a student visa.

She really wants to vote and I had to literatly tell her no.

Since my wife is brown she gets asked multiple times to register to vote every time she goes to the DMV.  They never, ever ask me to register to vote there.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top