Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/25/2006 12:16:57 PM EDT
1.  If you're going up a long, steep hill, push down harder on the gas pedal. This will help you maintain at least most of your speed.

2. If you're about to turn, don't stop on the road, turn on your signal and then start accelerating to make your turn.

3. If you want to glance over at something while you're driving, don't slow down and don't drift into other lanes.

4. If you've completed your lane change, turn off your turn signal.

5. When getting onto the interstate, it is very rare that you should do so while applying your brakes. (There's a reason that's called the acceleration lane).

6. As you're driving along, don't speed up when someone tries to pass you.

7. If you're on the highway and approaching an entrance ramp, look over to see whether there are cars coming. If so, either adjust your speed to let them in, or change lanes so that the right lane is clear for them.

8. If you go under a bridge, don't brake for the shadow.

9. If you've gone under the bridge mentioned above, don't brake when you see the sunshine again as you emerge on the other side.

10. If you're crossing over a bridge, don't brake as you enter or leave the bridge.

11. Don't brake for green lights.

12. Always brake for red lights.

13. When the light is red, keep watching so you'll have some clue when it turns green.

14. When the light turns green, go!

15. Don't throw your trash out the window of your vehicle.

16. Don't flick your cigarette out the window, nor empty your ashtray out the window.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I always slow down for green lights and I always take an extra second or two before entering an intersection after a light changes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Burley:  Those are good words to live by.  I've seen many people run the red lights, and IF you were there, you would have been t-boned/broadsided.  Not fun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
7. If you're on the highway and approaching an entrance ramp, look over to see whether there are cars coming. If so, either adjust your speed to let them in, or change lanes so that the right lane is clear for them.

Unless you're a trucker, then simply ignore any other vehicle on the road since physics is on your side.  RAWR HULK SMASH MURDER DEATH KILL!!!1
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
2. If you're about to turn, don't stop on the road, turn on your signal and then start accelerating to make your turn

you actually accelerate while taking turns?  Where I'm from, making a tight 90 degree turn at 55+ mph usually results in a car crash.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Ha!  You just got back from a vacation down here in Houston, didn't ya!

Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2. If you're about to turn, don't stop on the road, turn on your signal and then start accelerating to make your turn

you actually accelerate while taking turns?  Where I'm from, making a tight 90 degree turn at 55+ mph usually results in a car crash.

NO, he's telling you what NOT to do; viz., stop, turn on signal, and turn.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
You forgot the most important freeway driving tip. Maintain your proper following distance. Stop and go 'Slinkies' are caused not by slow drivers but by drivers crowding and not allowing for compression of the traffic.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you're a trucker, then simply ignore any other vehicle on the road since physics is on your side.  RAWR HULK SMASH MURDER DEATH KILL!!!1

State of California law requires trucks to do 55mph maximum, and operate in the right hand lane.

You don't like trucks in your way, elect different asshats to legislature!  

Same thing goes for the rest of the country...  you expect me to just hop my 80,000 pound rig over a lane just so you can get on the big road?  Guess what, it is standard rules of the road that continuing traffic has the right of way.  YOU are merging, I'm going in a straight line.

DEAL WITH IT.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
It amazes me at how many morons are on the road.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

State of California law requires trucks to do 55mph maximum, and operate in the right hand lane.

Same thing goes for the rest of the country...  you expect me to just hop my 80,000 pound rig over a lane just so you can get on the big road?  Guess what, it is standard rules of the road that continuing traffic has the right of way.  YOU are merging, I'm going in a straight line.

DEAL WITH IT.  

Give 'em HELL Nationwide!!!

Travis
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Tip to myself- roll up windows so i dont get hit in the eye by a rock kicked up by a semi again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget, make your sandwich, smack your kids around, read the newspaper, and rub one out before leaving the house
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Tip to myself- roll up windows so i dont get hit in the eye by a rock kicked up by a semi again.

There's all kinds of stuff you gotta watch out for.

This one time, at truck driver camp, a big goober bug got caught in the airstream around my mirror, and hit the inside of my glasses (left lens).

That was just gross
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Don't forget, make your sandwich, smack your kids around, read the newspaper, and rub one out before leaving the house

Ladies, feel free to ignore this.

The road can be boring and lonesome.  You do what you gotta do.  And, uh... ignore my camera.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Too funny, TAG

Quoted:
1.  If you're going up a long, steep hill, push down harder on the gas pedal. This will help you maintain at least most of your speed.

2. If you're about to turn, don't stop on the road, turn on your signal and then start accelerating to make your turn.

3. If you want to glance over at something while you're driving, don't slow down and don't drift into other lanes.

5. When getting onto the interstate, it is very rare that you should do so while applying your brakes. (There's a reason that's called the acceleration lane).

9. If you've gone under the bridge mentioned above, don't brake when you see the sunshine again as you emerge on the other side.

10. If you're crossing over a bridge, don't brake as you enter or leave the bridge.

13. When the light is red, keep watching so you'll have some clue when it turns green.

16. Don't flick your cigarette out the window, nor empty your ashtray out the window.

Thank you for your cooperation. hr
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ladies, feel free to ignore this.

The road can be boring and lonesome.  You do what you gotta do.  And, uh... ignore my camera.  

Nothing like a peep show at 70mph!!!!

Travis
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there a stop sign?  No?  A yield sign?  No?  THEN WHY ARE YOU BRAKING?!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#18]
here's one for Cali drivers.  The carpool lane was designed for people to be able to go faster in traffic if they have two or more people in the car.  If your 74 POS lawn truck can't go faster than 30 with all the crap in the back you shouldn't be on the freeway let alone the carpool lane.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually, acceleration is both speeding up and slowing down.  Acceleration is change in the rate of speed

deceleration is merely negative acceleration
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]
You forgot:

Don't cut me off while yammering into your GODDAMNED CELLPHONE.  HANGUP THE FUCKING PHONE WHEN YOU'RE MERGING INTO RUSH-HOUR TRAFFIC, YOU STUPID FUCKING BITCHES!!!!
DISCLAIMER:  This is not meant to be directed towards any individual the frequents ARFCOM, as we all know we are the most responsible, courteous, conscientious people on the roads.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You forgot:

Don't cut me off while yammering into your GODDAMNED CELLPHONE.  HANGUP THE FUCKING PHONE WHEN YOU'RE MERGING INTO RUSH-HOUR TRAFFIC, YOU STUPID FUCKING BITCHES!!!!
DISCLAIMER:  This is not meant to be directed towards any individual the frequents ARFCOM, as we all know we are the most responsible, courteous, conscientious people on the roads.

No disclaimer needed. I made it generalized for just that reason.  

After doing some driving today, here's one more;

17. When you know that the right lane you're driving in ends just ahead, don't floor it to cut off all of us who are already in the left lane, and then drop down to fifteen MPH below the speed limit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Nationwide...

Same thing goes for the rest of the country... you expect me to just hop my 80,000 pound rig over a lane just so you can get on the big road? Guess what, it is standard rules of the road that continuing traffic has the right of way. YOU are merging, I'm going in a straight line.

That might be all and good ..

And I tend to agree with you...

However .. here in Utah (just for your information) the vehicle in the righthand lane HAS to allow the oncoming trafic to merge...

It may not be the way you want it or the way you feel it should be .. but as they say .. 186,000 Miles per second ... it is not just a good idea .. it is the law ..
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

DEAL WITH IT.  

Most truckers I see DO move over when it is possible to let merging traffic onto the freeway.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thank you for your cooperation.

17.  If you are not passing someone, get the fuck out of the left lane.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#25]
18.  "Merge" is not a fancy French word for "Stop".
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It amazes me at how many morons are on the road.

you aint lyin!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

A California merge is to trundle down the on ramp at 35 mph max.  When you get to the interstate, immediately shoot accross all lanes to the far left, while maintaining 35 mph.  After checking to see that their are no highway patrol accelerate gradually to 70 mph.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#28]
19.  If you've got something more important to do than drive, (e.g. chat on the phone, read the paper, finish your soup)  get the hell off the road and take care of it.

Link Posted: 7/11/2006 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A California merge is to trundle down the on ramp at 35 mph max.  When you get to the interstate, immediately shoot accross all lanes to the far left, while maintaining 35 mph.  After checking to see that their are no highway patrol accelerate gradually to 70 mph.

Atlanta merge is just a bit different, do 75-80 mph on the highway in the LEFT lane, then approx 100-150 feet before your exit, shoot across 6 lanes of traffic, pray that you don't get hit, and well if you miss you exit, slam it in reverse and back up so you can get back to the on ramp.

Fuckin Atlanta Dive Bombers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I pay taxes for all lanes of the road, my tax money also pays for the shoulders of that road, I will use them accordingly
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#31]
If you're waiting to pull out of your driveway and see that there is nothing behind me, please don't pull out in front of me, causing me to hit my brakes and then proceed to drive 15 mph below the speed limit before turning (without signalling) 200 yards further down the road.

Oh, and vehicles don't come with turn signals as optional. They have them for a reason. Use them. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I always slow down for green lights and I always take an extra second or two before entering an intersection after a light changes.

I did that the other day and some stupid fuck still almost T-boned me. i heard the most horrible screeching tires on my right as I'm clearing the intersection. I look over and some beat up POS car was barreling down the road toward me. The rear of my vehicle BARELY cleared him before he blew through the intersection through a red light that had been red for about 6-7 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#33]
If you are in the left lane and 20 people just shot by you in the right lane, then perhaps you are driving like an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You forgot:

...........damn right!  
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#35]
21) When speeding up to make that yellow light be sure the car in front of you does the same
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Brake into the turn, accellerate out. Not so difficult. And try two 45's rather than one 90.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You forgot the most important freeway driving tip. Maintain your proper following distance. Stop and go 'Slinkies' are caused not by slow drivers but by drivers crowding and not allowing for compression of the traffic.

+1000

Most tailgaters have delusions of grandeur that they're Bobby LaBonte or Dale Jr ...

... whereas if they had more than an 8th grade education they'd know that tailgating is the primary cause of traffic jams.  

Traffic behaves as a one-dimensional compressible liquid (in terms of fluid dynamics).  Tailgating makes compression difficult and results in jams.

The funny thing is that most tailgaters are proud and think it's the "slowpokes" they tailgate that cause problems.  Sgtar15 was one of them.  It's like a Lorcin owner looking down his nose at the owner of a Purdey shotgun.

The next time you are stuck in gridlock, thank the tailgater for your troubles.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#38]
use EUROPEAN spec mirror lenses, they come with blind spot mirror built in.

Link Posted: 7/12/2006 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#39]
xx.  If the phone conversation is important enough for you to carry on while driving, thus impairing your attention and risking your life, the life of your passengers, and others on the road, than it is important enough to PULL OVER to take.  Otherwise, wait until you get where you're going.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Another one:

xx.  The left lane is known as either the 'fast lane' or the 'passing lane'.  If you're not doing either, move to the right.   If you're crusing and a vehicle approaches from behind, move to the right.  If a vehicle passes you on the right, you need to move one lane to the right.  Repeat as neccessary.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~dthaus/IMG_0619.JPG

I added blind spot mirrors to the outside mirrors on all my vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

Most tailgaters have delusions of grandeur that they're Bobby LaBonte or Dale Jr ...

... whereas if they had more than an 8th grade education they'd know that tailgating is the primary cause of traffic jams.  

Traffic behaves as a one-dimensional compressible liquid (in terms of fluid dynamics).  Tailgating makes compression difficult and results in jams.

The funny thing is that most tailgaters are proud and think it's the "slowpokes" they tailgate that cause problems.  Sgtar15 was one of them.  It's like a Lorcin owner looking down his nose at the owner of a Purdey shotgun.

The next time you are stuck in gridlock, thank the tailgater for your troubles.  

See the thread about manual vs automatic trannies for this.  I drive manuals exclusively and find that just using 2nd or 3rd gear and maintaining a constant speed in traffic like that works pretty well.  The people behind you may get pissed but they don't seem to realize that you will catch up to the other traffic eventually without all the tap dancing on the brake pedal crap that goes on.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If your mirrors are PROPERLY adjusted, you don't need those things.

(You should NOT be able to see the side of your vehicle in your side rear view mirrors. )
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(You should NOT be able to see the side of your vehicle in your side rear view mirrors. )

Bull hockey.  A car in what is normally your blind spot shows up nicely in these.  This is especially critical in a truck with a closed bed such as a camper top.  It also comes in handy in my RX7 which has a nice blind spot on both sides.

I don't care how much a normal mirror is PROPERLY adjusted, you are still going to have BLIND SPOTS.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Atlanta merge is just a bit different, do 75-80 mph on the highway in the LEFT lane, then approx 100-150 feet before your exit, shoot across 6 lanes of traffic, pray that you don't get hit, and well if you miss you exit, slam it in reverse and back up so you can get back to the on ramp.

Fuckin Atlanta Dive Bombers.

And I really have to resist the urge to follow them and "enlighten" their dumb asses.  Idiots like this will ride in the left lane with their heads up their asses not caring that they are holding up traffic until it is time for them to exit.  They either don't realize or don't care that they are not the only person on the road.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#47]
STAY OUT OF THE FAST LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, no, this doesn't bother me at all
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Pay attention and think about how your driving affects others, including the person behind you.

Did you screw up find yourself in the wrong lane? Too bad. Do NOT slow up or stop to find room to make a last second merge. Go to the next exit and turn around.

The right hand lane is for dopesmokers, do your slow driving there please.

Do NOT drive beside anyone. This is far more dangerous than tailgating. Pass them or get behind them.

Clear the passing lane when someone’s driving slower than the flow of traffic. Get around the slow person and move over in front of them. That gives other people a chance to get around grandma.

When you go to make a righthand turn, put your signal on and accelerate a bit. This opens up some clearance between you and the car behind you. Then brake and make your turn at a brisk but safe speed. The person following you will let off the gas (if they know what they are doing) when your signal comes on to gain a bit more separation. But you will have cleared the lane before he has to brake too much.

Try not to block the right hand lane at lights in case someone needs to turn right. Sometimes it’s not practical, but try.

In heavy traffic, accelerate at a brisk but reasonable rate at stoplights. That light is only staying green for so long and there are people behind you who want to make it through. At most intersections it’s real easy to tell if people are stopping before the light changes… You are watching, aren’t you?

Unlike racing, you want all of the people who are faster than you are in front of you and all the people who are slower than you are behind you. That means you need to work traffic and get in front of the slow people while letting the fast people by. Putting along behind the slow driver just makes the traffic jam they cause worse, get around them if you can.

On the other hand, remember that some people don’t manage to escape from the nursing home much. Others are really, really, stoned off their ass. And, some people just don’t want the cops to find that dead hooker they’ve got stashed in the trunk. These people have a reason to drive slow and you aren’t going to be able to push them out of the way until bump drafting is legalized. So, when you run up on some rolling roadblock caused by a doper in a drag race with an Alzheimer’s patient try not to overreact.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bull hockey.  A car in what is normally your blind spot shows up nicely in these.  This is especially critical in a truck with a closed bed such as a camper top.  It also comes in handy in my RX7 which has a nice blind spot on both sides.

I don't care how much a normal mirror is PROPERLY adjusted, you are still going to have BLIND SPOTS.

Unless your peripheral vision is hosed, you're incorrect.  Sure, you do have some very small blind spots, often times due to the B and C pillars in your vehicle, but not big enough to obsure a whole other vehicle.  

Basically, if you're looking to your right side mirror, you should be able to see everything in your mirror and your peripheral vision.  Same with the left side.  

I have my side mirrors adjusted so that when I lean far to the left for the left mirror, and vice versa, I can see down the side of the car.  Sitting straight up, I cannot see my car in the side mirrors.    When a car is coming up behind me, say in the lane to my right, I see the car in my center mirror... then before it's completely gone, I can see the car in my right side mirror, by the time it starts leaving that field of view, I can see the car in my peripheral vision.   Pretty much the same with my left mirror.  

Now, something 6 lanes over to the right or left, I may not be able to see, but I have no problem seeing cars in the adjacent lanes, regardless of where they are relative to my vehicle.  And I do it without any additional mirrors.  

YMMV.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless your peripheral vision is hosed, you're incorrect.  Sure, you do have some very small blind spots, often times due to the B and C pillars in your vehicle, but not big enough to obsure a whole other vehicle.  

Basically, if you're looking to your right side mirror, you should be able to see everything in your mirror and your peripheral vision.  Same with the left side.  

I have my side mirrors adjusted so that when I lean far to the left for the left mirror, and vice versa, I can see down the side of the car.  Sitting straight up, I cannot see my car in the side mirrors.    When a car is coming up behind me, say in the lane to my right, I see the car in my center mirror... then before it's completely gone, I can see the car in my right side mirror, by the time it starts leaving that field of view, I can see the car in my peripheral vision.   Pretty much the same with my left mirror.  

Now, something 6 lanes over to the right or left, I may not be able to see, but I have no problem seeing cars in the adjacent lanes, regardless of where they are relative to my vehicle.  And I do it without any additional mirrors.  

YMMV.  

So, you sit there and look at nothing but your mirrors.  I pay a lot of attention to my mirrors but not so I can watch a car pass from mirror to mirror.

When I am merging onto an expressway behind other cars, I do not wish to be having to lean to one side or the other nor turning my head in case some dummy in front of me slams on his brakes.

My peripheral vision is fine and YOU are the one who is incorrect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top