Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/5/2005 8:55:03 AM EDT
Crossposted on Survival Forum...

French Quarter Holdouts Create 'Tribes'
Jack Jones, a retired oil rig worker, bought a huge generator and stocked up on gasoline. But after hearing automatic gunfire on the next block one night, he became too afraid to use it - for fear of drawing attention.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:56:27 AM EDT
Sounds like keeping it quiet might be a decent idea. Any ideas on making one whisper quiet?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:57:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Crossposted on Survival Forum...

French Quarter Holdouts Create 'Tribes'
Jack Jones, a retired oil rig worker, bought a huge generator and stocked up on gasoline. But after hearing automatic gunfire on the next block one night, he became too afraid to use it - for fear of drawing attention.

He needed this also:

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:00:44 AM EDT
I always chain mine to my truck or something. (we've had a lot of power failures in my neighborhood. ) God help anyone that tries to take it.

As far as New Oleans, the term "overlapping fields of fire" comes to mind.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:10:12 AM EDT
You have to be ready to use deadly force.

Those who were not prepared WILL try to take your stuff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:14:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By weptek911:
I always chain mine to my truck or something. (we've had a lot of power failures in my neighborhood. ) God help anyone that tries to take it.

As far as New Oleans, the term "overlapping fields of fire" comes to mind.

Where are you from?

Here, chains are for the honest people
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:14:22 AM EDT
I dont have a house yet (nor do I have a family, GF, and I dont live anywhere near where I want to raise a family but I still agree.

Deadly force is authorized in a SHTF senerio to protect your stuff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:22:58 AM EDT
We've gone over all this stuff in the Survival Forum.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:31:29 AM EDT
External flood lights might help.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:34:06 AM EDT

Where are you from?

Here, chains are for the honest people

Ann Arbor, MI area.

Same here as far as honest people. Rifle is for the dishonest ones.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:38:54 AM EDT
Gennies have small mufflers to make them acceptably quiet, but they are quite loud.
A cheap car muffler, jerry rigged to the end of the genny exhaust would make it pretty quiet I think at low cost.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:44:04 AM EDT
One of my favorite 10KW gensets is called a MEP-003A. It is an air cooled diesel and they run forever, the problem is they are noisy and they have no mufflers. You can hear them a mile away on a quiet night. If I owned a personal one, I'd muffle it and put it in an insulated shed to quiet it down. The problem with that is that it will get hot and has to little air flow. Then you have to waste some juice running a fan to pump air thru the shed. You see where this is going.

New Tactical quiet generators and larger commerical generators have sound deadening that makes them as quiet as a car idling at full load, the problem is that this is pretty expensive. Some of the shrouds can cost a small fortune. A small Honda with a good muffler sitting behind a wall or with plywood around it can be pretty damn quiet.

No matter what you do, the zombies will be drawn to the light. If I was running a genset, I'd use it for refridgeration, emergency lighting and power. Outside security lights will only keep you secure for so long, they can be seen for miles and in the case of New Orleans, they attract the worst element to your area. Then they simply illuminate the masses of scumbags as they attack and kill you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:48:28 AM EDT
Making it quiet would probably not help much if someone sees the LIGHTS on in your home.

Lights= electricity=generator=gasoline=you getting robbed.

I did run the generator for three days during Alica when it came through Houston when I lived there. No problems then, although times have changed. Yet another reason to live in the country.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:06:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fook:
Making it quiet would probably not help much if someone sees the LIGHTS on in your home.

I did run the generator for three days during Alica when it came through Houston when I lived there. No problems then, although times have changed. Yet another reason to live in the country.

I disagree with you pardner...

Lights = Electricity = Generator = Gasolne = Prepared Person = Very Ample FirePower = You DO NOT want to Fnck with ME!! Ie go find some soft victim elsewhere!

Want to rally your neighbors to stand firm for your homes? Best way to do that is by having some electricity for radio, lights, recharging batteries, refrigeration, ect...

Having lights for the perimeter would be very helpful after dark to keep the creeps at distance.

[think Chuck Heston in "The Omega Man!!!")

Keeping a Field of Fire with suitable Distance works for the defender.

Being able to creep close undercover of night works for the attackers (gang, mob, looters, zombies, whatever....)

Notice that Houston did not have the loot-a-fest that New Orleans did.

Hummm - Wonder why not?

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:07:08 AM EDT
After Andrew my late brother-in-law's single generator was supplemented by two I brought down.

We sandbagged them for noise reduction (former mech-heads will know the drill) and kept the house in "blackout mode".

Looters were deterred by our armament.

Honda's are pretty quiet. Diesel is quieter (and less maintenance intensive) than gas.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fook:

Good point. Yes, some may be deterred by the though of your firepower. Then, there will be enough others who will want to test you. Avoidance is the better course. I'd use the generator for refrigeration and a small room air conditioner. That accomplishes two things: one, allows a smaller generator, whcih will run longer on the same fuel, and is easily quieted; second, a small a/c (I wouldn't want to run the central a/c) will make the humidity bearable in a selected room, and can be quieter. Given the idea of someone observing my "more comfortable" status. I'd probably rig a switch so I can cut it in a second if I see someone coming.

Lights could be used in an internal room, or use blackout precautions - black curtains, etc.

As much as I feel I should be able to stand up to things, this has become a collectivist society. I'd probably have the national guard at my house to commandeer what I have "for the greater good."
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:28:21 AM EDT
Use black-out curtains in one or two rooms. Direct the exaust up and use a muffler. Use a containment wall. There are generators for apartments and the like that are built to be quiet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:52:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 10:53:39 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
I wouldn't go too nuts trying to keep all light in. Lots of people who don't have power are still going to have candles, oil lamps, and flashlights. Some light coming from the home will not be unusual. Just don't have a bunch of overhead lights on. One lamp on a table in the middle of each occupied room is plenty of light, and it saves power anyway.

If you're trying to make it look like no one's home, that's another matter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:14:38 AM EDT
When I cranked up the generator for the first time after Hurricane Bertha, I felt really self conscience about it. With the power out, you could hear a pin drop from the other end of the neighborhood. Cranking up that generator was like a gigantic beacon that screamed "come leach off of me".

My dad had similar experiences when a tornado hit his neighborhood in Michigan. He told me that if you didn't chain the thing down, thieves would just brazenly steal the thing from under your nose.

Here along the gulf coast, after all of these recent hurricanes, it seems as if almost everyone has a generator. So, it ought not to be a problem for me anymore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:20:57 AM EDT
With all of this stuff going on, I thinking about getting a nice 5500 watt Honda gen. to run a refridgerator, radio, battery charger, and a few small lights, and a electric hotplate to cook and boil water with. I would not have it on all the time. I would plan it out to use it a few times a day to cook and run the fridge for a few hours, then turn it off. I have tons of candles for light, and rechargable batteries for flashlights.

I wonder how much gas I should keep in jerry cans for it. Perhaps 15-20gal? I have three cars and they usually have full tanks, so I could always get extra gas from them if needed, except for the car I plan to bug out in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:25:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 11:26:17 AM EDT by Winston_Wolf]

Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
With all of this stuff going on, I thinking about getting a nice 5500 watt Honda gen ...

... Me too, I'm buying a tri-power (uses natural gas, gasoline and propane) because I have NG piped to the home. My plan would be to utilize that source of fuel as long as I can until it gets shut off. Who knows how long that would be, but I've never had it shut down in the 18 years I've been here.

... More details on the specific generator I'm appropriating here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=384945
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:26:55 AM EDT
Mines old, but you can rebuild the thing with duct tape and wire pliers. Also takes about 10 people to move it , uses same engine as the red belly ford tractor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:37:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GySgtD:
Cranking up that generator was like a gigantic beacon that screamed "come leach off of me".

I don't mind a neighbor dropping by with his hand out...as long as he has a full gas can in the other one. True neighbors help each other out, and don't expect to get something for nothing. The nice thing about barter is you don't need a functional ATM to use it.

IMO, running a generator overnight just reflects poor planning - The fridge and freezer won't defrost over a 8-10 hour period (especially since no one is opening it overnight), and a well-chilled room will stay cool and dehumidifed enough to stay reasonably comfortable overnight. There is simply no good reason why after-dark lighting and entertainment can't be handled with battery power.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:55:21 AM EDT
The NO scenario has given me a graphic lesson in what might be expected following a disaster. I had thought that a long term survival scenario would bring out the worst / beast in people but I was surprised at how quickly the SHTF in NO.

As a result, this has changed my thinking regarding post disaster survival (even in the very short term). As I read this thread, it occurs to me that generators and lights might be used as bait for a trap / ambush to eliminate the hostiles.

Watching the reactions of the folks in NO as compared to AL and MS, the NO immediate aftermath may be extraordinary and might be viewed as such. My future planning, however, will now include preparations to "go ugly early" if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:57:11 AM EDT
We insulated the shed we keep ours in and it stays pretty quiet. The house is another matter, like a gaint beacon on a hill. And we have a solar backup so that even when the generators off, the lights wil stay on.

Need to pickup blackout curtains.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:09:43 PM EDT
At my house we have a 6500 watt Honda liquid-cooled generator that runs 30 amps 120/240 Volts. It ran day and night for 5 days. I have 2 refrigerators, a deep freezer, air conditioning, etc. You just plug the generator in, throw the transfer switch to come off the power grid and your house works just like nothing has happened. I used about 7-8 gallons of regular gas every 24 hours. (I always have about 50 gallons of reserve fuel available all year long so I wasn't hit by the sudden overwhelming demand for gas.)

I understand FEMA will reimburse you 100% if you purchased a generator. They did that last year for Ivan. I purchased mine back in 1999 for the Y2K fiasco that never happened. I knew it would come in real handy one day.

Lawdog
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:14:10 PM EDT
I would not be in any way afraid to use mine. I would also not be afraid in any way to protect it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:16:34 PM EDT
Tagged
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:10:39 PM EDT
An excerpt from a recent NYT story pasted here:

Some frightened homeowners took security into their own hands.

John Carolan was sitting on his porch in the thick, humid darkness just before midnight Tuesday when three or four young men, one with a knife and another with a machete, stopped in front of his fence and pointed to the generator humming in the front yard, he said.

One said, "We want that generator," he recalled.

"I fired a couple of rounds over their heads with a .357 Magnum," Mr. Carolan recounted Wednesday. "They scattered."

He smiled and added, "You've heard of law west of the Pecos. This is law west of Canal Street."
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:26:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Saguaro:
An excerpt from a recent NYT story pasted here:

Some frightened homeowners took security into their own hands.

John Carolan was sitting on his porch in the thick, humid darkness just before midnight Tuesday when three or four young men, one with a knife and another with a machete, stopped in front of his fence and pointed to the generator humming in the front yard, he said.

One said, "We want that generator," he recalled.

"I fired a couple of rounds over their heads with a .357 Magnum," Mr. Carolan recounted Wednesday. "They scattered."

He smiled and added, "You've heard of law west of the Pecos. This is law west of Canal Street."

Dumbass. He should have shot all three of them dead.

Armed thugs brazenly confronting people demanding their property just need a killun'.

They probably weren't deterred and instead just preyed on others instead. And they COULD have returned, with more numbers and more firepower.

He really should have shot them.
Top Top