Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2018 12:34:55 PM EDT
So I was a police officer for a very short time back in 2011-2012 and moved out of state due to the military. I have now moved back permanently to GA. I decided to contact the Georgia Post council on a whim and found out my license is still active. They only recommended I take some refreshers on current law ect.

Now if I decide to go back into Policing will there be any real benifit since I have been out of it for so long? In my mind I figure if I even get hired I would have to go back to a academy anyways.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Only you can decide that. If you want to do it again, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You will not have to go back through the academy but you will have to pay a bullshit fee to POST for the gap in service and you will have to shoot a qual score.
Where are you in GA?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will not have to go back through the academy but you will have to pay a bullshit fee to POST for the gap in service and you will have to shoot a qual score.
Where are you in GA?
View Quote
South East Fayette county. Shooting shouldn’t be bad as I have been doing yearly qual on the Federal firearms test. I will have to call POST today and ask about the fee.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

South East Fayette county. Shooting shouldn’t be bad as I have been doing yearly qual on the Federal firearms test. I will have to call POST today and ask about the fee.
View Quote
I can't remember if it is $200 or $200 for each year.

POST is still fucked up. We hired a guy a few months ago that had been out for 3 years. POST made me have him shoot the qual course for each year he was out
So he shot the course 3 times back to back, like his shooting then was somehow related to what he would have done in years past.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can't remember if it is $200 or $200 for each year.

POST is still fucked up. We hired a guy a few months ago that had been out for 3 years. POST made me have him shoot the qual course for each year he was out
So he shot the course 3 times back to back, like his shooting then was somehow related to what he would have done in years past.
View Quote
Wow that’s a good blanket rule that doesn’t make sense 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You won’t be required to go back to the academy so long as your certification is still in good standing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Even if POST and/or the PD doesn't require it I'd probably recommend brushing up on recent changes to search / seizure case law - a lot can change in ~5 years.  Use of force stuff, too.  The basics are going to be pretty much the same - but the fine lines around the edges are always moving around a bit.  Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses. I have started applying to a couple departments to get the process going.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:28:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The waivers are based on when you were certified year wise.  You will have to complete whatever FTO the hiring agency but should not have to re-attend the Academy if you were previously GAPOST certified.

Per GAPOST:
"If a peace officer works one calendar day in any year or if you received a peace officer certification after January 1, 2012, the officer is required to complete the annual training for the calendar year. Peace officers that received their peace officer certification after January 1, 2012 are required to get the annual training even if they are not employed to maintain their certification."

Here is the POST help desk # if you need it.  (770) 732-5604 or email to: [email protected].
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top