Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 8:06:12 AM EDT
My wife's uncle might be giving me a WWII bring-back Browning.   Can someone tell me about the German Brownings?  He said he would give it to me but I would like to offer him some money for it.  Any idea on cost? I haven't seen the pistol so I don't know it's condition.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on a lot of things...if it is a Hi-Power (P.35), if it is an early (stock attachment iron and adjustable sights), mid (adjustable sight) or late (no attachment, or adjustable sight) type.

Also, it could be a Browning Model 1922....

Hi-Powers can be up there in price I paid $550 for mine, and it is the late type (non-adjustable sights, no stock attachment piece)...the early ones can go $900 and up. Does it have a proper holster in good condition? Add another $125 or so....

Model 1922's run around $300 or so, again depending on type and whats with it. Also caliber dependant as these came in 7,65mm (.32) and 9mmK (.380). The 9mmK guns bring a bit of a premium.

My Model 1922 came from a family friend, his father got it from a Luft pilot after the surrender. It was a Dutch contract gun, captured and issued by the Germans, then captured by an American. It came in a Luft Theuermann or drop holster, with the capture papers. It is one of the coolest pieces in my collection.

If he is offering it to you, my advice is to take it with many thanks. He is probably happy it will be going to someone who will appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
a lot of those nazi produce hi-powers are not safe to shoot, the Belgian plant workers sabotaged a lot of them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
a lot of those nazi produce hi-powers are not safe to shoot, the Belgian plant workers sabotaged a lot of them.

Ditto on that, there was an extensive story on FN in the NRA's American Rifleman.  If it is going to be shot, I would definetely try to locate a gunsmith with P35/Hi-Power expertise and have it checked.

But think he just trying to ascertain the value of the gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto on that, there was an extensive story on FN in the NRA's American Rifleman.  If it is going to be shot, I would definetely try to locate a gunsmith with P35/Hi-Power expertise and have it checked.

But think he just trying to ascertain the value of the gun.

There are some Hi-Powers that were captured from Canadians that are fine… like the Norwegian capture 1911s the Germans used.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]
He said he fired it about 15 years ago but I would probably have it checked to be sure.

We started talking about 9mm guns he said he had one then offered to give it to me since he hasn't shot it in a long time.    He's  82 and bought the gun for $5.00 from a Army Capt. that needed money shortly after the war.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top