Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/14/2018 12:34:55 PM EDT
So I was a police officer for a very short time back in 2011-2012 and moved out of state due to the military. I have now moved back permanently to GA. I decided to contact the Georgia Post council on a whim and found out my license is still active. They only recommended I take some refreshers on current law ect.

Now if I decide to go back into Policing will there be any real benifit since I have been out of it for so long? In my mind I figure if I even get hired I would have to go back to a academy anyways.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:36:13 PM EDT
Only you can decide that. If you want to do it again, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:45:04 PM EDT
You will not have to go back through the academy but you will have to pay a bullshit fee to POST for the gap in service and you will have to shoot a qual score.
Where are you in GA?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:50:17 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jakoury256:
You will not have to go back through the academy but you will have to pay a bullshit fee to POST for the gap in service and you will have to shoot a qual score.
Where are you in GA?
View Quote
South East Fayette county. Shooting shouldn’t be bad as I have been doing yearly qual on the Federal firearms test. I will have to call POST today and ask about the fee.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:33:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Blackcat360:

South East Fayette county. Shooting shouldn’t be bad as I have been doing yearly qual on the Federal firearms test. I will have to call POST today and ask about the fee.
View Quote
I can't remember if it is $200 or $200 for each year.

POST is still fucked up. We hired a guy a few months ago that had been out for 3 years. POST made me have him shoot the qual course for each year he was out
So he shot the course 3 times back to back, like his shooting then was somehow related to what he would have done in years past.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:53:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jakoury256:

I can't remember if it is $200 or $200 for each year.

POST is still fucked up. We hired a guy a few months ago that had been out for 3 years. POST made me have him shoot the qual course for each year he was out
So he shot the course 3 times back to back, like his shooting then was somehow related to what he would have done in years past.
View Quote
Wow that’s a good blanket rule that doesn’t make sense 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:25:25 PM EDT
You won’t be required to go back to the academy so long as your certification is still in good standing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:23:17 AM EDT
Even if POST and/or the PD doesn't require it I'd probably recommend brushing up on recent changes to search / seizure case law - a lot can change in ~5 years. Use of force stuff, too. The basics are going to be pretty much the same - but the fine lines around the edges are always moving around a bit. Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 4:57:18 PM EDT
Thanks for the responses. I have started applying to a couple departments to get the process going.
Top Top