Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/8/2002 8:52:19 AM EDT
Here's a very interesting Newsweek article by George Will about the hypocrisy of tree-hugging lunatics: [url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/744644.asp[/url] You read this; I'm going out to convert gunpowder into greenhouse gasses . . .
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:24:27 AM EDT
"Some environmentalism is a feel-good indulgence for an era of energy abundance, which means an era of avoided choices. Or ignored choices—ignored because if acknowledged, they would not make the choosers feel good. Karl Zinsmeister, editor in chief of The American Enterprise magazine, imagines an oh-so-green environmentalist enjoying the most politically correct product on the planet—Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. Made in a factory that depends on electricity-guzzling refrigeration, a gallon of ice cream requires four gallons of milk. While making that much milk, a cow produces eight gallons of manure, and flatulence with another eight gallons of methane, a potent “greenhouse” gas. And the cow consumes lots of water plus three pounds of grain and hay, which is produced with tractor fuel, chemical fertilizers, herbicides and insecticides, and is transported with truck or train fuel: “So every time he digs into his Cherry Garcia, the conscientious environmentalist should visualize (in addition to world peace) a pile of grain, water, farm chemicals, and energy inputs much bigger than his ice cream bowl on one side of the table, and, on the other side of the table, a mound of manure eight times the size of his bowl, plus a balloon of methane that would barely fit under the dining room table.” Cherry Garcia. It’s a choice. Bon appetit."
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:27:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 9:30:38 AM EDT by ThunderStick]
Nice link, BlammO. The environmentalist whackos can't see the forest for the trees. They can't see their hypocrisy (e.g. the Cherry Garcia ice cream example) and they spread disinformation about oil reserves. If the demos and enviros didn't prevent oil exploration and recovery (as well as coal usage) here in the USA, we could tell Saudi Arabia, et al, to go F themselves. Technology has shown that there is far more oil out there than people think. I remember being in seventh grade when a future enviro ignoramus classmate got up and said that we would run out of oil by the year 2000. Global COOLING at that time (1972) was the enviro boogeyman. The enviros are consistently wrong yet the media doesn't call them on their stupidity. Remember when Saddam set the Kuwaiti oil wells on fire and Carl Sagan (moron) went to the media and said that it would take years to put out the fires and that there would be famine and long term weather changes and irreversible damage to the whole region (from the smoke)? Some professor from the University of Virginia (this professor and Sagan were both on Nightline one evening) stated that NOTHING bad would happen, and that RAIN would clear things up and the fires would be out within weeks. Julian Simon (he died last year) has a great book called "The State of Humanity" which goes over this and related topics (About technology and free markets and how life has improved and will keep improving). He made a public bet (1970 or so)with environmentalists and Paul Erlich (I believe who accepted the bet) author of "The Population Bomb" that there would be MORE food, MORE oil, MORE trees and that the world standard of living would increase and population growth rate would start DECREASING (it has, Germany has negative pop growth and Japan does too). Erlich admitted he lost, but he claims what he believes will still happen (what an idiot).
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:23:29 PM EDT
I'm glad there are people like George Will who can cut through the BS and give us a picture of what the world is really like. If the whackos were [i][u]really[/u][/i] interested in making the world a better place, they could start by eliminating high-profile pathological liars. Then there would be no Bill Clinton, no Al Gore, no Hillary Clinton, no Yasser Arafat, no Saddam Hussein, no Jesse Jackson, no Al Sharpton, no Janet Reno, no Ralph Nader, no Benny Hinn, no Al Franken, no Dennis Miller . . . well, you get the picture. Unfortunately, we might never hear about it because a big chunk of the media would be gone. I have no time for liars or the willfully ignorant. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:39:25 PM EDT
Very nice article. The State of Humanity IIRC is an update on the data trends given in The Ultimate Resource 2. I highly recommend reading original first; it does a far better job of explaining the how and why. Ehrlich and two colleagues bet on copper, chrome, nickel, tin, and tungsten and a ten-year period. "At settling time in September 1990, not only the sum of the prices, but also the price of each individual metal, had fallen." Ehrlich still claims he is correct, but has refused to renew the wager.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:42:08 PM EDT
While looking up the details of the wager I noticed this: In 1970 Paul Ehrlich wrote, "If I were a gambler, I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000."
Top Top