Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 12:51:20 PM EDT
Anyone recommend one for use on various weapons* (from pistol slides, to magazine bodies, to AR chambers) ?

Thanks.

*Edit - Realized after posting that I should clearly preclude genitalia from the list of weapons.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Graphite
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Any particular brand that is specific to firearms ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Graphite

+1 on Graphite powder.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm liking this stuff.

Strike-Hold

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
millitech
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Graphite

I believe Armalite VERY SPECIFICALLY said to keep graphite away form their firearms.

Edit:

From the Armalite web site. www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote62.htm

8.  Do not experiment with other oils and greases.  Military personnel, especially, should not experiment with other lubricants (WD40, vehicle lubricating oils, etc) unless CLP or another military-grade cleaner or lubricant is not available.  Many commercial products are poor lubricants and can interact badly with the lubricants already on the firearm if the first layer is not thoroughly removed.  Graphite-bearing lubricants will damage aluminum parts… do not use.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
millitech

Dry lube?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]
graphite on aluminum will cause corrosion
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
...the only place there is aluminum is the actual receiver, which is parkerized...  the places you truly need lubricant are steel - bolt, carrier interior.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't use graphite in an AR receiver, parkerized or no, it'll saw right through the friction areas supporting the bolt-carrier, in short order.
A dry teflon product would be better.
Steel handguns - graphite +1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
A noticed that there was a copper colored lubricant powder on the slide of a new Glock I picked up.
Anyone know what that stuff was ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A noticed that there was a copper colored lubricant powder on the slide of a new Glock I picked up.

I spoke with a Glock rep about lubrication, and he said that most people over-lubricate their Glock, he goes one drop of oil on each of the slide rails, and on the barrel near the muzzle is all you need. He goes any more is wasted. The rental Glock at my now-closed indoor range went 750,000 rounds, 500,000 on the 1st slide. The range guys only clean the glocks when it jams and most of the time they don't bother to relube it, and send it out again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Per Glock, it's an anti-seize compound placed there at the factory. Glock says to leave it there till it wears off on it's own during break-in then lube per the manual. All it takes is 3-4 drops to lube the whole pistol. If interested, IM me and I'll see if I can post the lube guidelines out of the Armorer's manual.

Bub
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the offer Bub.

I was really more interested in finding a similar dry-lubricant for my other weapons.

Per Glock, it's an anti-seize compound placed there at the factory. Glock says to leave it there till it wears off on it's own during break-in then lube per the manual. All it takes is 3-4 drops to lube the whole pistol. If interested, IM me and I'll see if I can post the lube guidelines out of the Armorer's manual.

Bub

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had good luck with this:

www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/maintenance_index.asp?categoryID=2&subcat=9

Scroll down to "Moly Lube™ Dry Film Lubricant".
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the tip - I'll try it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top